England Team to face Samoa

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

England Team to face Samoa

Post by josie andrews »

Mike Cooper_17 and Kai Pearce Paul _ 24 both named in the England_RL squad to take on Samoa on Saturday

1 Sam Tomkins C
2 Tommy Makinson
3 Kalimantan Watkins
4 Herbie Farnworth
6 Jack Welsby
7 George Williams
8 Tom Burgess
9 Micky McIllorum
10 Luke Thompson
11 Elliott Whitehead
13 Victor Radley
14 Dom Young
15 Morgan Knowles
16 Matty Lees
17 Mike Cooper
18 Chris Hill
20 Mike McMeeken
21 Marc Sneyd
24 Kai Pearce Paul

https://mobile.twitter.com/wiganwarrior ... -rK98Xtgaw
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: England Team to face Samoa

Post by josie andrews »

Samoa name 19-man squad as bookies make them strong favourites to beat England

Samoa have named their 19-man squad to face England in the Rugby League World Cup opener on Saturday.

The game at St James’ Park is much-anticipated, with Samoa boasting their strongest ever squad full of NRL talent.

Among their squad, named today by head coach Matt Parish, are a number of players who featured in the NRL Grand Final between Parramatta Eels and Penrith Panthers, such as Brian To’o, Izack Tago, Jarome Luai, Oregon Kaufusi, Spencer Leniu and Stephen Crichton

Samoa are not only favourites with the bookmakers to beat England in Saturday’s clash, but the Pacific Island nation are also ranked as third favourites to win the tournament behind Australia and Samoa.

Sponsors Betfred make Samoa 4/6 odds on for victory at St James’ Park, with their odds to win the World Cup now as short as 9/1.

Former Salford coach Parish has claimed Samoa are ‘underdone’ coming into the tournament, but England coach Shaun Wane is fully aware of the mammoth task facing him and his team following their squad announcement today.

Samoa 19-man squad to face England:

13 Josh Aloiai,
4 Stephen Crichton,
24 Braden Hamlin-Uele,
20 Chanel Harris-Tavita,
23 Oregon Kaufusi,
16 Spencer Leniu,
9 Danny Levi,
6 Jarome Luai,
14 Tyrone May,
7 Anthony Milford,
8 Josh Papalii,
10 Junior Paulo,
12 Jaydn Su’a,
1 Joseph Suaalii,
18 Hamiso Tabuai-Fidlow,
3 Izack Tago,
17 Martin Taupa’u,
5 Brian To’o,
22 Kelma Tuilagi.

https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/samoa-na ... and-60384/
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

Have to say the starting squad for the Samoa game doesn’t look at bad as I thought it would
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Dom Young on the wing, we should win...
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Mike wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 4:04 pm Dom Young on the wing, we should win...
🤞🏼🤞🏼
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

This is a statement game if I ever saw one the odds seemed based Purley on the number of NRL players in the squads. Time for the best if SL to show if they can stand up.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

Their squad looks pretty good but I'm sure that their lack of a warm-up game and preparation time will make things difficult for them. Hopefully we'll make a good start and get on top before they find their stride. Perhaps just as well we get to play them first.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Sam Tomkins relishes underdogs tag and believes England can win the Rugby League World Cup

It's the biggest and most inclusive World Cup in rugby league's 127 history.

For the first time ever the men's, women's and wheelchair tournaments are taking place at the same time, and the North West is at heart of the action.

Bolton, Leigh, Liverpool, Manchester, Preston, St Helens, Warrington and Wigan are all hosting either teams or games.

While the women's and wheelchair competitions start in November, the men's competition kicks off with England against Samoa on 15 October at Newcastle United's St James' Park.

Leading the host nation are Wiganers Shaun Wane and Sam Tomkins. The Head Coach and captain both have dreams of a first ever World Cup crown for England.

Sam says: "I truly believe we can (win). We're underdogs we're not favourites for this competition there's probably two or three nations in front of us.

"But underdogs is a tag we're happy to go into it with. We've got nothing to lose and we've got a group of really good players who are desperate to win."

Shaun says: "Very proud. I love the national anthem. I love the fact that there's going to be 40-50,000 England fans always pushing us to win.

