Wigan squad for Leeds

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Wigan squad for Leeds

Post by josie andrews »

21-man squad named for Thursday’s Betfred Super League game against Leeds Rhinos.

Head Coach Matt Peet has named his squad as the Warriors prepare for Round 20.

Leeds Rhinos v Wigan Warriors, Thursday 21st July, 8pm K.O.

Matt Peet has named his 21-player Wigan Warriors squad for Thursday’s Betfred Super League game against Leeds Rhinos.

Wigan head to Headingley Stadium on Thursday evening as they take on Leeds Rhinos in Round 20 of Betfred Super League, on the back of a 60-0 victory over Hull FC last Friday. Leeds enter the game off the back of a 20-6 loss away to Toulouse Olympique.

Team News

Peet has made just one change to the squad from last week as new recruit Mike Cooper comes into the 21 in place of Junior Nsemba.

Iain Thornley, Tommy Leuluai and John Bateman remain sidelined through injury. Brad Singleton will serve the second of his three match suspension for a High Tackle in Round 18.

Wigan squad to face Leeds Rhinos:

1 Bevan French
2 Jake Bibby
5 Liam Marshall
6 Cade Cust
9 Sam Powell
10 Patrick Mago
11 Willie Isa
12 Liam Farrell
14 Morgan Smithies
15 Kaide Ellis
16 Harry Smith
17 Oliver Partington
19 Ethan Havard
20 Liam Byrne
21 Kai Pearce-Paul
22 Joe Shorrocks
23 Jai Field
24 Abbas Miski
25 Sam Halsall
28 Brad O’Neill
36 Mike Cooper

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2022/07/ ... r-leeds-3/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: Wigan squad for Leeds

Post by josie andrews »

Leeds Rhinos welcome back duo for Wigan Warriors clash as Mike Cooper set for Debut

Leeds Rhinos welcome Harry Newman and Muizz Mustapha back from suspension for Thursday night’s game with Wigan Warriors.

Newman has completed a three-match ban and Mustapha a five-game suspension, so both come into Rohan Smith’s squad.

The Leeds boss has again only named 20 players, however, with Sam Walters and Max Simpson dropping out, the latter with an ankle injury.

Blake Austin (thigh), Aidan Sezer (hand), Kruise Leeming (foot) and Tom Briscoe (ankle) are still sidelined by injury while Matt Prior, Zane Tetevano and Tom Holroyd continue to serve bans.

Wigan Warriors could hand a debut to Mike Cooper at Headingley after securing the prop in an immediate, permanent transfer from Warrington Wolves.

He replaces Junior Nsemba in the only change to Matt Peet’s 21-man squad, as Iain Thornley (knee), Thomas Leuluai (calf), Brad Singleton (suspension) and John Bateman (rib) remain out.

Leeds Rhinos v Wigan Warriors – Thursday 8pm, Headingley

Leeds: 2 David Fusitu’a, 3 Harry Newman, 4 Liam Sutcliffe, 5 Ash Handley, 8 Mikolaj Oledzki, 11 James Bentley, 12 Rhyse Martin, 14 Brad Dwyer, 16 Richie Myler, 17 Cameron Smith, 19 Bodene Thompson, 21 Morgan Gannon, 24 Jarrod O’Connor, 25 James Donaldson, 26 Corey Johnson, 27 Muizz Mustapha, 29 Liam Tindall, 32 Jack Sinfield, 33 Zak Hardaker, 34 Yusuf Aydin.

Wigan: 1 Bevan French, 2 Jake Bibby, 5 Liam Marshall, 6 Cade Cust, 9 Sam Powell, 10 Patrick Mago, 11 Willie Isa, 12 Liam Farrell, 14 Morgan Smithies, 15 Kaide Ellis, 16 Harry Smith, 17 Oliver Partington, 19 Ethan Havard, 20 Liam Byrne, 21 Kai Pearce-Paul, 22 Joe Shorrocks, 23 Jai Field, 24 Abbas Miski, 25 Sam Halsall, 28 Brad O’Neill, 36 Mike Cooper.

https://www.totalrl.com/leeds-rhinos-we ... for-debut/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I trust we will be sure to show Hardaker appreciate everything he did to the club. Perhaps point Mr Cooper and Mr Mago in his direction for their first big carries.
doc

Post by doc »

Zak was in the 21 last week but didn't make the match day squad. Says it all really!
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

Shame that Nsemba is out of the squad, hopefully it won't be long before he gets a run out.
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

i'd like to see us put leeds to the sword and shut the south stand down early on

i know they are a little depleted, but seemed to have turned a bit of a corner under Smith, so its a chance for us to lay a bit of a marker. Was over in Leeds yesterday and chatting to one of my daughters friends, and he is confident of a Leeds victory (poor lad :) :) )
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

the pieman wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:35 am i'd like to see us put leeds to the sword and shut the south stand down early on

i know they are a little depleted, but seemed to have turned a bit of a corner under Smith, so its a chance for us to lay a bit of a marker. Was over in Leeds yesterday and chatting to one of my daughters friends, and he is confident of a Leeds victory (poor lad :) :) )
:D :D :D
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
Blackpool_Pie

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

Field
French
Isa
Bibby
Marshall
Cust
Smith