Daryl Powell: Warrington boss says 'not many teams fear playing us' in scathing assessment after cup exit

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Daryl Powell: Warrington boss says 'not many teams fear playing us' in scathing assessment after cup exit

Post by josie andrews »

Warrington boss Daryl Powell says none of his squad are currently performing well in a scathing assessment following their Challenge Cup sixth-round defeat by Wakefield.

Sunday's loss was the second at home to Trinity in the space of eight days.

The Wire, who had led 12-0 against Wakefield before losing 16-12, have now lost four games back to back.

"At the minute I don't think there're many teams who fear playing against us," he told BBC Radio Manchester.

"We've just been beaten twice by Wakefield at home. We've been beaten by Catalans at home. It's ridiculous. It's clearly not good enough.

"I've asked them the question. How many players are playing consistently well? That's none, being absolutely honest."

Since Powell's arrival at the club from Castleford for the start of this season, he has led them to three wins from seven matches in all competitions.

His side are currently sixth in Super League, with three wins.

Powell continued: "If we get something wrong and give a penalty away, for example, we are under so much pressure. We cannot keep a team out on our own try-line.

"Mentally you've got to be in a place where you can do what you need to do in a tough arena. [But] it is a tough arena. Get over it and get on with it.

"The players have to be able to trust each other implicitly on a rugby field and I don't think we've got that at the moment.

"I don't think at any point from round one we've handled being put under pressure. We have to have player accountability and they've got to fix themselves up in their heads."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/60894757
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Charriots Offiah

Re: Daryl Powell: Warrington boss says 'not many teams fear playing us' in scathing assessment after cup exit

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Incorrect, nobody fears them at the moment.
medlocke

Re: Daryl Powell: Warrington boss says 'not many teams fear playing us' in scathing assessment after cup exit

Post by medlocke »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 7:10 pm Incorrect, nobodies ever feared them.
There fixed it for you :lol: :lol:
pedro

Post by pedro »

I disagree, I think teams do fear them., its why they are bringing their "A" game
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

A fair old test for them at the weekend with a trip to HKR.
HKR fans will be full of it after their club buying and owning the ground.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Risky move from Powell so early in the season to throw all the players under the bus publicly

I have rarely seen this tactic work unless you're a well established successful coach
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
archiekeith

Post by archiekeith »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:42 am Risky move from Powell so early in the season to throw all the players under the bus publicly

I have rarely seen this tactic work unless you're a well established successful coach
Agree. Just watched the game Brilliant open fast flowing. All tries a joy to see. Well reffed over all. I'd watch rugby every day played that way. We have a job on in next round. Wakey not a roll over on this form. Great advert for RL
jobo

Post by jobo »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:42 am Risky move from Powell so early in the season to throw all the players under the bus publicly

Agreed.

Allways looks to me like someone who is covering their back.
First Try Tickle

Post by First Try Tickle »

Typical Powell, its never his fault.

They had no idea on Wakefield's line, who fault is that ?

Its up to him to set the lines for players to run and how Williams and Widdop should run.

Surprised he didn't mention the ref either, he usually has something to do with his team losing.
ddtftf

Post by ddtftf »

Sad to see George Williams form dip so low kicking game was awful and he is like a headless chicken running everywhere with no structure, but thought Widdop had a good game they just dont mix at halfback. The difference was the Wakefield halfbacks drew the line before passing to draw the defenders in and George as he did at Wigan passes well before the line