Footage emerges of astonishing moment referee 'tackles' Wigan Warriors winger to deny certain try

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Re: Footage emerges of astonishing moment referee 'tackles' Wigan Warriors winger to deny certain try

Post by josie andrews »

Southern Softy wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:54 am
josie andrews wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:29 am
Southern Softy wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:26 am Another product of SOL's defensive coaching I presume. Think Liam needs to work on his hand-off technique though.
What do you mean??
Just a joke Josie - honest!
Oh right sorry 😳
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
widdenoldboy

Re: Footage emerges of astonishing moment referee 'tackles' Wigan Warriors winger to deny certain try

Post by widdenoldboy »

I guess protocol means they will have to look at it and hopefully sense prevails :)
Blackpool_Pie

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

widdenoldboy wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:27 am I guess protocol means they will have to look at it and hopefully sense prevails :)
I'm not too sure how the whole thing works but surely the match official has some sort of say with certain things that get sited? I'm sure he was very embarrassed
TravellingWarrior

Post by TravellingWarrior »

I'm guessing that Marshy is ok and has no case to answer, as surely it would have been mentioned in this?
Elsewhere in Super League
Wakefield utility Jordan Crowther has been fined £250 for Grade B dangerous contact following their 8-0 loss to Huddersfield. Teammate Sam Eseh was cautioned for dangerous contact but has not been cited.

Prop Liam Watts was charged with Grade A dangerous contact in Castleford's 36-0 home defeat by Wigan.
taken from: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/64862814
The world is a book and those who don't travel read only one page.
TravellingWarrior

Post by TravellingWarrior »

Just checked and for once the MRP see sense!! :D :D :D
Case Number: ON/134/23
Name: Liam Marshall
Club and Shirt Number: Wigan Warriors, 5
Match: Castleford Tigers v Wigan Warriors
Competition and Date: Betfred Super League, 3rd March 2023
Report Received From: MRP
Time: 34 41
Details of Allegation: Contact with Referee
Decision: NFA
Details of Charge /
Reason for NFA:
Player has broken the line. The referee comes into his path. Player puts arm out to
minimise contact.
Penalty Notice: N/A
taken from: https://www.rugby-league.com/uploads/do ... 023[6].pdf
The world is a book and those who don't travel read only one page.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

The fake facebook post had him in line for a ban due to the contact but there has been a case of "Reckless and deliberate physical contact with the referee" by Geoge Flanagan of Bradford and he just got a £125 fine.

https://www.rugby-league.com/governance ... case=16762
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

TBH I'm surprised that he didn't pick up an 8 match ban or something crazy. I think last season he would have had some sort of ban, but this year there's been a sanity based u-turn in the disciplinary. Its probably a good thing, but are the we only sport where interpretations change so much from year to year? At least the refs haven't had their annual brain explosion in the early rounds this season. Good to see a green card used at Cas too.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Mike wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 4:50 pm TBH I'm surprised that he didn't pick up an 8 match ban or something crazy. I think last season he would have had some sort of ban, but this year there's been a sanity based u-turn in the disciplinary. Its probably a good thing, but are the we only sport where interpretations change so much from year to year? At least the refs haven't had their annual brain explosion in the early rounds this season. Good to see a green card used at Cas too.
There has been an improvement in certain areas, I am not certain that contact with the head only warrants a fine especially when players are now suing the RFL over head injuries. Perhaps the fines are going to be used to pay damages, assuming the court rules in the favour of past players.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Do you think the RFL are squirreling that money away to pay for possible future fines, rather than... :)