Wigan squad for Wakefield

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Wigan squad for Wakefield

Post by josie andrews »

21-man squad named for Monday’s Betfred Super League game against Wakefield.

Head Coach Matt Peet has named his squad as the Warriors welcome Trinity for Family Fun Day at the DW Stadium.

Wigan Warriors v Wakefield Trinity, Monday 18th April, 3:00pm K.O.

Matt Peet has named his 21-player Wigan Warriors squad for Monday’s Betfred Super League Round 9 fixture against Wakefield Trinity.

The Warriors welcome Wakefield on Easter Monday following the short turnaround from the Good Friday derby, as part of Family Fun Day with the Warriors. The first team game kicks off at 3pm, with plenty of entertainment for the family going on around the ground and at Robin Park Arena.

Team News

Matt Peet makes one change to his 21-player squad from Friday as Thomas Leuluai drops out through injury as Kaide Ellis comes in following the completion of a five-match suspension.

Wigan squad to face Wakefield Trinity:

1 BevanFrench
2 Jake Bibby
6 Cade Cust
8 Brad Singleton
9 Sam Powell
10 Patrick Mago
11 Willie Isa
12 Liam Farrell
13 John Bateman
14 Morgan Smithies
15 Kaide Ellis
16 Harry Smith
17 Oliver Partington
19 Ethan Havard
20 Liam Byrne
22 Joe Shorrocks
23 Jai Field
24 Abbas Miski
25 Sam Halsall
26 James McDonald
28 BradO’Neill

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2022/04/ ... kefield-2/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
stevo38

Re: Wigan squad for Wakefield

Post by stevo38 »

no hardaker again what happened to one match
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

It’s potentially a good thing that we get a chance to remind ourselves that we can compete very well at the level below Saints, as long as we don’t have a hangover from the nature of the defeat. I thought Zak was just missing the one game? I was assuming we could field Hardaker and Halsall, which would improve the 3/4s. As it is, surely Halsall will come in for Miski? Ellis for Partington for mine - hopefully he can make a positive difference. Home sweet home for the lads.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Matt Peet did say he wouldn’t be selected this weekend!
On Zak Hardaker, Peet said: “Zak dipped under some of our standards in the last week, but he’s been good today. We had a good conversation with him this morning and he understands and we move on as a group, this week unfortunately it is without Zak but he’s trained well this week and he is still very much still part of the team. What is important now for us and for Zak is how we move forward.”
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

I'm surprised Powell is selected.
This one will be hard one, it's annoying to say but we will miss TLs hard hitting defence.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Caboosegg wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 11:00 am I'm surprised Powell is selected.
This one will be hard one, it's annoying to say but we will miss TLs hard hitting defence.
I'm not. He is going to take an enforced rest after this game.
Wormburner

Post by Wormburner »

Caboosegg wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 11:00 am I'm surprised Powell is selected.
Is there a video clip of Powell incident, I turned the game off after their try following Lomax's ball strip being given as a knock on, It really put the icing on the cake for me that like, surely any decent ref would have let us score and sent it to the video ref for the correct decision, for me that is what changed the game.
Let's is a contraction of “let us.” You use it to make suggestions about what you and someone else should do. Let's is NOT a promise
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

josie andrews wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 9:16 am Matt Peet did say he wouldn’t be selected this weekend!
On Zak Hardaker, Peet said: “Zak dipped under some of our standards in the last week, but he’s been good today. We had a good conversation with him this morning and he understands and we move on as a group, this week unfortunately it is without Zak but he’s trained well this week and he is still very much still part of the team. What is important now for us and for Zak is how we move forward.”
Any news on Tommy? His injury didn't look good but I hope that it is not as bad as feared.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

josie andrews wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 9:16 am Matt Peet did say he wouldn’t be selected this weekend!
Not true. To be pedantic that week will be last week by Monday. He didn’t mention the weekend as your quote clearly shows. So he has been dropped for longer than a week.

I expected him to be playing on Monday precisely because Peet said he was dropped for a week.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

I might be in the minority but I think the club are correct on both Powell and hardaker

Powell for all his faults is not a dirty player and while it was a horror tackle and a big ban is coming he is eligible and therefore should play - i think Sam will know he’s let himself and the club down but This is an isolated incident for a normally clean player

Hardaker a punishment was laid out from the start and part of that punishment will be letting his teammates down - one of the key principles of building a solid team is having players who will be there for eachother Zak has to watch his mates struggle without him and if he is a good team mate he will repay them when he is back.

So for me the club are doing the right thing in both situations
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure