Wigan squad for Semi Final

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Exiled Wiganer

Re: Wigan squad for Semi Final

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

It’s the false economy to end all false economies if we price out so many fans we effectively play this as a neutral game. That said, simple familiarity and not having the south stand referee the game are big advantages (and I am guessing our pitch is wider which helps Field and French).
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan Warriors: Matty Peet says his team are fresh ahead of their play-off semi-final against a 'confident' Leeds Rhinos

Matty Peet says Wigan Warriors are not ready for the season to end as they prepare for their play-off semi-final against Leeds Rhinos.

His side head into the game at the DW Stadium on the back of a week off, while their opponents had to overcome Catalans Dragons in Perpignan last Friday.

Peet states Wigan have ensured every individual has received what they need as they look to book their place in the Grand Final.

He said: “We’re very excited, we don’t feel like we’re ready for the end of the year. Everyone is fresh and full of energy.

Having a young team does mean we bounce into these games and handle these times well.

“There’s a lot more excitement than nerves, and we’ve got a group who enjoy training and each other’s company. It feels like a good place to work.

“Training was very individualised last week. Some lads needed a bit more rest than others after a really hectic period and some needed extra attention in terms of skill work or physical development.

“We did have some fun stuff as well, doing some activities, getting out and about. There was nothing too flashy, we did some raft building and paddle boarding. It was a lot of what we’ve done all season, getting out into the community.

This week has been business as usual.

“I don’t think anything that has come before these 80 minutes will have any bearing, it will be who is in the moment and who is handling the pressure.

Everything has been in preparation for this, whoever performs closest to their best will win.

"The team who wins in the next two weeks will be the one who executed their plan the best.

“Leeds will be coming out of that game in Catalans strong. It gave them another week to get their players back fit and firing, and means the team has that bit more cohesion, so they’ll take loads of confidence from it.

“They’ve found the form we all knew they were capable of. I probably had them in the top two or three squads at the start of the year, but it didn’t quite happen for them at first.

Since Rohan (Smith) has come in he’s galvanised the group, whatever he has done has been genius, and you can see they love his style.

“He’s been really intelligent in how he’s brought them together, and has got his best players playing well, which is really important.”

Peet says the club are benefiting from their strong relationship with the local community, due to the attendances they have received throughout the season.

“You do feel it’s all paying off,” he added.

“When you come to the DW at the moment there is a feeling of excitement.

Early signs indicate that we will get a good turnout this week, and we know that Leeds will come in their numbers.

“I’m expecting a classic play-off night.

We’re motivated by producing good times for ourselves, our families and our spectators. We want everyone to feel that watching this team pays you back in terms of fun and enjoyment.

“We want to play a style of rugby that they enjoy watching. We want to represent what the town is about, which is hard work and honesty, with a touch of class and innovation.

We’ve put some good foundations in place to build on now. The connection with the fans is great, but we want to get to the point where we know this game will sell out.”

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby- ... os-3843209
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Peet previews Leeds

Matt Peet gives his thoughts ahead of Friday’s Betfred Super League Play-Off Semi Final.

“All that matters is for 80-minutes, the team who performs well, who executes, who handles the pressure will progress into the final and will deserve it.”

Tickets for Friday’s Semi Final remain on sale. All the information including pricing and how to buy can be found HERE.

Matt Peet looks ahead to Friday’s Betfred Super League Play-Off Semi Final against Leeds Rhinos at the DW Stadium.

After finishing second, the Warriors had a week off fixtures. Speaking on how they utilised the team, Peet said: “Initially it was coming out of a pretty hectic period so we prioritised rest and recovery. It was very individualised last week, this week has been very much business as usual, we’ve had some intense days and we’ve got a lot of hard learning done so very standard going into a game. Last week was extended recovery, individualised training and skill work and a bit of fun along the way.”

On their opponents recent form, he said: “It’s probably been the Leeds that we were expecting at the start of the year. Most people would have had them in their top three going into the season and I was the same, I think their squad is right up there with anything in Super League. It’s taken them a while to find their form but now that they have done they’re very dangerous. They’re buying into the style and philosophies that Rohan has brought over.

“We haven’t spoken too much about the past, about the previous meeting or indeed their run, it’s all about who performs well on Friday evening. We will look at the last few games but as we’ve said all season we try and concentrate on bringing the best of us and that’s what we’ll do again on Friday night. We come in confident, as do Leeds and it should be a fantastic game.”

Peet has named Sam Powell in his 21-player squad, and if selected it would mark his 250th game for the Club: “Sam epitomises what we want to be about as a Club, he’s been a fantastic leader at this Club for a few years now as well and he’ll be a welcome addition this week but he doesn’t get caught up in all that. For him the only way to celebrate, and for us, is to go out and get a good performance.

