Pay it Forward

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
AndyNick

Pay it Forward

Post by AndyNick »

My wife couldn't go to last nights game, nor could any of my mates who sometimes come to games either. (Thursday night a major factor but that's another rant for another day) That meant that I went on my tod and my wife's season ticket went unused.

This got me thinking. A few years back, I found myself in a bad place mental health wise (I'm a lot better now) and one of the major things that helped me was going to live sport. It was a couple of hours where I could leave my problems at the turnstyles and use my energy on something else. Indeed during the pandemic one of the things I struggled with most was not having the escape of Live sport and i'm sure i'm not alone in that one.

So I was thinking the club could look into introducing a "Pay it Forward" scheme where season ticket holders who can't attend a game can make their ticket available, or indeed a fan can donate an extra ticket. The club could then use these to get people to games who are struggling. As prices go up across the board people are going to be struggling and going to the match may well be something that needs to be sacrificed. Thinking of how much it helped me when I was at my lowest I would hate to think that someone last night was unable to go to the match due to personal circumstances whilst I sat on my own with a spare ticket in my pocket. Is "State of Mind" still going? Perhaps this could be something they would consider?
the pieman

Re: Pay it Forward

Post by the pieman »

AndyNick wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 8:17 am My wife couldn't go to last nights game, nor could any of my mates who sometimes come to games either. (Thursday night a major factor but that's another rant for another day) That meant that I went on my tod and my wife's season ticket went unused.

This got me thinking. A few years back, I found myself in a bad place mental health wise (I'm a lot better now) and one of the major things that helped me was going to live sport. It was a couple of hours where I could leave my problems at the turnstyles and use my energy on something else. Indeed during the pandemic one of the things I struggled with most was not having the escape of Live sport and i'm sure i'm not alone in that one.

So I was thinking the club could look into introducing a "Pay it Forward" scheme where season ticket holders who can't attend a game can make their ticket available, or indeed a fan can donate an extra ticket. The club could then use these to get people to games who are struggling. As prices go up across the board people are going to be struggling and going to the match may well be something that needs to be sacrificed. Thinking of how much it helped me when I was at my lowest I would hate to think that someone last night was unable to go to the match due to personal circumstances whilst I sat on my own with a spare ticket in my pocket. Is "State of Mind" still going? Perhaps this could be something they would consider?
I think they did / do something like that already AndyNick

i used to attend with my dad and very often 1 or both of us couldnt attend a game, so just 2 empty seats unless a friend took up our tickets

Certainly a good idea, especially as you say from a mental health perspective, but i suspect equally from a financial perspective for some people at the minute
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Great post Andy, a great post & a very good idea.

Watching Wigan Warriors has always helped me, now & in the past, to get away from chronic depression even if only for a couple of hours, it’s a God send.

State of Mind is still playing a strong part in Rugby League, also Behind a Smile too, two charities dealing with mental health.

Ian Smith, the ex referee, has a lot to do with SoM. I think also too, Steve McCormack, who used to be the Players Welfare Manager here at Wigan Warriors is now in that role at the RFL 😊
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
w.thomas

Post by w.thomas »

I think that’s a really good idea mate. A couple of hours of live sport to take your mind of your troubles would be a great help I’m sure. Maybe you could email the club and see what they say?