Wigan squad for Salford

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
medlocke

Re: Wigan squad for Salford

Post by medlocke »

If Burgess is so spectacular why then is he not one of the following?

1. Still in the NRL
or
2. Still at Wigan

Answers on a postcard only
pedro

Post by pedro »

medlocke wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:35 pm If Burgess is so spectacular why then is he not one of the following?

1. Still in the NRL
or
2. Still at Wigan

Answers on a postcard only
same as Sam....
lucky 13

Post by lucky 13 »

Joe was always a good player.
I think that good could and maybe still can be replaced with great.
For me he went to the NRL a little to early, he also went to the wrong club at the wrong time.
Great natural size, pace and decent hands allied with good D. Injuries, a lack of desire at times caused weirdly enough by 'desire' in that he really wanted to be in the NRL and not with us.
Miski is a unit and improving, he seems a lad with a point to prove but at this time he's a lot to do to be measured against a fully fit and motivated Budgie. Thing is Miski looks motivated and wants to be here which is now a thing that's seemingly a must have mentality.
Out of the two Budgie will always leave me feeling that he could well have been a star both for club and country but finds himself at the lower end of SL with hardly a mention as a international. Miski that it won't be lack of effort that stops him nailing down a spot.
02/04/2010/
[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff24 ... 10-1-1.jpg[/IMG]

HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!
Blackpool_Pie

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

Miski is a unit and improving, he seems a lad with a point to prove but at this time he's a lot to do to be measured against a fully fit and motivated Budgie. Thing is Miski looks motivated and wants to be here which is now a thing that's seemingly a must have mentality.
Miski could improve ten fold but his lack of pace will always be a problem.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

lucky 13 wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 11:08 pm Joe was always a good player.
I think that good could and maybe still can be replaced with great.
For me he went to the NRL a little to early, he also went to the wrong club at the wrong time.
Great natural size, pace and decent hands allied with good D. Injuries, a lack of desire at times caused weirdly enough by 'desire' in that he really wanted to be in the NRL and not with us.
Out of the two Budgie will always leave me feeling that he could well have been a star both for club and country but finds himself at the lower end of SL with hardly a mention as a international. Miski that it won't be lack of effort that stops him nailing down a spot.
Agree with that.

Burgess was the best winger in super league and had the potential to be world class in his position.

From memory his form dropped, as most do, when he announced his move.

I too think it was a bit early and also either the wrong choice or bad luck with the Rooster as he barely got a look in.

Did he have his injuries before he left? I know when he came back he didn’t look the same player at times.

He’d have a great run of games and then others he would look disinterested, made mistakes and started picking up a lot of injuries.

Like Charnley, I feel like there was a point he put on a little weight and may have lost that speed and zip.

A shame really because he has the world at his feet.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

Didn’t Burgess sign for an NRL side which already had 2 superb wingers (as did Ryan Hall)? He has never quite fulfilled his potential - like others I wonder how much he wants it. Miski hasn’t shown the skill levels and potential that Joe showed from minute 1 of his debut, but seems like he could do a job. I very much hope that the club is looking to introduce some real class in the 3/4 for next year. Leutele level quality.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Anyone who seriously thought even an in-form Burgess would replace Daniel Tupou at the Roosters must have been daft (and I do briefly include myself in that!).
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

moto748 wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:25 am Anyone who seriously thought even an in-form Burgess would replace Daniel Tupou at the Roosters must have been daft (and I do briefly include myself in that!).
Don’t forget the other wing was occupied by Blake Ferguson.
Bad move from Joe with those two wingers already there
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 8:32 am Didn’t Burgess sign for an NRL side which already had 2 superb wingers (as did Ryan Hall)? He has never quite fulfilled his potential - like others I wonder how much he wants it. Miski hasn’t shown the skill levels and potential that Joe showed from minute 1 of his debut, but seems like he could do a job. I very much hope that the club is looking to introduce some real class in the 3/4 for next year. Leutele level quality.
I found it hard to fathom.....far too early, bad timing with Roosters squad and in a great place here.

He had a good few games for the Bunnies and then, on his return was world class v Cronulla and almost won the CC v Hull.