Referees boss Steve Ganson admits decisive moment in Leeds Rhinos’ win over Wigan Warriors was ‘incorrect’

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Referees boss Steve Ganson admits decisive moment in Leeds Rhinos’ win over Wigan Warriors was ‘incorrect’

Post by josie andrews »

RFL Referees boss Steve Ganson has clarified a mistake made by a Super League referee over the weekend.

On Thursday night, when Leeds Rhinos took on the Wigan Warriors at Headingley, the West Yorkshire club were awarded a controversial try that saw Harry Newman dive through the legs of Ash Handley to dot down at a crucial point in the game.

Referee Liam Moore gave a try on the field, but sent it upstairs to James Child who awarded the four-pointer – much to the surprise of those that had tuned into Sky Sports to watch the game.

Following that fixture and the subsequent backlash, Ganson issued this statement: “All matches are reviewed in full at the conclusion of the weekend’s round of fixtures, however, on this occasion a more urgent clarification is necessary,” he said.

“This was a particularly disappointing set of circumstances and it’s clear the department has fallen below the standard necessary and expected.

“The decision was incorrect to award the try.”

It is there in black and white that the try should not have been awarded with the refereeing rules stating: “If an attacking player, in an attempt to score a try, dives through or into a teammate in front of him, including the man playing the ball then this should be deemed as obstruction, if the defensive team is materially disadvantaged.”

Leeds went on to thrash Wigan 42-12, but the Newman try continued to be a contentious issue over the weekend.

However, it is good to see that the RFL have given transparency and honesty surrounding the issue, though it remains to be seen what the refereeing appointments will look like for the upcoming fixtures.

https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/referees ... ect-56570/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: Referees boss Steve Ganson admits decisive moment in Leeds Rhinos’ win over Wigan Warriors was ‘incorrect’

Post by josie andrews »

So two "top" referees both made a huge mistake!!

It didn’t affect the outcome of the game but it goes to show that this rule "I have a try" situation needs to be changed or be removed it altogether.

I just wonder if they will be punished?
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

josie andrews wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 7:02 pm So two "top" referees both made a huge mistake!!

It didn’t affect the outcome of the game but it goes to show that this rule "I have a try" situation needs to be changed or be removed it altogether.

No it wouldn't effect the outcome but it easily could of, momentum is fickle we saw it in the semis vs saints we lost it in the second half and they almost won.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

OMG! I have even seen this rule applied correctly at community club level!

In one case the attacking player grounded the ball on a teamates foot briefly and it was chalked off.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

josie andrews wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 7:02 pm So two "top" referees both made a huge mistake!!

I agree with the on field decision thing but in this instance the ref and linesman may have missed it.

The only way the video ref awards this time is they don’t know the rule and that is very worrying.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

nathan_rugby wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 7:52 pm

I agree with the on field decision thing but in this instance the ref and linesman may have missed it.

The only way the video ref awards this time is they don’t know the rule and that is very worrying.
And the VR for this game was one of the most experienced ……. supposedly!!
Wiganer Ted

Re: Referees boss Steve Ganson admits decisive moment in Leeds Rhinos’ win over Wigan Warriors was ‘incorrect’

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Forget the "I have a try/no try".
If the referee goes to the VR then leave it up to him to make the decision.
They are all full time qualified referees so just leave it to the VR.
Suzieb

Post by Suzieb »

Once again I totally agree with you ted if there is a need to check it he must have some doubt so let the v/r make the decision but the alarming thing for our game as was witnessed by a huge audience they both made the wrong decision
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

Video Refs can and do cancel the onfield "I have a try" call. What we have here is something a bit more serious where two top referees (allegedly) simply don't know the law.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Southern Softy wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:58 am Video Refs can and do cancel the onfield "I have a try" call. What we have here is something a bit more serious where two top referees (allegedly) simply don't know the law.
Yes they do & can…. Sometimes! But how often do you see it? It’s a stupid rule & simply just a waste of time. Get rid of it IMO

Why can’t the ref just say will you check this please & if the VR can’t decide it should then go back to the on field ref IMHO!!