Morgan Smithies

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Morgan Smithies

Post by josie andrews »

No ban.

Morgan Smithies (Wigan Warriors) – grade B dangerous contact, £250 fine.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
southportcdm

Re: Morgan Smithies

Post by southportcdm »

Pleased about this. I thought he was a bit unlucky to be binned given that he turned his back on the kicker. I know his discipline has been poor in the past but it's improved recently, perhaps the refs still expect him to do something daft. Mikey Lewis had been winding him up and I thought that he should have been binned for another incident when he wound up Bevan and nearly started a brawl.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

southportcdm wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 3:40 pm Pleased about this. I thought he was a bit unlucky to be binned given that he turned his back on the kicker. I know his discipline has been poor in the past but it's improved recently, perhaps the refs still expect him to do something daft. Mikey Lewis had been winding him up and I thought that he should have been binned for another incident when he wound up Bevan and nearly started a brawl.
It takes a lot to wind up Bevan French too!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

The way forward isn’t it,less bans more fines no?

Hit ‘em in the pocket the Mrs will sort em out come pay day.

As for being wound up I thought that side of his game was sorted out and frankly in the past,I wasn’t happy to see his petulant side come out,he’s a better player than that and being wound up by a lad who looked like he was off scrumping apples just makes it worse
Suzieb

Post by Suzieb »

Morgan has been given his chance and did not take it I hope that he improves but personally I don’t think he is good enough he doesn’t deem to learn his lesson he keeps making the same mistakes over and over again and also he is not a ball playing 13 which most other teams have very poor for a team like Wigan
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

Nowhere near a penalty, let alone a ban.

If that's what RL is coming to, I will have to follow a more physical game, like table tennis.
Bobby-WRL

Post by Bobby-WRL »

Suzieb wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:51 pm Morgan has been given his chance and did not take it I hope that he improves but personally I don’t think he is good enough he doesn’t deem to learn his lesson he keeps making the same mistakes over and over again and also he is not a ball playing 13 which most other teams have very poor for a team like Wigan
Are you for real? 13 has become the 3rd prop forward in the last 5 years .
I can’t think of many ball playing 13’s aside from Westerman. Our rivals over the hill have a prop for a 13 and Smithies stats were much better than his last season.
NICKYKISS

Post by NICKYKISS »

Suzieb wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:51 pm Morgan has been given his chance and did not take it I hope that he improves but personally I don’t think he is good enough he doesn’t deem to learn his lesson he keeps making the same mistakes over and over again and also he is not a ball playing 13 which most other teams have very poor for a team like Wigan
We talking discipline here?

If so, I think he’s learned his lessons and some and it’s highlighted by the fact that in Superleague in 2022 he gave away 4 penalties all season and was not sin binned or sent off. Out of the top 20 tacklers and top 20 for marker tackles made (i.e the players putting themselves in the positions to give away the most penalties) in 2022, he gave away the least penalties of any of them, with the only player that came close to him being a man billed as pretty much a real life Saints in James Roby (and even he gave away one more penalty).

It was clumsy the challenge on Saturday, no more and no less. Unfortunately when you are the guy responsible for leading the effort areas in and around the middle, you’ll get the odd thing wrong. When he stops making the odd miss timed challenge I’ll start to worry because it’ll mean he’s gone totally in to his shell.
Suzieb

Post by Suzieb »

I watched Partington play for Salford on Friday night and he played 13 and he passed the ball more times in one match than in his whole Wigan career think about it???????
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Which ones?
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."