Leeds Rhinos Zak Hardaker latest: Rohan Smith issues gloomy update

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Leeds Rhinos Zak Hardaker latest: Rohan Smith issues gloomy update

Post by josie andrews »

Leeds Rhinos’ hopes of retaining star back Zak Hardaker appear to be fading.

The full-back/centre rejoined Rhinos on a short-term deal after being released by Wigan Warriors in April and was hugely influential as they went from relegation contenders to Grand Finalists.

His contract ended after Leeds’ 74-0 loss to New Zealand on Saturday and though he is keen to stay and the club want to keep him, coach Rohan Smith said they don’t have space on the salary cap.

“The squad will never be finalised, it will always be a work in progress,” Smith stated.

There will be updates when there are updates, but at the moment there’s no salary cap room to do anything. Until there is, nothing can happen.”

Asked about the implications for Hardaker, Smith emphasised: “We can’t do anything until there’s some salary cap room. Currently Zak’s uncontracted and there is no salary cap room to make a move.”

Rhinos’ players are now on their off-season break and Smith insisted he is already looking forward to beginning preparations for 2023, despite the record drubbing by a red hot Kiwi side.

Smith, who took charge in May, said: “I am looking forward to getting some planning and some admin done this week, then the week after having a bit of a holiday.

I am excited about pre-season and what’s ahead - disappointed a bit we couldn’t have made it a bit tighter and limited the damage a bit tonight, but overall [it has been a] cracking five months; a great journey and a great ride.”

New Zealand are the world’s number one-ranked team and showed their intent with a ruthless 14-try performance which underlined their status as contenders to lift the trophy at Old Trafford next month.

“They were tremendous,” Smith said. “They are here to play and to attack the World Cup.

They were very quick, very well prepared; they are very athletic and there’s more athletes to come into that group. I think they will be a real threat to the World Cup.

For any Super League team to be playing at this time of year against a team like that would be a struggle.

“We had a bunch of players unavailable, but if you are a rugby league fan you have come and enjoyed that, I think, because some of the best players that have played in the last 15 years were playing in that game.”

He added: “Obviously it was a big challenge; individually I thought there was a lot of effort, collectively the connectedness wasn’t there as you’d expect with disrupted preparation.

“It was an event, that was the whole purpose - for the Kiwis to get a hit-out before the World Cup started and for us to farewell some players and enjoy a night of rugby league as much as possible without the result being the key.”

Rhinos gave a first run out to Luke Hooley, the full-back who has joined them from Batley Bulldogs on a two-year contract beginning next season.

There’s no bigger test than playing against those fellas, so I think it sets him up well for a big pre-season and to ready himself for Super League,” Smith said.

https://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/ ... te-3872756
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
medlocke

Re: Leeds Rhinos Zak Hardaker latest: Rohan Smith issues gloomy update

Post by medlocke »

Oh dear, at least he's close to home :shock:
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

medlocke wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:31 am Oh dear, at least he's close to home :shock:
He will be at wakey or feath next
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

They’ll find a way of keeping,assuming of course they really want to keep him,Smith has gone through the club with a new broom does laughing boy fit into his plans?
keptinthedarkfans

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

fozzieskem wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 10:37 am They’ll find a way of keeping,assuming of course they really want to keep him,Smith has gone through the club with a new broom does laughing boy fit into his plans?
I don't think he wants him. Why bring in a full back. Knowing he needed space to accommodate him. Don't wish the lad any hardship. But he is a master of his own downfall. And at some point his past behaviour of clubs will come back to bite him. Championship beckons I think.
irl_warr

Post by irl_warr »

keptinthedarkfans wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 11:47 am
fozzieskem wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 10:37 am They’ll find a way of keeping,assuming of course they really want to keep him,Smith has gone through the club with a new broom does laughing boy fit into his plans?
I don't think he wants him. Why bring in a full back. Knowing he needed space to accommodate him. Don't wish the lad any hardship. But he is a master of his own downfall. And at some point his past behaviour of clubs will come back to bite him. Championship beckons I think.
I believe Rohan Smith does see through the "act". Wane saw through it, just a shame Radlinski didn't.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

irl_warr wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 12:48 pm
keptinthedarkfans wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 11:47 am
I believe Rohan Smith does see through the "act". Wane saw through it, just a shame Radlinski didn't.
Yes I agree with both answers it’ll be interesting to see if he does stay though to me they’re trying to be seen to “do a deal”while not doing so if you catch my drift.
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Leeds signed a couple of players last week.
Perhaps they've taken. some of the SC that could have gone Hardaker's way.
Or perhaps, Smith just doesn't want him!
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

If the rhinos have any common sense they would get rid!
Zak is absolute liability, he’s proved this time after time.
When he messed up before his contract had started with Wigan m, I wanted them to tear it up!
ddtftf

Post by ddtftf »

The word Rotton Apple in a barrow comes to mind total idiot will never change thinks he is the best when really average