Cust at hooker

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
morley pie eater

Re: Cust at hooker

Post by morley pie eater »

I thought Cust contributed at hooker, and in no way am I knocking him . . . BUT . . . the idea that he was solely responsible for changing the game in our favour is way off the mark imo.

We played 4 props on the bench, clearly showing Peet's intention. Grind them down, win the "energy battle" (hate the phrase), and we'll win in the last quarter. The whole game went to plan - even if we'd gone in 12-0 down at half time, there's no way we'd have lost that game.

Moving Cust to 9 once they were starting to flag, and we were ready to open up, was probably part of the plan?
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

morley pie eater wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 5:24 pm I thought Cust contributed at hooker, and in no way am I knocking him . . . BUT . . . the idea that he was solely responsible for changing the game in our favour is way off the mark imo.

We played 4 props on the bench, clearly showing Peet's intention. Grind them down, win the "energy battle" (hate the phrase), and we'll win in the last quarter. The whole game went to plan - even if we'd gone in 12-0 down at half time, there's no way we'd have lost that game.

Moving Cust to 9 once they were starting to flag, and we were ready to open up, was probably part of the plan?
I thought thats what matty would do morley…… it definitely went to plan but i reckon we would have struggled at 12-0 down…… it obviously worked and i thought mago made a massive difference and it was KPPs best game yet for us
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

morley pie eater wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 5:24 pm I thought Cust contributed at hooker, and in no way am I knocking him . . . BUT . . . the idea that he was solely responsible for changing the game in our favour is way off the mark imo.

I agree Morley it was a master class in coaching.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

I thought it helped be useful Cooper could and.did stay on for long minutes allows you to pick and choose when to use the be ch for moreen them come and kncker themselves out then throw fresh legs on.

For me though you cod see a big difference once Cust went to hooker they looked far smoother than before with Shorrocks there.
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

Cust going to hooker, making a quicker pass for the PTB, would of definitely help the forwards.
Hopefully we will get to see him a few more times at hooker, we will be able to see them if it was a one off
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Barney841 wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:38 pm

Cust going to hooker, making a quicker pass for the PTB, would of definitely help the forwards.
Hopefully we will get to see him a few more times at hooker, we will be able to see them if it was a one off
Not only quicker but far more accurate.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

All that's true, but I'm not convinced Cust is a long-term solution at dummy-half. For a spell, sure.
pedro

Post by pedro »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:42 pm
Barney841 wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:38 pm

Not only quicker but far more accurate.
plus field to 6 french to 1, looks like weve done plenty of training with it as it was very fluid and wire hadnt got a clue what was happening, its an excellent plan B
NICKYKISS

Post by NICKYKISS »

It’s something we should definitely be using at the back end of the season when Tommy is back IMO. I’d probably start with Powell but use Cust as a spelling option for him when Tommy comes on. It really did speed up our play and worked so well on the back of us now having a couple of props who can dent the line, in Cooper and Mago. If we can get everyone fit for those last few games, the side looks very good on paper.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

I dont know why so many wigan fans have that your hooker has to be a complete brick wall in defence and are willing to sacrifice every other attribute to achieve that.

The best form of defence is always attack if you are winning the game and playing it in the right areas you can afford to be 20-30% less effective as an individual defender

Personally i would sacrifice strength in the halves to increase the strength at hooker, Cust made 2 darting runs during his spell and gained on both of those nearly scoring. Thats the thing he has the ability to run, no-ones saying he should do every play but all round we just looked far better.

If you are defending a lot you've lost control of the game - being good in defence is all well and good but its like being a boxer with a good chin, thats great and will serve you well be the best boxers dont get hit in the first place

of course all this is irrelevant as Powell will play 9 regardless of his or anyone elses form
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure