Bevan French

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
boggart

Bevan French

Post by boggart »

Just back from the Hull game. I've got to ask. Why did Peet take him off? It seemed as if he couldn't believe it when he was replaced by Kaide Ellis. Neither could most of the crowd.
Charriots Offiah

Re: Bevan French

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Bigger fish to fry.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Maybe but sometimes you need to go with it and tonight was a time for that IMO.

He was in little danger of getting injured or knackered and if anyone needed taking off it was Cust.

EDIT: I think most fans thought he could have got 10 and taking him off reminded me of Mark Preston being subbed at Wembley when he had scored two and could have been the first player to score a hat trick in a CC final.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

We need to get playing minutes into Cust, he struggled for match fitness last week.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 12:32 am We need to get playing minutes into Cust, he struggled for match fitness last week.
He’d extended his elbow!
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

He did five separate interviews after the game! Why couldn’t he give one interview to five mikes is beyond me. He couldn’t get away from the corporate lounges to be with his family.

Was speaking to his Step-Dad & Uncle after the game. They were thrilled to be here & are enjoying being in the North West. They really like the people here too. They return home on Sunday.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

French: Something I’ll cherish forever

Bevan French reflected after breaking a Super League record with seven tries in one game.

French: “I’ve said it not just tonight but in all my time here the fans here are so passionate and it’s the best crowd you could play in front of.”

See the highlights on Wigan TV as Bevan scored seven HERE. Not a subscriber? Join today from £5.99 per month.

Bevan French said he was ‘grateful’ as he stole the show with a seven-try performance against Hull FC, securing a new Super League record.

Speaking at full time, French said: “It’s still sinking in with the Super League record, I spoke to a few of the boys after the game and not even that itself – to be able to do it at home in front of the fans at the DW.

“I have some family over here at the moment, so it’s something I’ll cherish forever but I think most importantly was the team performance, not even given the scoreboard or anything like that, I think Matt touched on the lessons we wanted to learn from last week and I feel like we definitely did that.”

He added: “It’s the best 80-minute performance that we’ve had and something we’ve been striving for. I know it sounds clichéd as a winger saying all the work comes from the inside and you’ve just got to finish it, but that’s literally what it was. If we didn’t learn those lessons from last week, I wouldn’t be in the position to do it.”

Speaking on his Step dad and Uncle who were at the DW Stadium to watch his stellar performance, French said: “I don’t like talking about the record but to do it in front of them is something I’ll cherish forever. The opportunity for them to come over to another Country, they’ve never done it before, the whole experience has been amazing for them. They’ve loved every minute of it, not just tonight but the whole experience of it and I glad I could finish it good for them.”

He added in jest: “They’ve snuck off for some beers. They don’t care about me, they’re just thirsty!”

Finally, French mentioned the Wigan fans: “It’s amazing, I’ve said it not just tonight but in all my time here the fans here are so passionate and it’s the best crowd you could play in front of and it’s a crazy atmosphere. Coming from the NRL you get the crowds, but the fans are so passionate over here and hearing that – I’ll remember it for a long time.”

Finally, French mentioned the Wigan fans: “It’s amazing, I’ve said it not just tonight but in all my time here the fans here are so passionate and it’s the best crowd you could play in front of and it’s a crazy atmosphere. Coming from the NRL you get the crowds, but the fans are so passionate over here and hearing that – I’ll remember it for a long time.”

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2022/07/ ... h-forever/
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan Warriors: Matty Peet hails Bevan French's selfless play following the winger's seven-try display

The winger broke the Super League for most tries in a game as he went over seven times in total, before being brought off ahead of the hour-mark.

Peet admitted he felt like a supporter at times during the match.

He said: “He’s been great for a while for us since he joined the club. He’s done some special things, and tonight was a night he could showcase the talent that he’s got, and that’s what we love about him.

He’s got so much talent and does a lot of selfless stuff. His teammates love him and he’s a pleasure to work with on a daily basis. He got everything he deserved tonight. I feel like a fan at times.

If we don’t get the hard work done early in games, the team doesn’t get the same opportunities, and Bevan led a lot of that.

“He scored seven high quality tries, but he did a lot of unselfish things.

“I see it as a privilege to be involved in this group of players. A lot of them commit to each other on a weekly basis, even last week I remained proud of them.

“When we play well we are a good team, but there’s more than that, they’re a good set of fellas.”

Jai Field also went over for a brace, while Liam Marshall and Harry Smith were on the scoresheet as well in the huge victory

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby- ... ay-3770776
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Bevan’s tries shown from a different angle 😊

https://twitter.com/wiganwarriorsrl/sta ... mKjuGfIghg
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 12:32 am We need to get playing minutes into Cust, he struggled for match fitness last week.
Not at the expense of his elbow for gawds sake weird they didn’t take him off the game was well won by the time it happened.