POWELL!!

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Exiled Wiganer

Re: POWELL!!

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I would also make the point again that it does seem odd that those of us who do not see Powell as the reincarnation of Ken Gee have been instructed to use this thread and only this thread, while it’s open slather for the Powell obsessives to slag us off elsewhere…
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Thing is even his supporters don’t see him as a top hooker what every thread boils down to is the follow if it were translated into English

People telling the truth that wigan could do far better than Powell

People who like Powell saying “stop telling the truth now you’ve told the truth already and we don’t like it because Sam is a nice boy so we don’t want to hear it”

Then because they can’t defend him or his position logically in the team they start attacking the posters and making it into something personal which it isn’t

Example there was a thread not so long ago about Cust not being Wigan standard instantly people could summon examples of what he does for the team why he should be there and why he’s our best option. Notice how no one said “stop being mean to Cust he’s trying”

Nobody dislikes Powell I’ve never seen a single derogatory comment about him - and other players hardaker/hastings to name two recents have had a lot of personal attacks that have not only been not locked but also joined in by the same people who defend Powell

Being a nice chap though in sport isn’t enough - and what Powell brings to the table isn’t enough. No the saints wins weren’t down to Powell but the fact that that we have won games against the best team with O’Neill and that we haven’t won a game against the best team with Powell in 2 years shows that a kid in his first season offers at least the same if not more than Powell
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
blindsideprop

Post by blindsideprop »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:06 am I am not sure this ghettoisation is a good idea. Over the years, there have been lots of players and coaches who have had far more criticism than Powell, without there being targeted attacks on the critics. If it’s pertinent, I will comment wherever I like. In this instance someone posted something which had one new piece of news - Powell would return from the play offs, so a few of us commented on that.
Powell’s return or not is a very big decision for the coaches to make. We have actual evidence - not opinion, evidence - which helps us work out the best way forward. It looks increasingly likely that we will have to beat the Giants and Saints to win the GF. We have already done that in reverse to win the Cup. Having lost to Saints both times we have played them with Powell, we have beaten them both times O’Neill has played. We also won the Cup Final with O’Neill playing. If anyone doesn’t believe me they can check the TV pictures. It’s possible to conclude a lot of things from that, but it is certainly consistent with the point frequently argued that we can do better without Powell than with him playing.
I know he has his fans, and those close to the club absolutely love him, but, given how much money I spend on this club, and how expensive my paying for our group to go to a (hoped for) Grand Final is going to be, I have no compunction in making my case.
The only consistent counter argument I have read is that he will be picked so he must be good. If we’re not allowed to comments on either players or the coach’s decisions, aren’t we limited to discussing the colour of the kit?
Finally, if I was easily offended I would be offended by the characterisation of anyone who looks at the results and concludes there is a debate to be had as a Powell hater. As a person, he seems to be very likeable, and I hope he has a long and happy life.

Excellent post
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:59 pm I would also make the point again that it does seem odd that those of us who do not see Powell as the reincarnation of Ken Gee have been instructed to use this thread and only this thread, while it’s open slather for the Powell obsessives to slag us off elsewhere…
I hope not as Ken Gee was a prop :lol:
Charriots Offiah

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 7:28 am Thing is even his supporters don’t see him as a top hooker what every thread boils down to is the follow if it were translated into English

People who like Powell saying “stop telling the truth now you’ve told the truth already and we don’t like it because Sam is a nice boy so we don’t want to hear it”

Then because they can’t defend him or his position logically in the team they start attacking the posters and making it into something personal which it isn’t

Example there was a thread not so long ago about Cust not being Wigan standard instantly people could summon examples of what he does for the team why he should be there and why he’s our best option. Notice how no one said “stop being mean to Cust he’s trying”

Nobody dislikes Powell I’ve never seen a single derogatory comment about him - and other players hardaker/hastings to name two recents have had a lot of personal attacks that have not only been not locked but also joined in by the same people who defend Powell

Being a nice chap though in sport isn’t enough - and what Powell brings to the table isn’t enough. No the saints wins weren’t down to Powell but the fact that that we have won games against the best team with O’Neill and that we haven’t won a game against the best team with Powell in 2 years shows that a kid in his first season offers at least the same if not more than Powell
Wigan could do better if we replaced all our players.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:58 am
Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 7:28 am Thing is even his supporters don’t see him as a top hooker what every thread boils down to is the follow if it were translated into English

Wigan could do better if we replaced all our players.
You have to take into account the cap and balancing a larger squad but for me out of all the players we have especially senior players in terms of talent per thier role Powell is in the bottom half if not bottom quarter. The issue is he touches the ball more than any other player in our team everything starts with him so my point has always been ok you cant have superstars in every position but get your pivots right and the rest can be lesser.

