Wigan sign Toby King for 2023

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
PJC

Re: Wigan sign Toby King for 2023

Post by PJC »

It could be that Wigan turn him into a world beater and Wire demand him back or a big transfer fee.
Jonh

Post by Jonh »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 12:21 am
Jonh wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:30 pm
Charriots Offiah wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 8:49 pm

Two left centres?

King is a natural right sided centre.
Ok thanks for that. I am basing my views on where he played for Wire. I am far happier knowing that his preference is to play on the right. That makes the apparent signing of Wardle make sense.
What is interesting to note and something to be honest I hadn’t realised is that King was switched to the left side in 2021. Prior to that he had been a right sided centre.

This coincided with his drop off in form, in so much as he didn’t have the same impact as he had when he was on the right.

Maybe the drop in form wasn’t solely down to the big money contract that he signed ahead of the 21 season but more to do with being shifted out of his natural position.
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

I know many a Wire fan who have become very disillusioned with King! I think he looked quite sharp at the start of his career, not so much now! I'm sure Wire even started playing him in the back row too!

Like others il reserve judgement, has SL experience, certainly not a signing to be dancing on the tables over, as it stands!
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

Any reasons it was announced on Tuesday and not just before Friday's game, or today so its first announced on Sky at tonights game?
Should we expect another announcement this week?
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

I,indeed we all must have seen King play many times given the sheer amount of games Wigan play each season against wire and frankly I’m struggling to remember him in any game..maybe just me but I’m a little underwhelmed by his signing but look forward to to watching him play I suppose
Fan4Fifty

Post by Fan4Fifty »

We've been crying out for a 'proper' centre for several seasons. We sign a 'proper' centre who's big, strong and reasonably quick, but many it seems are still not happy. Peet has said that it's now our coaching team's job 'to get the best out of him' apparently confirming that they know that he hasn't been as effective this season - but that's almost inevitable when clearly something has gone very wrong at Warrington. If we do re-energise him and 'get the best' then we've filled a significant hole in our line-up.

The loan thing isn't a concern - a lot can happen in 12 months and long term contracts don't mean that much anyway. This seems to me to be opportunistic, but, potentially, very good business.
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

Fan4Fifty wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 9:51 am We've been crying out for a 'proper' centre for several seasons. We sign a 'proper' centre who's big, strong and reasonably quick, but many it seems are still not happy. Peet has said that it's now our coaching team's job 'to get the best out of him' apparently confirming that they know that he hasn't been as effective this season - but that's almost inevitable when clearly something has gone very wrong at Warrington. If we do re-energise him and 'get the best' then we've filled a significant hole in our line-up.

The loan thing isn't a concern - a lot can happen in 12 months and long term contracts don't mean that much anyway. This seems to me to be opportunistic, but, potentially, very good business.
Agree 100% with this, I didn't think he warranted all the fuss last season and wasn't too bothered that we missed out on him. I'd still be more excited if we got Wardle but we do also need a more solid backline performer (like King) if all the moves come off and we lose Bibby/KPP/French with Hardaker gone.

I'm not troubled by the loan and that can be sorted in a years time (either way).

Does anyone know if we are losing a big chunck of cap space for this deal.
Wigan Watcher

Post by Wigan Watcher »

Everyone would have preferred someone who was performing now not someone who needs working on.

Come on here we are WIGAN let's sign Wigan standard players from now on. Not players who we hope can turn it around and I'm sick of hearing about players who are projects.

Bring back Hanley, Gregory, Bell, Lydon, Offiah. These were not players who needed to turn it around or projects.

We have now accepted standards way to low as fans.

WE ARE WIGAN

Brennox7

Post by Brennox7 »

Wigan Watcher wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 10:27 am Everyone would have preferred someone who was performing now not someone who needs working on.

Come on here we are WIGAN let's sign Wigan standard players from now on. Not players who we hope can turn it around and I'm sick of hearing about players who are projects.

Bring back Hanley, Gregory, Bell, Lydon, Offiah. These were not players who needed to turn it around or projects.

We have now accepted standards way to low as fans.

WE ARE WIGAN
But french and field can be classed as "project players" both unheard of over here and were in reserve grade. Now both potentially up for Man of Steel.
However I do get were your coming from somewhat
Wigan Watcher

Post by Wigan Watcher »

Thank you I'm pleased you do.

Everything said is with passion for our club.