Wigan Warriors: Thomas Leuluai set for a spell on the sidelines after suffering a calf injury

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Wigan Warriors: Thomas Leuluai set for a spell on the sidelines after suffering a calf injury

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan Warriors will be without their captain Thomas Leuluai for an extended period.

Head coach Matty Peet has confirmed the 37-year-old will miss the next six weeks through a Grade Two calf injury.

While Leuluai is out of the Magic Weekend game against St Helens, Wigan do have some players back available for selection.

Peet said: “Cade Cust is back in contention this week and Morgan Smiths is also back (following his suspension).

Tommy (Leuluai) has got a Grade Two on his calf, so he will be out for over six weeks.

We need a bit more further information on that as it’s a Grade Two but it’s in tricky spot so we need a bit more, but it will be around six weeks.

"It’s up to the lads who come in to decide how big of a blow it is. Every squad is going through it at the moment so we won’t feel sorry for ourselves.

"This is why you have your squad and you train to be adaptable, so we won’t dwell on it.

"I love Tommy to bits and wish he could play every week, but it’s not to be.”

https://12ft.io/proxy?q=https%3A%2F%2Fw ... ry-3758705
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
medlocke

Re: Wigan Warriors: Thomas Leuluai set for a spell on the sidelines after suffering a calf injury

Post by medlocke »

In the words of Priscilla White "Surprise, Surprise"

Time the club made the decision for Tommy before he does some serious damage to himself
Blackpool_Pie

Re: Wigan Warriors: Thomas Leuluai set for a spell on the sidelines after suffering a calf injury

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

Massive shame because he's had a great season before he got injured, but this might be the best time to call it in
Zakooo

Post by Zakooo »

I think Tommy as earned the right to decide himself when the time to go is.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Zakooo wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:35 pm I think Tommy as earned the right to decide himself when the time to go is.
no top tier club in any sport takes that approach - the club decides always and forever not the player no matter what they have given - this is sport end of
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Sutty

Post by Sutty »

That answers a question then. I saw him in the gym yesterday and noticed he was limping a bit and I wondered why.

nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Hamstring last year.

Knee and calf this year.

His age may be finally catching up to him.

Will be sad to see him retire eventually but all good things come to an end.

I don’t think we should retain him, despite his form at the start of this season being as good as ever.

Suppose it depends on our plans to replace and salary cap.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."