Wigan squad for Semi Final

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Barney841

Re: Wigan squad for Semi Final

Post by Barney841 »

Looking forward to the game tonight!
Predictions anyone?
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

26-14
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 7:32 am
Southern Softy wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 1:54 pm I hope Havard's a certainty to play. I, personally, wouldn't have Mago anywhere near the team but I suspect he will wander on at some stage; drop the ball; do some dodgy offloads; give away penalties and generally have a smashing time.

If O'Neill isn't in the squad I wouldn't be surprised if he decides to move elsewhere at the end of the season - I would. He gives a team many more options in open play.

We are a better side than Leeds - now we have to prove it and I believe we can.
I think O’Neill will wait another year before he will feel the need to move on

However I don’t see a way any hooker gets in this team outside a Powell injury. Powell plays 80mins that’s sort of his biggest strength - so he won’t be spelled and it’s not like you can really wait for him to drop his form - Powell won’t be terrible ever he is what he is - and he gives you the same thing every match so it’s hard to see how anybody else gets in the team
I find it easy to understand a coach's thinking: if I had a player who had played in 5 Grand Finals*, only played half of this season but now fit, I'd pick him all day long.

*Won 2. The 3 losses include the great performance by 12 men when Flower was sent off, and the narrowest of losses with the fluke try for the wunderkind.
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

(I am loathe to point out on here that O’Neill has a 100% track record in his major final - which was the most recent one - and is match fit, as there is a separate thread for issues with Powell’s selection.)

As far as predictions go, I think we can score more than 20 against Leeds even without Cust and O’Neill. And I think we can keep them below 20, even without Faz. So, 22-14 for me. 🤞am very nervous…
Blackpool_Pie

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

I'm more worried about it being almost like a home fixture for Leeds to be honest. When they travel well, their away following is loud. We look likely to have sold around 3-4 thousand at a push. I get it's still 30 quid a ticket minus a fiver for St holders, but we really should be doing a lot better for such a crunch game. Too much chicken counting wanting to go to Manchester next week.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

26-10
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

morley pie eater wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 11:46 am
Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 7:32 am
Southern Softy wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 1:54 pm I hope Havard's a certainty to play. I, personally, wouldn't have Mago anywhere near the team but I suspect he will wander on at some stage; drop the ball; do some dodgy offloads; give away penalties and generally have a smashing time.

If O'Neill isn't in the squad I wouldn't be surprised if he decides to move elsewhere at the end of the season - I would. He gives a team many more options in open play.

We are a better side than Leeds - now we have to prove it and I believe we can.
I think O’Neill will wait another year before he will feel the need to move on

However I don’t see a way any hooker gets in this team outside a Powell injury. Powell plays 80mins that’s sort of his biggest strength - so he won’t be spelled and it’s not like you can really wait for him to drop his form - Powell won’t be terrible ever he is what he is - and he gives you the same thing every match so it’s hard to see how anybody else gets in the team
I find it easy to understand a coach's thinking: if I had a player who had played in 5 Grand Finals*, only played half of this season but now fit, I'd pick him all day long.

*Won 2. The 3 losses include the great performance by 12 men when Flower was sent off, and the narrowest of losses with the fluke try for the wunderkind.
The 12 men game we did put a good effort in but I think the saints game is an example of what I’ve said before with saints they are such a good team you need sharp attack

Interesting actually weve never beaten anyone in a final except Warrington since mickey Mac left - and we’ve only beaten saints once in the last 2 years and that was when Powell didn’t play

So if we are taking records into account I’m not sure that works in powells favour
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Wigan_forever1985

Anyone doubting Sam would walk back into the team wigan have made special shirts for his 250th game so looks like the obvious answer is obvious
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 6:29 pm Anyone doubting Sam would walk back into the team wigan have made special shirts for his 250th game so looks like the obvious answer is obvious
Is there a link to it?
Wigan_forever1985

medlocke wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 6:33 pm
Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 6:29 pm Anyone doubting Sam would walk back into the team wigan have made special shirts for his 250th game so looks like the obvious answer is obvious
Is there a link to it?
https://twitter.com/wiganwarriorsrl/sta ... Hj4emg_OXA