Ancient & Loyal

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
cherry toffee

Re: Ancient & Loyal

Post by cherry toffee »

Of course blind loyalty would never bring success I was just using Liverpool as an example where loyalty did work , like I said in my original post we can all use examples to get our point across. I personally think there are players in wigans squad that shouldn’t have got new contracts but they did.we all have opinions but there are no guarantees for success what works for one team doesn’t mean it’ll work elsewhere
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

interesting some of the feedback around liverpools drop out the top levels recently after their champions league exit
The front three that took them to three Champions League finals in five years is breaking up. Sadio Mane left for Bayern Munich last summer, and Roberto Firmino is leaving at the end of the season. Only Mohamed Salah is left.

Captain Jordan Henderson turns 33 at the end of the season and James Milner, who started at the Bernabeu, is 37.

Former Scotland midfielder Charlie Adam, who played for Liverpool in 2011-12, said on BBC Radio 5 Live: "I think Jurgen Klopp has been a little too loyal to these players, especially when you look at what Pep Guardiola has done with the likes of Joao Cancelo at Manchester City and moving players on to bring others in.
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I am not sure how relevant this is, but Ancient and Loyal is a title given to the Borough of Wigan in large part because we were loyal to the crown during the civil war. It’s not the club’s mission statement, it’s a link to the town.
craigo

Post by craigo »

I am ancient and loyal
I have supported Wigan RL since the late 80s. First game was a cup tie v Barrow. Also a fan of football and Speedway. Have a varied taste in music.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

craigo wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:55 am I am ancient and loyal
So am I. To the town as a whole, the crown and especially my rugby club.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:07 am
Me too 🇬🇧
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:20 am interesting some of the feedback around liverpools drop out the top levels recently after their champions league exit
The front three that took them to three Champions League finals in five years is breaking up. Sadio Mane left for Bayern Munich last summer, and Roberto Firmino is leaving at the end of the season. Only Mohamed Salah is left.

Captain Jordan Henderson turns 33 at the end of the season and James Milner, who started at the Bernabeu, is 37.

Former Scotland midfielder Charlie Adam, who played for Liverpool in 2011-12, said on BBC Radio 5 Live: "I think Jurgen Klopp has been a little too loyal to these players, especially when you look at what Pep Guardiola has done with the likes of Joao Cancelo at Manchester City and moving players on to bring others in.
Football is a lot more secretative and behind closed doors compared to rugby in the sense not many people know and understand what is happening internally.

On the point in bold, what nobody will ever understand is what Klopps stance has been on some of these players. For all anyone knows, he may have been saying for years and years we need to refresh the Midfield etc and been overruled by the transfer committee / owners who have chosen to focus on attacking players.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

nathan_rugby wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 1:35 pm
Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:20 am interesting some of the feedback around liverpools drop out the top levels recently after their champions league exit

Football is a lot more secretative and behind closed doors compared to rugby in the sense not many people know and understand what is happening internally.

On the point in bold, what nobody will ever understand is what Klopps stance has been on some of these players. For all anyone knows, he may have been saying for years and years we need to refresh the Midfield etc and been overruled by the transfer committee / owners who have chosen to focus on attacking players.
I guess whether its Klopp or not is irrelevant maybe matty peet wants rid of a few but if there are voices in the club in power who dont

eitherway the overall point is if you dont move players on at the right times you will suffer, and the teams that dominate and not just win odd titles do this - its something wigan are terrible at
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Hattster

Post by Hattster »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:07 am
Drop the crown bit and I'm with you all the way.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Caboosegg wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 6:34 pm
morley pie eater wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:33 pm And repeated references to the 85-95 era, which was exceptional for a number of reasons, and was 28 to 38 years ago, just may be a factor in many being unhappy whatever IL and KR may do.

If fans' expectations are based on an unrepeatable golden era, leading to a miserable, complaining atmosphere at games and around the town during the week. This could explain why we have an ageing fan base.

Younger folk in Wigan may think "That's not for me". They'll be attracted to come back by the atmosphere at games being one that creates excitement and anticipation. Yes, that needs a winning team to some extent, though crowds went up during Nobby's "great escape" period.

As someone who goes to more away games than home ones, I notice a downbeat feeling when I come to the DW. Even at last year's Derby match, we were out-shouted by Saints fans for most of it. The atmosphere only built in response to the team's efforts - shouldn't it work both ways?

I'm sure there are many other factors involved, but, even if I'm partly right, something needs to change from our side.

Before you slag me off, just pause and consider that I might just be partly right. I'm a Wigan fan through and through, have been for approaching 60 years. I want success for the team.

Everything isn't perfect, but if we want improvement, the fans, management and players all need to pull in the same direction. Do you agree?
100% fan negativity has had an impact on getting new fans, I personally have got a few friends and family into rugby and they chose other teams to support due to the negativity they read on forums/twitter.

The atmosphere at the dw is partially due to the roof, the away stand is metal the home plastic
Totally disagree over negativity stopping fans,disinterest,lack of funds other interests all contribute far more than say a forum very fee know about,most on Facebook or twitter will never go to games,truth is the days of being able to go the football on Saturday and rugby on Sunday are,for most people long since gone,that has far more impact in my opinion.

Trouble is and this is the big one nowadays there's just to much going on in people's limited free time and rugby is out the window it seems to me,one small thing my son mainly through work hasn't been for years but he and his girlfriend went in that awful weather last week,she's from Wolverhampton,not a sports fan at all and by half time she was on the phone to her mum absolutely raving about the game,the blood.the hits was all we could get out of her and yes they're going the Salford game and seriously thinking of season tickets for next season now work is settling down to allow them to come to games,point is the product is good,nothing to do with negativity but its getting people off the couch and into the ground and that's the real.problem.