I've said it before but its ignored as per my previous post about the truth - you look at our other pivots, Field/French/Cust/Smith/Smithies - any of those come to market 90% of teams will be interested they would walk into most superleague teams and a number of NRL teams would be interested too IMO - the exception is probably Smith but another season like this and he is deffo in that mix

If Powell was offered out i cant think of a team in superleague that would look at him and think he improves their offer at 9 - maybe tolouse? - he isnt getting in any of the top 6 teams, but even below that he doesn't replace Parcell - he might get in at wakefield - likely though it would be championship
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:56 am
Exiled Wiganer wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:59 pm I would also make the point again that it does seem odd that those of us who do not see Powell as the reincarnation of Ken Gee have been instructed to use this thread and only this thread, while it’s open slather for the Powell obsessives to slag us off elsewhere…
Ha! I’m an idiot. Was thinking Joe Egan, and wrote Ken Gee. He was a good un though.
Charriots Offiah

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 10:53 am
Charriots Offiah wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:56 am
Ha! I’m an idiot. Was thinking Joe Egan, and wrote Ken Gee. He was a good un though.
👍
morley pie eater

Re: Another thread about Sam P

Post by morley pie eater »

Dreamteam wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 5:40 pm :ugeek:
morley pie eater wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 5:30 pm Sorry for boring so many of you, but I had to reply to this:
:twisted: Exiled Wiganer
Re: Matt Peet reveals whether Cade Cust is likely to play in the play-offs after the Wigan Warriors halfback picked up e
Post Sat Sep 03, 2022 9:00 pm

1. Powell will be picked. Peet has been superb this year, and even if he picks Powell and we lose, he is massively in credit as far as I am concerned.
2. We have played Saints 4 times, and lost both times Powell played, and won (in our best performances of the year) when O’Neill was hooker. I like O’Neill because, as he offers a running threat, it keeps the defence honest around the ruck. That frees up space further out, and in French and Field there are no better players in the league. That’s a reasonable opinion, and the evidence of the games against Saints supports this.
I just checked back through this season's fixtures and found the following:

Lost 31-22 to Hull.
Team included O'Neill, French and Field.

Lost 32-22 to Huddersfield.
O'Neill and French played

Lost 30-12 to Wakefield.
O'Neill French and Field.

Following your reasoning, I presume you believe we should drop these 3 players? :lol: :lol: :lol:
If you’re gonna give a counter argument at least give context. We had 10 players out vs Huddersfield and rested 7. We had Logan Astley playing in the half’s. That was a solid result vs that Huddersfield team away, 2 weeks before the cc final. The hull game was the week before the CC final. Heads was obviously not on that game. In contrast the oneil performance vs saints the other week is the best 9 performance of the season.
Thanks Dream team - you have made the same point as me exactly!!!

I'll spell it out, just for the hard-of-understanding:
Of course I don't think we should drop French, Field or O'Neill because they were on the losing side over 2 or 3 games. That was my attempt at "reductio ad absurdum". (Making a point by reducing a claim to absurdity.)

Now, about Powell being on the losing side against Saints - kindly explain again exactly what it proves . . .
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:38 pm 1. “he” can make any point he likes. You made it clear we can only comment on Powell on this thread - and yet he goes off on one on a specific thread.
2. The point made makes no sense in any case. My examples are directly pertinent to the question in hand: if we are to play Huddersfield and Saints in big games, the 2 victories against Saints (in contrast to the 2 losses) and the CC victory are the best comparisons.
3. Cherry picking is choosing examples to prove your point. It doesn’t apply here as my point was to look at the big games.
4. Tbh I think it’s a deranged approach to ban us from posting about Powell anywhere but here, but give and critics open slather.
1. Apologies, I hadn't seen this thread.
2. Of course my point makes no sense - it was a carbon copy of yours :lol:
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