“I didn’t ever think it was going to be a card” – Matt Peet on Morgan Smithies tackle and “interesting” Ian Watson comme

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

“I didn’t ever think it was going to be a card” – Matt Peet on Morgan Smithies tackle and “interesting” Ian Watson comme

Post by josie andrews »

Today Matt Peet wrote his name into the history of Wigan Warriors forever as he led his side to their 20th Challenge Cup trophy with a dramatic 16-14 win over Huddersfield decided by a late Liam Marshall try.

After the game, Peet reflected on his emotions:

“It hasn’t sunk in but I’m looking forward to it sinking in and the players, the staff, the town celebrating it.

“As for how I feel now: delighted, proud.

I can sit here and be proud that people are happy that we’ve played a part in them having a great weekend.”

He believed that the game wasn’t just won in the big moment at the end but rather in the player’s commitment: “In the player’s commitment to one another, handling certain moments well and at certain times still being prepared to play.”

He also credited opponents Huddersfield who were exceptional on the day: “Exceptionally tough, you can see what they’re building, I think Ian’s teams are so resilient and well structured with the ball. You know you have to be 100% right to defend the shapes they have.

“They completed well and executed for most of the game the perfect game plan but where they were particularly impressive was their scramble efforts. We have players that you can’t give them an inch so I think if you look at the game as a whole, they’ll take a lot of pride in their commitment to stop that.”

There was a controversial moment in the final when Morgan Smithies gave away a second penalty for a head high tackle with many believing a yellow card should have been shown. None was forthcoming and Peet believed this was correct: “I didn’t ever think it was going to be a card but you never know.”

That’s where he and Ian Watson disagree with Watson saying the opposite as well as claiming his side were the better team.

Peet responded to these claims after the game: “It’s interesting that he’s said that. There’s a lot of markers that can be signals of winning a game but at the end of it it’s who stays in the fight for longer.

“They completed high and didn’t give many penalties away but we scored more points.”

https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/i-didnt- ... nts-53730/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: “I didn’t ever think it was going to be a card” – Matt Peet on Morgan Smithies tackle and “interesting” Ian Watson c

Post by josie andrews »

Huddersfield Giants boss fuming after Wigan Warriors defeat

Huddersfield Giants coach Ian Watson reckoned his side were 'the best team for large parts of the game' after having the Challenge Cup stolen away by Wigan Warriors.

The Giants had looked on course to end their 69-year wait for a win in the competition when they led 14-12 until the 76th minute, only for Marshall to touch down and snatch glory for Wigan.

And Watson, whose Salford side lost by a point to Leeds in the 2020 final, believes that was tough on his players.

Massively tough, the boys put in an enormous shift. I thought we were outstanding as a group," he said.

"I think we were the best team for large parts of the game and we've just not got what we deserve probably.

"It's worse than the other time being here for sure because they deserved that.

"I do (think Huddersfield were the better team), and that's what hurts.

"Because they've put that effort in and it's just come down to one little moment in the game where they've caught us and generally that's what the big games are."

Watson also believes Wigan prop Morgan Smithies was fortunate to stay on the pitch, after being penalised - but not carded - for a couple of challenges in the second period.

"I was expecting more if I'm being honest," said Watson. "But he didn't give it, and it is what it is.

"We'll have to see what the match review panel decides, but I did think it was a little bit of a deciding moment.

"It could have gone either way...it could have been a sin-binning or a sending off, with the contact he made.

"Whether he had a good enough view of it, I don't know.

"But if I call the referee in here I'm going to get another fine, so I'm not going to do that."

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby- ... at-3713035
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
josie andrews

Re: “I didn’t ever think it was going to be a card” – Matt Peet on Morgan Smithies tackle and “interesting” Ian Watson c

Post by josie andrews »

What a horrible, bitter little man! Just because he played for Wales, he is still part of the United Kingdom but he didn’t sing the National Anthem!! What a bitter little man he has become!

Have a bit of humility in defeat!

Lose with some grace. Show respect to whomever or whatever has defeated you. Shake hands with your opponent, and congratulate him on a job well done.

Whether you lost a fight, a debate, or a competition, try not to resort to pettiness!

You won't be able to reverse the results by complaining about them, Wigan Warriors won that battle!

Why does he have to be bitter toward the winner. Be as polite and gracious as possible. Your time will come….just not this time! 😊

Perhaps he wanted to become Wigan coach?? 🤔🤔
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Ian Watson’s thoughts on Morgan Smithies head high tackle, Chris Hill injury update and missed conversion attempts

For the third time in his career, Ian Watson has had to deal with the heartache of a final loss.

