Owen Farrell

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
Crossy210

Re: Owen Farrell

Post by Crossy210 »

lucky 13 wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 7:21 pm I have posted this a few times so sorry in advance but since I was told I have been looking at RU articles and forums. The written media seems to have turned on him over that same period. Like with all this it could be that England have been poor and he's the highest profile player so got the flack. Though I do wonder if some have got an idea of what's coming. It's the same with his contract he's 31 probably peaked and RU at club level is struggling with 600m of debt. He was in 700k and they was saying he had been offered less that since went up steadily last contract was believed to be 1m a season which was before world cup but still not signed. Why would it keep going up is what I asked myself? Again you can make it fit that it was Wigan. Smithies leaving the 13 shirt the latest in a line of pieces falling into place.
Why would he come well it's not for money at least not short term. Reason I say that is he's got maybe 3 years left but after that you already see quotes saying in union circles he's a great coach,
it looks like ticking a box in your CV with some league is no bad thing it's a long career after you finish playing. Maybe it's an itch, a boyhood dream and he's already more than set up for life.
Sure we will find out shortly.
I was hoping we would see Smithies tied up and Harry Smith extended I would have loved that to be the case, I have a feeling Harry may extend as it was being discussed definitely interesting times. I can see the new kit reveal in the next few weeks starting with the socks then camera pans up to the shirt with 13 on the back :D
Gotta agree with all of this smithies was turning into a great 13. With Farrell at the point he is and with union kind of on its backside it would make sense for him to add a bit of league to his cv. Whilst probably earning a fortune.
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 7:23 pm Owen Farrell is a class rugby player, period.
Agree with Charriots.
He was England's best player last night and has been for years.
I hope he does play in the Cherry and White and the temptation to give him the 13 shirt would be too good a publicity opportunity for the club, and him, to miss.
Besides he would probably make a very good 13 anyway.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I can’t say I care either way. It’s Danson’s money, and he won’t count on the cap in year one anyway. Given the risk from his perspective, I don’t see what’s in it for him.
Bonnie Raithwaite 2

Post by Bonnie Raithwaite 2 »

Owen Farrell is a winner, a competitor and a leader of men in the same vein as his dad, Shaun Edwards, etc.

He’d be a great signing on the pitch as well as off it. If the Club can make it happen, I can’t see why any Wigan fan would be against it. As a ball playing 13, he’d add another element to our attack.

I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s the best 13 in Super League in 2024 if he signs.
lucky 13

Post by lucky 13 »

I agree with ball in hand it would be great but having that ability to go toe to toe with teams down the middle we will miss what Morgan did for us. I suppose we can mix it up with the forwards we have starting with Byrne Dupree Thomson then bringing, Havard Ellis /Mago Cooper on with Farrell anyways it's not happened yet maybe if we sign someone it will be someone else.
If I was Wigan I would also look at that link play and maybe mix it up with the link ball carrier actually being able to bust the line, it would just ask the defender another question and cause that extra yard. Maybe Farrell can do that but I wouldn't be against Thomson Ellis or Mago having a crack same off scrums just to offer the threat. Sorry getting carried away :)
02/04/2010/
[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff24 ... 10-1-1.jpg[/IMG]

HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dan2266

Post by Dan2266 »

Crossy210 wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 5:41 pm This rumour seems to be gathering momentum again. Do we genuinely think it will happen or not?
Its more than just a rumour, things are actually happening. It all depends if he signs or not.

But it is definitely something that's closer to happening than not, from what I've been told every aspect is now verbally agreed.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Well let’s hope his ego doesn’t cause problems for us! We’ve been there before with Hastings!

Owen Farrell conduct criticised as pundit tells team-mates to 'grab hold of him'

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rug ... t-27958473
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
John512

Post by John512 »

josie andrews wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 9:11 am Well let’s hope his ego doesn’t cause problems for us! We’ve been there before with Hastings!
I completely disagree. The guy has no presence on social media and lives away from the media as much as he can. It's been highlighted before by ex players that it's part of the reason he gets so much abuse online. He's not like a James Haskell or Joe Marler that does a lot in the media, has a major presence online etc. Farrell gets on with his life away from the spotlight, and is the ultimate professional on the pitch.

RE the semi final and mouthing at the ref, that's not ego, that's being competitive. He knows that's his last world cup. He's competitive and humble, not egotistical.
Crossy210

Post by Crossy210 »

Dan2266 wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 8:39 am
Crossy210 wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 5:41 pm This rumour seems to be gathering momentum again. Do we genuinely think it will happen or not?
Its more than just a rumour, things are actually happening. It all depends if he signs or not.

But it is definitely something that's closer to happening than not, from what I've been told every aspect is now verbally agreed.
I’ve heard rumblings it was in process but was very unsure if it was something actually happening or not. But now it’s been said by someone like yourself. I’m more hopeful it does happen in all honesty
Superb Chops

Post by Superb Chops »

josie andrews wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 9:11 am Well let’s hope his ego doesn’t cause problems for us! We’ve been there before with Hastings!

Owen Farrell conduct criticised as pundit tells team-mates to 'grab hold of him'

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rug ... t-27958473
Or, alternatively, let's hope Farrell has an ego to help improve Wigan RLFC.

But that's not the narrative here. It appears union is flinging mud as league looks to be taking a star player home.

Mr Danson appears to be setting his stall out to both codes. Very exciting.