"And that's just a real good pressure on us to make sure that we perform at our best."

England were beaten 6-0 in the final by Australia at the last World Cup in 2017.

The reigning champions, along with New Zealand and Tonga are among the favourites to win this year's tournament.

North West talent dominates England's squad and the home-grown heroes have more motivation to go all way with this year's final being held at Manchester United's Old Trafford stadium.

Salford Red Devils and England player Kallum Watkins says: "That's means a lot. I grew up in Manchester and played at Old Trafford three times in the Grand Final.

"To get there in the World Cup final would be the ultimate dream."

St Helens and England player Jack Welsby adds: "A home World Cup is probably only going to happen once in your career.

"So for me I'm just buzzing that I've got the chance at this age to come in and train with these blokes and hopefully play with them as well."

Warrington Wolves and England player George Williams says: "My first call up was 2015 and it doesn't feel any different.

"You still get that buzz, I don't know what it is inside you, but you come off the phone a little bit emotional.

"It's brilliant, it's the best phone call you can get all year really."

Uncapped Herbie Farnworth is an exciting call up for England. The 22-year-old left his Lancashire home of Barrowford five years ago to play down under in Brisbane.

After a difficult start that bold move is now paying off.

Herbie says: "It was horrible! It was really hard.

"I remember my last day over here I was sat on the bench at the bus stop and just started crying my eyes out. I was thinking what am I doing? Really, really tough thing to do.

"Playing in this World Cup, it's my debut and to play in front of my family and friends would be a special moment. To go on and win it would be something else."

After Covid-19 forced a 12 month delay, the teams, the supporters and the North West are all ready with the start of the Rugby League World Cup finally here.

https://www.itv.com/news/granada/2022-1 ... -world-cup
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Watkins looking to rewrite history at Rugby League World Cup

Kallum Watkins insists it is time to rewrite history as he prepares for his third Rugby League World Cup with England.

The Salford star remembers all too well the haunts of the last two tournaments when he featured in both sides that suffered agonising defeats.

The centre was in the England team that bowed out of the 2013 semi-final to New Zealand after a Shaun Johnson try in the dying seconds.

And 2017 brought more heartbreak — a torturous 6-0 defeat in Brisbane to Australia – when a breakaway Watkins was ankle tapped in the final moments.

The 31-year-old admits those painful memories have served as motivation as he prepares for Saturday’s World Cup opener against Samoa at Newcastle’s St James’ Park.

He said: “There are moments there that you do look back on and you want to make amends for but at the same time that's part of the past.

Obviously it can be a motivating factor. You bring it in when you can. I don’t think about it necessarily when I'm playing, but more in preparation.”

Watkins has been included in the provisional 19-man matchday squad and is expected to take one of the centre spots, despite playing in the back-row for Salford for much of the season following his return from an ACL injury earlier in the year.

“As a centre you can probably be in and out the game and sometimes you don't get the ball as much as you want to,” said Watkins, who played most of his decorated career at Leeds as a centre.

“As a back-row you’re always in tackles or you always have to be alert and I like that part of the game. But any position is key especially playing for your country. The main thing is the team comes first.”

If England do make it to the final at Old Trafford, Watkins will be no stranger to the Stretford End, having played in three victorious Super League Grand Finals at Old Trafford with Leeds Rhinos.

It would also mark something of a homecoming for the veteran.

My dad doesn’t live far off Old Trafford. We grew up in Stretford and a lot of my cousins, live near there too,” he said.

It'll be cool for them to see the games. With dad especially, he's been there all the way through my career.

“The games being over here – especially the final at Old Trafford – is huge. I played a few times there with Leeds and I now have an opportunity to do that in an England shirt. It is the ultimate.”

The Rugby League World Cup promises to be the biggest, best and most inclusive event in the sport’s 127-year history with men’s, women’s and wheelchair teams competing in 61 games across 21 venues throughout England. Tickets are available via rlwc2021.com/tickets

https://www.ealingtimes.co.uk/news/2305 ... world-cup/
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Well fancy that! A local West London newspaper reporting on the WC!

The majority of national dailies have a job to write about RL or a World Cup at all unless it’s something nasty!