Bateman

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
Charriots Offiah

Re: Bateman

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Dreamteam wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 4:42 pm
Dan2266 wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 4:17 pm Bateman hasn't been the same since his shoulder injury.

For the level of money he is being paid we could get two players in who would perform as well as he has since returning, he's stood out in 1 game that I can remember, regardless of his influence and the way he is off the pitch, he's a shadow of his former self on it.

I don't think we'll miss him too much. Farrell & KPP start second row, Isa can fill in when needed, Personally it wouldn't shock me if we make a play for Radley, Wane absolutely loves him and has been raving about him to the club. he is on roughly £150,000 a year in Aus and his contract only has 1 year left.

Bateman leaving frees up money to improve other areas of the squad if the club are happy with our current second row options, however we will need to look at second row at the end of next season when we'd of lost Bateman and KPP.
This is how I imagined majority of Wigan fans would feel about bateman. We have to look long term not just what’s best for next season
If we are looking long-term then why not let KPP move to Newcastle immediately? Throw Junior into the team and kill him. If the club had been looking at the long-term then they would have tied Nicholson down.
Charriots Offiah

Dan2266 wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 4:17 pm Bateman hasn't been the same since his shoulder injury.

For the level of money he is being paid we could get two players in who would perform as well as he has since returning, he's stood out in 1 game that I can remember, regardless of his influence and the way he is off the pitch, he's a shadow of his former self on it.

I don't think we'll miss him too much. Farrell & KPP start second row, Isa can fill in when needed, Personally it wouldn't shock me if we make a play for Radley, Wane absolutely loves him and has been raving about him to the club. he is on roughly £150,000 a year in Aus and his contract only has 1 year left.

Bateman leaving frees up money to improve other areas of the squad if the club are happy with our current second row options, however we will need to look at second row at the end of next season when we'd of lost Bateman and KPP.
Victor Radley is a top player but he gets paid $500k.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 4:55 pm

This is how I imagined majority of Wigan fans would feel about bateman. We have to look long term not just what’s best for next season
If we are looking long-term then why not let KPP move to Newcastle immediately? Throw Junior into the team and kill him. If the club had been looking at the long-term then they would have tied Nicholson down.
That doesn't sound like a good idea? Why not keep KPP for another year and bring Junior in graduallly and not kill him? Perhaps that would work better in the long term?
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
doc

Post by doc »

Junior tends to play down the left and KPP down the right so I see Nsemba being Faz's successor and KPP being Bateman's.

You also have to factor in that Peet has gone for a more attacking style of game plan and this suits KPP's game more than Bateman's.
Dreamteam

Post by Dreamteam »

doc wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 5:51 pm Junior tends to play down the left and KPP down the right so I see Nsemba being Faz's successor and KPP being Bateman's.

He played down the right when he was at Jude’s so he can play both sides very well tbf
Dreamteam

Post by Dreamteam »

I don’t really get that argument. I’m simply saying looking long term we can get a suitable replacement in a years team who can be from overseas while also taking juniors development up a gear
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Dreamteam wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 6:03 pm

I don’t really get that argument. I’m simply saying looking long term we can get a suitable replacement in a years team who can be from overseas while also taking juniors development up a gear
This is the way to go
Charriots Offiah

Because keeping KPP is short-term thinking. There is little point in letting Bateman go if we are not going to recruit.
Charriots Offiah

medlocke wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 6:20 pm

This is the way to go
Wigan are in the business of winning trophies. Getting rid of Bateman and not signing a player of a similar standard can only damage our prospects. There is no guarantee that we can sign a quality non-federation player next season, unless you guys are in the know? This is wing and prayer planning. I suppose the good news would be that by selling Bateman and not replacing him it would help to balance the club’s books. Anyone who is advocating moving Bateman on shouldn’t complain when others follow.
Dreamteam

Post by Dreamteam »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 6:36 pm

Because keeping KPP is short-term thinking. There is little point in letting Bateman go if we are not going to recruit.
The only reason we are having this discussion is because bateman is leaving tho. As much as I don’t think he’s worth the money I wouldn’t release him from his contract so why would you release kpp from his one year early it just doesn’t make sense. People forget how young kpp is as well he’s not even played a full season in his actual position and he’s been around the first team over 2 years now