Back Three

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
DaiJones

Back Three

Post by DaiJones »

Very much enjoying watching us this year and a big reason for the entertainment is having a back three where all three regulars have genuine length of the field pace.

I've been watching Wigan since the mid 1980s and I'm not sure I can think of another regular back three to match them for out and out speed. Dallas, Carney & Radlinski for instance were all quick but as a trio not as fast as Field, French & Marshall. Likewise for all of Offiah's uncatchability and Robinson's off the mark explosiveness they were never part of a triumverate to match this one..
josie andrews

Re: Back Three

Post by josie andrews »

DaiJones wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 11:17 pm Very much enjoying watching us this year and a big reason for the entertainment is having a back three where all three regulars have genuine length of the field pace.

I've been watching Wigan since the mid 1980s and I'm not sure I can think of another regular back three to match them for out and out speed. Dallas, Carney & Radlinski for instance were all quick but as a trio not as fast as Field, French & Marshall. Likewise for all of Offiah's uncatchability and Robinson's off the mark explosiveness they were never part of a triumverate to match this one..
Spot on!

I allude to the back three all the time, & Jai & Bevan can also interchange at full back to confuse the opposition 😊
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Bowen- budgie-Marshal/Davis - all could and did length of the pitch multiple time.

It was a shame that Bowen time didn't result in any trophies because we played some entertaining rugby.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
DaiJones

Post by DaiJones »

I'm pretty sure Bowen had left by the time Marshall/ Davies broke into the first team but I'd forgotten 'Mango', the 2014 combo of him, Budgie and Charnley is probably another contender for the fastest back three of the Super League era. I think I'd still back Field, French & Marshall in a relay though.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

DaiJones wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 8:20 am I'm pretty sure Bowen had left by the time Marshall/ Davies broke into the first team but I'd forgotten 'Mango', the 2014 combo of him, Budgie and Charnley is probably another contender for the fastest back three of the Super League era. I think I'd still back Field, French & Marshall in a relay though.
I think you're right Tomkins was back by the time of Marshall/Davies.

But getting back to Bowen he could fly when the mood took him and alongside Charnley and Burgess it was a joy to see.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Rads, Robinson and Offiah for me but I fully understand your point.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

The "saint" doesn't rate them. :lol: :lol: :lol:
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

Offiah was the fastest player I have ever seen, let alone fastest Wigan player. I am not sure Robinson was that quick straight line sustained over difference (but I can’t remember anyone catching him...).
I don’t think we have ever had a faster full back than Field.
On Marshall, I wonder how his speed compares with his dad? Great to see him going so well after his bad knee injury - his dad was not so lucky.
French can shift, so it’s not a bad call.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 6:42 pm Offiah was the fastest player I have ever seen, let alone fastest Wigan player. I am not sure Robinson was that quick straight line sustained over difference (but I can’t remember anyone catching him...).
I don’t think we have ever had a faster full back than Field.
On Marshall, I wonder how his speed compares with his dad? Great to see him going so well after his bad knee injury - his dad was not so lucky.
French can shift, so it’s not a bad call.
Robinson was electric off the mark. Marshall is much faster than his dad, which is to be expected given that he is 20 odd years older 😂
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Mark preston for me……. He seemed to glide when he ran…… marshy never seems that fast but hes deceiving …brett dallas could shift a bit as well….. trying to think of a fullback as fast as field in any league ever atm……. Maybe brett mullins the old canberra fullback
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE