Footage emerges of astonishing moment referee 'tackles' Wigan Warriors winger to deny certain try

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Footage emerges of astonishing moment referee 'tackles' Wigan Warriors winger to deny certain try

Post by josie andrews »

Tom Grant was involved in a gaffe during Wigan's win over Castleford Tigers.

This is the comical moment a referee denied Wigan Warriors winger Liam Marshall a stunning length-of-the-field try. The flier was the star of the show as he scored a hat-trick in his side's 36-0 rout of Castleford, taking his tally to eight in three games.

But he was denied another try to his tally after being slowed down by official Tom Grant, who ended up in his way as he burst through a gap. It all happened in the blink of an eye after the Warriors launched a counterattack.

Jai Field had surged to the 20-metre mark for a restart and put Marshall through a gaping hole after he ran an excellent line. He appeared to be racing to the line having accelerated past the Castleford defence, however, one man who did keep up with him was Grant.

As Marshall raced away, Grant weaved back and forth as he attempted to get out of Marshall's way but ended up getting in his path, meaning Marshall eventually collided with the official. That slowed him down and allowed the Castleford defenders to make the cover tackle.

Grant would give a set restart to the Warriors though it came to nothing, leaving the visitors frustrated. Though they ultimately won comfortably, the game was 0-0 at the time of the incident. It prompted the Warriors' official Twitter account to post: "Incredible scenes as the referee gets in the way of Liam Marshall, who looked sure to score with acres of space to run into. He orders another 6 for Wigan as a result."

Thankfully for Grant, Wigan went on to win the game comfortably. But social media still poked fun at him for the gaffe. Michael Lavelle tweeted: "I think Tom Grant was Castleford’s best defender last night going off this try saving tackle." Castleford fan Jack added: "Tom Grant my full back."

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/ru ... dium=email
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Southern Softy

Re: Footage emerges of astonishing moment referee 'tackles' Wigan Warriors winger to deny certain try

Post by Southern Softy »

Another product of SOL's defensive coaching I presume. Think Liam needs to work on his hand-off technique though.
josie andrews

Re: Footage emerges of astonishing moment referee 'tackles' Wigan Warriors winger to deny certain try

Post by josie andrews »

Southern Softy wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:26 am Another product of SOL's defensive coaching I presume. Think Liam needs to work on his hand-off technique though.
What do you mean??
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Mickw

Post by Mickw »

I've been watching rugby 40 odd years and I've never seen anything like that, unbelievable.
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Looks like Liam has been charged with the offence of "making contact with a match official" with a two match penalty.

The RFL disciplinary are really proving they are as stupid as most of us think they are. So how was that deliberate? Liam had to put his hand out to prevent a dangerous collision as the referee was in completely the wrong place by placing himself across the path of a running player. The referee was where he should not have been. It was the referee who was in the wrong, not Liam.

I do hope the club contest this and if necessary appeal.
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

If that is true then it's bonkers.

What is he supposed to do?
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

There is bogus facebook account supposedly from RFL disciplinary claiming he's been charged.
First Try Tickle

Post by First Try Tickle »

I also think what's astonishing is the late hit on Wardle that was missed by all 4 officials.
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

I saw it on twitter but it disappeared. Could well be a bogus post as the whole proposition of Liam being charged is ludicrous beyond belief.

If it is found to be bogus then I apologise for posting it.
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

josie andrews wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:29 am
Southern Softy wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:26 am Another product of SOL's defensive coaching I presume. Think Liam needs to work on his hand-off technique though.
What do you mean??
Just a joke Josie - honest!