Challenge Cup records

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
morley pie eater

Challenge Cup records

Post by morley pie eater »

So we won our (record) 20th Challenge Cup. Who is next after us?

The question isn't as straightforward as it sounds, and it's a bee-in-my-bonnet scam that's behind it.

The top 3 in the "official" records are...
Wigan 20
Leeds 14
Saints 13
...but this is false due to some Yorkshire skulduggery.

In World War 2, at first the cup was cancelled (1939/40 season).
Then the government realised that the people working at home to help the war effort, and soldiers on leave needed some entertainment, so it was started again. But teams were allowed to "sign" any available player on a match-by-match basis. So a Wigan player could play for Doncaster if they happened to be stationed nearby. Also, someone who played in a losing team could (and did) play for another team in the next round!

Nothing wrong with this in the circumstances, but for 30 years plus after the war, these games didn't count in official records, for reasons which are clear above.

Sometime in the 70s or early 80s, when the RFL was coincidentally based on Chapeltown Road in Leeds, this changed and the wartime finals were included in official records. This was at a time when it was nip-and-tuck between Wigan and Leeds for who'd won the cup most.

Now, during the war, Leeds had access to players from the massive Catterick garrison, and unsurprisingly won the cup twice. Wigan didn't win it in the war years. Dewsbury, Bradford Northern and Huddersfield won it once each.

So the true top 3 shouldn't read
Wigan 20, Leeds 14, Saints 13....

but should be...
Wigan 20, Saints 13, Leeds 12.....just saying "for the record" :D
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
DaveO

Re: Challenge Cup records

Post by DaveO »

I like it.

Maybe the Wigan RL Heritage Society can start a campaign to set the record straight?

I am sure the Challenge Cup history has a Wikipedia page and since in theory anyone can edit the page, why not pop over and do so? At least add an asterisk against the stats citing what you say above.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

DaveO wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 1:38 am I like it.

Maybe the Wigan RL Heritage Society can start a campaign to set the record straight?

I am sure the Challenge Cup history has a Wikipedia page and since in theory anyone can edit the page, why not pop over and do so? At least add an asterisk against the stats citing what you say above.
Thanks, Dave.

I have made an odd small addition on Wikipedia before, but it's quite technical and this would be way above my abilities. It always niggles though, but I suppose we're so far ahead of Leeds that it doesn't matter that much now :lol: :lol: :lol:
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
6742hitch

Post by 6742hitch »

Maybe they could put a letter/s next to the date to denote the circumstances at the time, don’t know what they could be though.🤷‍♂️