But this one could have hurt even more given how dominant Huddersfield were for large parts of the game only for a brilliant Liam Marshall try to deny them at the death.

After the game, Watson summed up his emotions: “Massively tough. The boys put in massive shift and I thought they were outstanding and the best team for large parts of the game.

“We just not got what we deserved today probably. It’s worse than the other times because we deserved it today.”

When the Giants were totally on top, key forward Chris Hill limped off the field taking with him most of the Giants’ final experience especially with Theo Fages absent.

Watson explained how this loss impacted his team and gave an update on the prop: “It’s huge, especially on the back of not having Theo Fages. Those kind of players are massive in these kind of games. Chris Hill I thought was outstanding and killing it to be fair so to lose him was a big big blow.

“Having him come on for a second spell might have just given us that little bit more composure to be able to dominate the field position again.

“We think it’s his calf we’ll have to send him for a scan. We don’t know how long it will be.”

The Giants lost by just two points today a cruel margin made worse by the fact Tui Lolohea missed four shots at goal which could have seen the Giants win had only two of them sailed between the sticks.

Watson however stated that they won’t dwell on these misses and that there were bigger reasons for their defeat: “It is what it is. Goal kickers are labelled but we could have still won the game without that before and I’ve had a good conversation with Tui.

There’s other situations where we’ve lost this game.”

Lastly, he had his say on Morgan Smithies two high tackles one of which would likely have yielded a yellow card at the start of the season during the crack down on contact with the head.

Watson was surprised no card was shown: “I was expecting more if I’m honest but he didn’t give it. We’ll have to see what the match review panel say, I thought it was a deciding moment to be fair.”

https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/ian-wats ... pts-53729/
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

I thought his post match interview was well balanced and polite but this does read bitter.

It was swing and and round abouts and there was plenty they got away with.

There was a knee (looked on purpose) to Singletons face missed which slowed us down as he tried to complain to to the ref.

There was the professional foul holding down to get to 40 min when they had no defence set where it was only a pentalty given.

The high shot on Farrell stopped our momentum and was also ignored (despite the similar tackle on Greenwood being picked up)

Either of these could be "game changing moments" that went against us, but yes Huddersfield where the better attacking team yesterday. Wigan gave them so much easy ball with errors, however Wigans defence held only conceding 3 tries and we took our chances.

Why is everything about how Huddersfield played amazing and its a shame they lost. It should be how a young team was so resilient on defence they held the giants to 3 tries before claiming the challenge cup with a 77th minute try.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Mickw

Post by Mickw »

I think Mr Watson's team did very well out of the referee yesterday, we've had nothing in terms of decisions in either the semi final or the final, we did it the hard way.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Mickw wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 8:29 am I think Mr Watson's team did very well out of the referee yesterday, we've had nothing in terms of decisions in either the semi final or the final, we did it the hard way.
True said the same thing at the game!
EagleEyePie

Post by EagleEyePie »

Watson has form for criticising referees but I don't think his comments are that bad. He's right that Smithies was lucky to stay on the field. At the start of the season that 2nd challenge is a red card. I'm surprised he wasn't at least sin binned for it as it's a clear swinging arm making direct contact to the head. I'm not sure when it stopped being a red.

He's also right that Huddersfield were probably the stronger side for the majority of the game but I think people focus on things like that too much. Matt Peet's comments are correct. It's a pretty simple game where the winner is the team that score more points. They had the chance to get more points on the board but they didn't while we took our chances and did enough to win.
Mickw

Post by Mickw »

I'm not sure ,will have watch the game back during the week but I don't think we got any penalties second half and I don't think we got any in their half of the pitch all game.
jackthelad

Post by jackthelad »

Caboosegg wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 8:12 am I thought his post match interview was well balanced and polite but this does read bitter.

It was swing and and round abouts and there was plenty they got away with.

There was a knee (looked on purpose) to Singletons face missed which slowed us down as he tried to complain to to the ref.

There was the professional foul holding down to get to 40 min when they had no defence set where it was only a pentalty given.

The high shot on Farrell stopped our momentum and was also ignored (despite the similar tackle on Greenwood being picked up)

Either of these could be "game changing moments" that went against us, but yes Huddersfield where the better attacking team yesterday. Wigan gave them so much easy ball with errors, however Wigans defence held only conceding 3 tries and we took our chances.

Why is everything about how Huddersfield played amazing and its a shame they lost. It should be how a young team was so resilient on defence they held the giants to 3 tries before claiming the challenge cup with a 77th minute try.
Absolutely spot on 👆