PDRL England V NZ

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

PDRL England V NZ

Post by josie andrews »

Free live stream on RLWC now ( Our League )
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
southportcdm

Re: PDRL England V NZ

Post by southportcdm »

Great performances so far from all the team. Best of luck for Sunday.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

southportcdm wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 5:08 pm Great performances so far from all the team. Best of luck for Sunday.
What was the final score? Missed majority of second half going to rescue a 12 year old black cat 🐈‍⬛
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

England beat NZ 50-2 on Friday and are playing them again(?) in the final today at 7pm
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

southportcdm wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 3:52 pm England beat NZ 50-2 on Friday and are playing them again(?) in the final today at 7pm
Yeah I found that out today, thank you 😊
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

A mention for England PDRL captain Scott Gobin, who's a Morley lad and former neighbour of ours. Well done to the whole team - when was the last time England won a world cup?!!
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

Watched it on iplayer last night the wife not an avid rugby was enthralled by some of the skills that players especially with some having part of limbs missing.England no 4 could shift as well as no7 and the forward he was a big lad boy how he could run. Some good tries scored well worth a watch.
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

jaws1 wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 7:35 am Watched it on iplayer last night the wife not an avid rugby was enthralled by some of the skills that players especially with some having part of limbs missing.England no 4 could shift as well as no7 and the forward he was a big lad boy how he could run. Some good tries scored well worth a watch.
i really enyoyed watching the PDRL games

1st hit in the England v Oz game set the tone for me. No messing about and just smashed into each other. I also like how inclusive it is and the subtle modifications to the rules to allow players with different disabilities to be able to compete with each other.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

the pieman wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 9:43 am
jaws1 wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 7:35 am Watched it on iplayer last night the wife not an avid rugby was enthralled by some of the skills that players especially with some having part of limbs missing.England no 4 could shift as well as no7 and the forward he was a big lad boy how he could run. Some good tries scored well worth a watch.
i really enyoyed watching the PDRL games

1st hit in the England v Oz game set the tone for me. No messing about and just smashed into each other. I also like how inclusive it is and the subtle modifications to the rules to allow players with different disabilities to be able to compete with each other.
Me too, I thought they were all brilliant games to watch. In fact, I enjoyed watching the PDRL games more than the main games 😊

Looking forward to the Wheelchair ♿️ RLWC2021 game too. They are bloody mental 😉😉😂😂
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Scott Gobin leads England PDRL to World Cup victory

A YORK man who led England to victory in the inaugural Physical Disability Rugby League (PDRL) World Cup hopes the achievement will be be a catalyst for the sport.

Scott Gobin, who was born without a lower right arm, captained England’s PDRL squad which beat New Zealand 42-10 to win the first ever World Cup, securing the side's place in the history books.

England went undefeated throughout the tournament, which also featured Wales and Australia. The final was at Halliwell Jones Stadium in Warrington following Samoa’s huge win over France in the men’s world cup, with many spectators staying on to watch the PDRL teams.

The 30-year-old said: "I am sore, battered and bruised. The adrenalin has started to wear off now. But it was worth it 100 per cent. I would do it all over.

“We had four games in seven days which was very intense. Luckily, we had good physios who helped us massively with our recovery. The days after the games were difficult when you started to feel aches and pains. But when it was a game day, we were just ready to get on that pitch and do everyone proud.

“The final was a tough game. We’d played the Kiwis on the Friday and beat them comfortably. Coming into the finals, we knew they were going to give everything they had. In the first half they came out guns blazing. Credit to our lads, who could’ve dropped their heads, but at half time we regrouped, and it was all about keeping calm, relaxed and doing what we’d trained to do.

“We came out in the second half and managed to get the job done. It was amazing to win. I was overwhelmed. Everyone had put the hard work in, knew what they wanted to do, and it all came together.”

Following the victory, Scott hopes their success will inspire other physically-disabled people to try the sport and become part of a close-knit community where people of all abilities are treated equally.

The England team included players with a range of disabilities including cerebral palsy, multiple sclerosis (MS) and Parkinson’s Disease. A player’s classification is shown by the colour of their socks. Someone who cannot be physically tackled because of their impairment wears red shorts.

Scott, who usually plays for Leeds Rhinos PDRL and has also captained Yorkshire’s PDRL team, thanked his colleagues for their support as he returned to work.

Speaking on the PDRL, Scott said: "It’s a fantastic sport to be involved with. I am hoping it gets as big as it can and inspires more disabled people into the sport. It’s a second family."

When not on the pitch, Scott is a HR administrator in the People Team at York-headquartered VetPartners.

To get involved in Physical Disability Rugby League, search for your local team online.

https://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/230981 ... p-victory/