14 Team Super League

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
Charriots Offiah

14 Team Super League

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Barney841

Re: 14 Team Super League

Post by Barney841 »

Bad idea adding more games to a season that has quite a lot of games as it is.
Too many games adds to more injuries and intensity as the season goes on
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

If they do that they would have to reduce the number of games played in SL, preferably get rid of the loop system of games!

That’s why we can’t compete on a international level we play far more games & have a longer season than they do in the NRL, so the smaller countries will never be able to compete against Australia, New Zealand & the South Pacific Island teams. That’s my opinion anyway!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Barney841 wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 12:39 pm Bad idea adding more games to a season that has quite a lot of games as it is.
Too many games adds to more injuries and intensity as the season goes on
Loop fixtures ring a bell?

If and I suspect we do need to keep this number of games surely it’d better with fresh teams no?

All boils down to the numbers I suppose.
Charriots Offiah

josie andrews wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 12:48 pm If they do that they would have to reduce the number of games played in SL, preferably get rid of the loop system of games!

That’s why we can’t compete on a international level we play far more games & have a longer season than they do in the NRL, so the smaller countries will never be able to compete against Australia, New Zealand & the South Pacific Island teams. That’s my opinion anyway!
We don’t produce enough homegrown players to compete with the guys from down under. SL needs to bring in a rule that a % of each team is made up of academy trained players. However, I do agree that we are at a disadvantage regarding the number of games we play compared to them. The only way around that is to get more money in the game.

By the way Josie, I have just watched the match back and I like your hat.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

😂😂 That hat started going to finals from the 2002 CCFinal in Edinburgh, I have two and lent one to my friend.

I was sent a photo that is on now on Tottenhams Website 😂
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Blackpool_Pie

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

Home away and then magic. Works for me. As long as the teams at the bottom are competitive enough that is
Charriots Offiah

josie andrews wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 2:07 pm 😂😂 That hat started going to finals from the 2002 CCFinal in Edinburgh, I have two and lent one to my friend.

I was sent a photo that is on now on Tottenhams Website 😂
Yes, I also saw your friend wearing one.
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

Personally, I have no issues with expanding to 14 SL teams. The reality is, you need to closely scrutinize applicants (which has been very questionable in recent years).

For me, the advantage of allowing both Leigh Centurions and Featherstone Rovers, is the full time status they have, SL and NRL experience in their playing and coaching ranks and the fact Leigh have been there and done it before and Featherstone's ultimate aim for a few years now is building to SL status!

To me it far more grounded, realistic and brings less risk than having naïve ideas in Wales, London and Canada etc. The folding of Crusaders after how many seasons in SL and Toronto is embarrassing.

If Toulouse have a similar blueprint to Catalans (even if they are relegated this season), I'm all for expansion in France, not just exclusively the north of England, where its more likely to be a success long-term not just one or two seasons.
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Fourteen teams would be best. Twenty six regular games, thirteen home and thirteen away plus Magic.
Leigh and Featherstone are both right. Both sustainable clubs with decent home crowd and can be relied upon for a good away following.
Straight forward fixtures playing every other club twice, no loop matches thankfully just the Magic weekend.
Fourteen teams every time.