He added: “Most people saw the footage of him celebrating that late try against St Helens, that is something we’ve spoken about, that is exactly the kind of team we want to be. That’s the kind of team mate and Club member that you want, someone who takes as much pride in other people’s success as you do your own.”

Finally, Peet urged the fans to get behind the team once last time at the DW Stadium in 2022: I remember a few years ago when Salford came here for a Semi Final and their fans turned it into a bit of a home game for them, I have a feeling that our fans won’t let that happen this week. The players will be doing everything to make sure that it’s a great night but if it comes down to that last second win I think the fans can make all the difference.

“We understand the financial burden, we understand how difficult it is for people at the moment but if there is room and cash available it’s appreciated by everyone at this Club if you can get down and offer your support on Friday night. We’ll be doing our best to make sure that you hopefully might have to contribute to another ticket for a Grand Final.”

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2022/09/ ... s-leeds-3/
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
Blackpool_Pie

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

Field
French
Bibby
Isa
Marshall

Leuluai
Smith

Byrne
Powell
Singleton
KPP
Bateman
Smithies

O'Neil Mago Havard Cooper
Gerrumonside

Post by Gerrumonside »

Nice except for me drop Bibby and put KPP there and maybe try Kaide Ellis 2nd row and keep the impact bench as it is…
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Leeds Rhinos 'dangerous' warns Wigan coach: Semi-final team news

Wigan Warriors coach Matt Peet insists he is not surprised to be facing Leeds Rhinos in the Betfred Super League semi-finals.

Rhinos were in relegation danger midway through the campaign, but a run of 14 wins from their last 19 matches has left them 80 minutes away from Old Trafford.

Wigan finished second in the table, three places and nine points ahead of Leeds and will go into Friday’s tie as strong favourites, but Peet reckons the visitors are dangerous opponents.

“It is probably the Leeds we all expected at the start of the year,” he said. “I think most people had them in the top two or three and I was the same

“I think their squad is right up there with anything in Super League. It took them a while to find their form, but now they have, they are very dangerous.”

Dream Team prop Mikolaj Oledzki has been included in Rhinos’ initial squad despite suffering a shoulder injury during last Friday’s win at Catalans Dragons.

Second-rower Morgan Gannon drops out because of concussion and joins centre Harry Newman and wingers David Fusitu’a and Ash Handley on the casualty list, along with prop Tom Holroyd and teenage centre Max Simpson.

Another second-rower, Rhyse Martin, is suspended, but Bodene Thompson is in contention for the first time since suffering a rib injury against Hull KR on August 12.

Brad Dwyer, Corey Johnson, Muizz Mustapha and Jack Sinfield are all vying for a recall.

Wigan are without stand-off Cade Cust who has an elbow injury.

Sam Powell comes back into the squad after recovering from a foot injury and is poised to make his 250th Wigan appearance.

Oliver Partington, Liam Byrne, Joe Shorrocks and Abbas Miski retain their place in the 21 despite not being selected against Catalans Dragons two weeks ago.

Wigan Warriors: from French, Bibby, Marshall, Leuluai, Singleton, Powell, Mago, Isa, Bateman, Smithies, Ellis, H Smith, Partington, Harvard, Byrne, Pearce-Paul, Shorrocks, Field, Miski, O’Neill, Cooper.

Leeds Rhinos: from Sutcliffe, Austin, Sezer, Oledzki, Leeming, Prior, Bentley, Tetevano, Dwyer, Myler, C Smith, Thompson, Briscoe, Walters, O’Connor, Donaldson, Johnson, Mustapha, Tindall, Sinfield, Hardaker.

Referee: Liam Moore (Wigan).

https://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/ ... ws-3844007
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

Blackpool_Pie wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 5:48 am Field
French
Bibby
Isa
Marshall

Leuluai
Smith

Byrne
Powell
Singleton
KPP
Bateman
Smithies

O'Neil Mago Havard Cooper
I cover my views on Powell on that thread, but I have 2 other thoughts. First, I prefer Ellis to Singleton, who seems to be in the Luaki class these days for ineffectual running. It’s not a strong opinion, and I haven’t checked the stats, but he looks to me to give us no post contact metres and a slow ptb. Second, which contradicts the first in a way, I would not be disappointed to see KPP in the centres and Ellis at 13, as I think someone else commented just now.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Really don't ike Isa in the centres. Would prefer KPP, or even Bateman, there.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Im with moto….. play willie second row with KPP and bibby centre….. willie will throw himself about in the opening exchanges
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

I wouldn't normally want to see Isa and Bibby on the same flank but French will need KPP alongside him for defence. I wish Halsall was there, personally.