Owen Farrell

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
bertina

Re: Owen Farrell

Post by bertina »

fozzieskem wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 10:51 am
Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 10:08 am I think its now or never for the Farrell idea any older than he is now and he wouldnt contribute anything
That's assuming he's offer anything meaningful now I'm not against the lad at all but I'm a cynic at 32 years old having played union all of his life it's a massive ask for anyone..

Now if he'd have signed 5 years back well that's a different story isn't it
Agree 100%
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

I’d argue it’s much easier to transition to league than to union

He’s an athlete like his father

Personally I think he could play 2-3 years well at 13 if he came now
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 8:59 pm I’d argue it’s much easier to transition to league than to union

I can't think of one union convert in the last 10 years other than Burrell at wire and this is the problem everyone is saying oh he's a natural 13 based on nothing more than his dad was handy there.

Different game league always has always will be
Blackpool_Pie

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

fozzieskem wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 10:34 pm
Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 8:59 pm I’d argue it’s much easier to transition to league than to union

I can't think of one union convert in the last 10 years other than Burrell at wire and this is the problem
2 points

Firstly surely that's because not many want to come from union to league as union has much more money

Secondly you could say that the other way round. Bar ex NRL players who I don't really keep tabs on, i don't recall any league players lighting union up over the last 20 years apart from Robinson and some of the very best have gone to Union and failed
Crossy210

Post by Crossy210 »

Blackpool_Pie wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 3:26 am

I can't think of one union convert in the last 10 years other than Burrell at wire and this is the problem
2 points

Firstly surely that's because not many want to come from union to league as union has much more money

Secondly you could say that the other way round. Bar ex NRL players who I don't really keep tabs on, i don't recall any league players lighting union up over the last 20 years apart from Robinson and some of the very best have gone to Union and failed
The problem with players going to union is that as much as people on here won’t like it is a much much more technical game with many more nuances in positions. For someone like Farrell that has experience in the centres becoming a league second row wouldn’t be that much of a change for him. He’d be expected to play as a link player and do defensive work. Very little difference
jobo

Post by jobo »

Crossy210 wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 8:29 am

2 points

The problem with players going to union is that as much as people on here won’t like it is a much much more technical game with many more nuances in positions. For someone like Farrell that has experience in the centres becoming a league second row wouldn’t be that much of a change for him. He’d be expected to play as a link player and do defensive work. Very little difference
Nuances in the forward play, not so much in the backs.

Reckon Farrell would do well in league though.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

I think maybe a point is being missed here about converts from yawnion to league: this is a lad who was brought up in Wigan and played at St Pat's.

I'm not saying that he'd therefore for in immediately, but it's hugely different than someone switching who has very little background in league. Owen will, I'm sure, have continued to"follow" league, and will be aware of aspects of play that many union players would be unaware of.
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

2 points

It’s not much more technical or nuanced. It’s just different. It really makes me laugh that Union types try and sell their game as some sort of chess game while at the same time are incapable of appreciating the ebb and flow of RL.

My eldest son played RU for years. I even coached it and go a certificate for it. We went on tour to South Africa.

He was a back on the wing and found it boring. He played RL for his Uni team as a no 9 (having shot up in size and build post 16) and loved it.

There is an obvious technique to scrums, rucks and mauls in RU but it’s not rocket science. Line outs are a farce now they allow lifting but this is where the RU mythology lies. In the forwards.

Owen Farrell, if he signs, might not be an absolute flop. He’s too much of an athlete just to be a farce of a player but Wigan would still have to chuck a lot of money at him to get him here and despite the fact he would not count on the cap I’d have checked the money at Smithies instead.
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

DaveO wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 1:59 am

2 points

It’s not much more technical or nuanced. It’s just different. It really makes me laugh that Union types try and sell their game as some sort of chess game while at the same time are incapable of appreciating the ebb and flow of RL.

My eldest son played RU for years. I even coached it and go a certificate for it. We went on tour to South Africa.

He was a back on the wing and found it boring. He played RL for his Uni team as a no 9 (having shot up in size and build post 16) and loved it.

There is an obvious technique to scrums, rucks and mauls in RU but it’s not rocket science. Line outs are a farce now they allow lifting but this is where the RU mythology lies. In the forwards.

Owen Farrell, if he signs, might not be an absolute flop. He’s too much of an athlete just to be a farce of a player but Wigan would still have to chuck a lot of money at him to get him here and despite the fact he would not count on the cap I’d have checked the money at Smithies instead.
Unfortunately for RU this is the main problem of the game going forward imo.

Scrums are so difficult to interpret and police that I get the feeling that even the refs don't know who to penalise. This is the reason England lost in the semi-finals. Even the "experts" analysing the game came to different conclusions. How can you have a game that relies on such subjectivity?

Of course this doesn't affect Farrell in the position that he plays and would not be an issue.

He won't come though. The amount of £££ he can earn in Union, and it's post playing opportunities is staggering compared to League.
buttmonkey2

Post by buttmonkey2 »

Didn't play in today's match against Newcastle Falcons...........
Back by demand.