Owen Farrell

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
The Pearl1

Re: Owen Farrell

Post by The Pearl1 »

josie andrews wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 10:18 am
willholt wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 9:35 am Does anyone have an update on the Faz rumour? I assumed seeing he’s back at saracens it was a non starter but still seeing people saying it’s a done deal on twitter
Heard a deal will be announced 1st December, but I do hope this is not going to happen! 🙁
How come?

Union convert so wouldn’t count on the salary cap.

Elite leadership skills

Wigan in his blood, been a massive fan all his life and has always kept close links with the club.

Great marketing tool for the club

You can guarantee the squad would be buzzing to have him.

People who know more about rugby than me (Sam Tomkins for example) think he’d be a great hit in RL.

If he had to use a marquee spot on him I’d agree on not wanting it to happen but it’s a no lose situation IMO.
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

I agree Pearl1

If the deal means we used a cap marquee spot or even his wages on the cap apart from 50% next season I would have agreed with Josie.

It's a no brainer. I did not come in 1996 to watch Wigan RL I came to watch Inga. Supporting ever since.

Farrell will bring a lot of media attention worldwide. He is made for 13 has good hands played years as a centre so defensively will be good. Union international centres are good in attack and defence.
bonbon

Post by bonbon »

I'd have him in a heartbeat, imagine the publicity for Wigan and Rugby League. The prodical son returns home.
Wigan turnin Blue-My arse
The future is bright, the future is Cherry & White
ANCIENT & LOYAL 1872
Wigan RLFC not just a religion

To do list
Win World Club Challenge-2021
Win Challenge Cup-2021
Win Super League-2020
Win League Leaders Shield-2020
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

If Owen did sign then I don't think he would be a marquee player on the SC.
As he's from "another sport" then as far as I'm aware then that's separate from the marquee exemptions and would be 100% exempt ion the first year and 50% in the second as we know!

I reckon Owen would kill it with Wigan and in RL.
He'd surely play air loose in the 13 shirt for the numerous and very obvious reasons.
We will have a great pack next year and with Bevan and Harry as halves, Jai as full back we'll have a spine no one can compare with.

Josie says she heard a rumour about an announcement on 1st December the day Mike Danson formally takes over. If there is an announcement I wouldn't bet against it being Owen has signed.
I mean, wow!
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

bonbon wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 2:39 pm I'd have him in a heartbeat, imagine the publicity for Wigan and Rugby League. The prodical son returns home.
Sadly though as his status can't be utilised without impacting the Cap bar the rugby media itself it won't do much.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Caboosegg wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 10:30 pm
bonbon wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 2:39 pm I'd have him in a heartbeat, imagine the publicity for Wigan and Rugby League. The prodical son returns home.
Sadly though as his status can't be utilised without impacting the Cap bar the rugby media itself it won't do much.
That’s only benefits to the player, not the club…

If he comes to Wigan, it clearly won’t be for the money, so I don’t see this as being an issue.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

I do get the feeling that we are holding back on releasing the new kit to also announce a signing.No proof just a hunch
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
doc

Post by doc »

Not happening according to one of Andy Farrell's brothers.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

If it was to happen,and I don't think it will surely never mind faffing about till December get him over and get him fit and I mean rugby league fit then let him learn the game again..

Like I say I just don't see it happening but what do I know
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Wether he comes or not i do think we need another player.A backrower or a utility threequarter, or both
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE