Huddersfield and England star Jermaine McGillvary retires from international rugby league

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Huddersfield and England star Jermaine McGillvary retires from international rugby league

Post by josie andrews »

The winger, 34, was shortlisted for the Golden Boot as the sport's greatest player following his brilliant exploits at the 2017 World Cup but - despite being in Shaun Wane's latest England squad - he will not play at this year's tournament after deciding to call it a day with his Test career

England winger Jermaine McGillvary has announced his retirement from international rugby league with immediate effect.

The Huddersfield Giants star turned 34 last month but was a part of national boss Shaun Wane’s latest squad and has been in excellent form in Betfred Super League. Many people expected McGillvary to push hard for a place at the World Cup at the end of this season but he has now called time on a fine Test career.

A latecomer to the international scene, he did not debut with England until facing New Zealand at the age of 27 in 2015. But the powerful wideman went on to represent his country with distinction, scoring 12 tries in 17 appearances before adding another four caps with Great Britain in 2019. However, it was the 2017 World Cup where McGillvary came of age with a brilliant tournament Down Under.

He scored seven tries in five appearances, ran more metres than any other player in the competition and played in the final which England narrowly lost against Australia in Brisbane. McGillvary was nominated for the Golden Boot as the world’s greatest player.

Ironically, though, his last appearance on the international stage was against England when - not needed by Wane - he scored for the Combined Nations All Stars in their win last June. Huddersfield-born McGillvary said: “It’s not a decision I’ve taken lightly. I’ve given it a lot of thought and it feels like the right time.

“When I started out I never believed I would represent my country, but I’m immensely proud of what I’ve achieved. The 2017 World Cup was the pinnacle of my career: the whole experience – on and off the field –was incredible. I went from being an unknown to being in demand from NRL agents, got to play alongside the likes of Sean O’Loughlin and James Graham, and off the field got to mix with legends like Adrian Morley and Jamie Peacock.

It was a dream come true. England are well blessed with quality wingers and I wish them well. I’m still going strong with Huddersfield Giants and I’m contracted until the end of 2023. I’ll see how I feel then.”

McGillvary has scored 198 tries in 294 games for Giants since debuting in 2010 and played for them in the Betfred Challenge Cup final last month. His international retirement decision comes ahead of England’s mid-season international against the Combined Nations All Stars at Warrington on Saturday week.

Admittedly, Wane is not short of wing options given St Helens’ Tommy Makinson, Hull KR’s Ryan Hall, Catalans Dragons’ Tom Davies and Wigan’s Liam Marshall were all also in the squad he named in March to start preparations. But McGillvary’s experience will still be keenly felt.

Wane said: “Jerry is a fantastic player and has been a tremendous servant to England, Great Britain and Huddersfield over the years. His form is still good enough, but he wants to devote the rest of his career to his club and I fully understand his decision. Everybody within the England camp thinks very highly of him and we wish him well.”

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/rugby-le ... 1654786453
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
fozzieskem

Re: Huddersfield and England star Jermaine McGillvary retires from international rugby league

Post by fozzieskem »

I'd assume Wane tipped him the wink he wouldn't be in the running for a World Cup spot to give him time to bow out on his terms fine player
the pieman

Re: Huddersfield and England star Jermaine McGillvary retires from international rugby league

Post by the pieman »

fozzieskem wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 1:30 pm I'd assume Wane tipped him the wink he wouldn't be in the running for a World Cup spot to give him time to bow out on his terms fine player
i dont know to be honest as i reckon he could easily hold down a spot

A genuine question, but how many English wingers have we got that can step up to international level and mix it with the Kiwis / Ozzies

Makinson
Hall - i think he is a bit older than McGillvary

Marshall
Handley
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

the pieman wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 1:37 pm
fozzieskem wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 1:30 pm I'd assume Wane tipped him the wink he wouldn't be in the running for a World Cup spot to give him time to bow out on his terms fine player

A genuine question, but how many English wingers have we got that can step up to international level and mix it with the Kiwis / Ozzies

Makinson

Marshall
Handley
Oh I agree I was surprised when I saw the news if I'm honest I'd assume Davies and Hall plus Makinson will be first choice for the world Cup,Handley and Johnstone are too slight to take on the monsters as you say that NZ and Australia will come armed with.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

fozzieskem wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 2:51 pm

Makinson

Marshall
Handley
Oh I agree I was surprised when I saw the news if I'm honest I'd assume Davies and Hall plus Makinson will be first choice for the world Cup,Handley and Johnstone are too slight to take on the monsters as you say that NZ and Australia will come armed with.
Is Hall anywhere near good enough anymore? I'm surprised he hasn't become a prop yet as he could easily be one.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

Makinson

Marshall
Handley
I'd forgotten about Davies to be honest. I didnt mention Johnstone (fantastic winger) as there is a good chance he will be injured and i dont think he will be robust enough to see out the tournament

with 2 from 3 of the names you' mentioned we're not in a bad position, but not the fastest 3 we have
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

Caboosegg wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 3:42 pm

Makinson

Marshall
Handley
Is Hall anywhere near good enough anymore? I'm surprised he hasn't become a prop yet as he could easily be one.
Hall has always been a strange one for me as he has never been prolific at league level i.e. 30+ - 40 tries in a season but put him in an England shirt, and he is a completely different player for me. Absolutely international class winger and able to hold his own with the best out there

is he good enough, perhaps not as fast as he was, but i still think he can do a job for us at international level