Wigan Warriors star John Bateman makes future admission

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Wigan Warriors star John Bateman makes future admission

Post by josie andrews »

John Bateman has become one of the greatest backrowers in Super League – if not world rugby league.

With the ability to more than damage those twice his size and weight, Bateman is likely to be a shoo-in for the World Cup at the end of 2022.

In doing so, the former Bradford Bulls youngster will rub shoulders against a number of ex-teammates from his days playing at the Canberra Raiders in 2019 and 2020.

During those two years, Bateman earned a reputation for himself as one of the toughest in the game, helping the Raiders to a Grand Final in 2019 as the second-rower scooped up the Dally M Medal for his position.

Being from Bradford, however, the 28-year-old continually gets asked whether or not he would ever return to Odsal.

I have been asked this a few times and I do keep tabs on Bradford and still have a couple of mates that play there,” Bateman told Rugby League World.

“It’s tough because Bradford are in the Championship and I never see myself playing Championship rugby, but it’s one of those things.

I’m at Wigan at the moment and don’t look ahead of being at Wigan, but you never know what’s going to happen.

“It was one of my proudest moments to start there and would be a proud moment to finish there. It has always held a special place in my heart.”

https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/wigan-wa ... ion-52841/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Barney841

Re: Wigan Warriors star John Bateman makes future admission

Post by Barney841 »

He can go back to the bulls now for me.
Stealing are living at Wigan at the moment
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Barney841 wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 7:13 pm He can go back to the bulls now for me.
Definitely doesn’t merit Marquee salary!!
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
The booze hound

Post by The booze hound »

josie andrews wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 7:26 pm
Barney841 wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 7:13 pm He can go back to the bulls now for me.
He's doing well. Not at his best yet but still giving 100%. I think when he gets a run of games in his best position it'll start to click for him.
Gerrumonside

Post by Gerrumonside »

I agree and seems to be getting better each week - he’s certainly putting the effort in these last few games.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

The booze hound wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 7:30 pm
He's doing well. Not at his best yet but still giving 100%. I think when he gets a run of games in his best position it'll start to click for him.
Hasn’t he played second row for 90% of this season so far?

Probably had 2/3 very good games, a few good, a few bad and a few terrible.

That isn’t worthy of marquee money, especially when you consider he wasn’t better than “good” last year.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

nathan_rugby wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 8:54 pm
The booze hound wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 7:30 pm

Hasn’t he played second row for 90% of this season so far?

Probably had 2/3 very good games, a few good, a few bad and a few terrible.

That isn’t worthy of marquee money, especially when you consider he wasn’t better than “good” last year.
And he definitely shouldn’t be wearing the 13 shirt!! Not worthy of that number considering the players who’ve worn it in the past!!
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

It’s a tough one on Bateman because he set the bar so high pre nrl

He was worth 6-12 points a game across defence and attack and he had that strength where he played far above his weight

However he now doesn’t play above his weight - he’s still having some decent games but he now just looks like every other back rower in the comp but he isn’t as big as most
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 10:43 pm It’s a tough one on Bateman because he set the bar so high pre nrl

He was worth 6-12 points a game across defence and attack and he had that strength where he played far above his weight

However he now doesn’t play above his weight - he’s still having some decent games but he now just looks like every other back rower in the comp but he isn’t as big as most
He just seems to be going through the motions IMO
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 10:43 pm It’s a tough one on Bateman because he set the bar so high pre nrl

That's pretty much where I am with him. A solid SL performer, yes, but certainly not a world-class superstar any more.