Cust at hooker

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
southportcdm

Re: Cust at hooker

Post by southportcdm »

I thought he helped change the game last night. Lots of fans suggested that he should have started at 9 last night given the absence of Powell and O'Neil and I assumed that he would with Jai at 6 and Miski on the wing. I'd forgotten that Halsall can play centre of wing and that he'd be an alternative to Miski. I hope we try Cust at 9 and Jai at 6 for a few more games, whilst Powell is out, just to see how it develops. It gives us more options and other teams more to think about. For the next couple of games O'Neil can play from the bench to give Cust a break or allow a change in tactics. Halsall had another solid game and would really benefit from a run in the first team. As more players return I'd pick Halsall ahead of Bibby rather than drop Sam. We know what BIbby can do, he can fill in if Sam doesn't progress. If Jake is leaving at the end of the season, giving him game time isn't a priority.
Wigan Watcher

Post by Wigan Watcher »

Cust is a 9 and a decent one too.
He is definitely nothing else!
He is too slow to play either 6 or 7

Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Ide love cust at hooker but unfortunately it makes us weaker in the halves and stops our wing/fullback threat of bevan and jai….. maybe if we sign a half next season this could be a big option
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

I didn't think Shorrocks was as bad as many said - he looked and played like Powell. There's no doubt that Cust looked the business when he moved into the role but could he do it week in week out and would he want to? I appreciate he played hooker in Australia but he's got more miles on the clock and some worrying injuries that might affect his tackling ability. We certainly looked better when Cust was at No 9 but is it worth the disruption throughout the team? Most of our good displays this season have been when Cust was playing well. I confess I don't know the answer. Better trust the Peet/Briers axis.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Firestarter wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:45 am Ide love cust at hooker but unfortunately it makes us weaker in the halves and stops our wing/fullback threat of bevan and jai….. maybe if we sign a half next season this could be a big option
I wonder if this why the Mason Lino rumour seems to crop up?
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

Cust is our best 9, but O’Neil can develop into a fine one as well. Meanwhile, Powell can concentrate on his cultural responsibilities... though of course we won’t see Cust there again once Powell recovers, so the what ifs will stay what ifs.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Wigan Watcher wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:29 am Cust is a 9 and a decent one too.
He is definitely nothing else!
He is too slow to play either 6 or 7
Blake Green and Matt Smith weren’t that quick and didn’t do too bad for us.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Wigan Watcher

Post by Wigan Watcher »

I didnt rate Green and Smith the older he got the slower he got, the slower he got the worse he got.

medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Wigan Watcher wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:46 pm I didnt rate Green and Smith the older he got the slower he got, the slower he got the worse he got.
Yet they where good enough for the double in 2013
Wigan Watcher

Post by Wigan Watcher »

medlocke wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:52 pm
Wigan Watcher wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:46 pm I didnt rate Green and Smith the older he got the slower he got, the slower he got the worse he got.
Yet they where good enough for the double in 2013
But I've just stated a fact about Smith!