Tonights Game v Catalans Dragons

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
EagleEyePie

Re: Tonights Game v Catalans Dragons

Post by EagleEyePie »

Mike wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 5:32 am
Charriots Offiah wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 2:15 am Player Statistics

Singleton - 19 tackles; 3 missed tackles; 6 carries; 32 metres
Powell - 43 tackles; 2 missed tackles; 5 carries; 27 metres
Isa - 13 tackles; 0 missed tackles; 4 carries; 24 metres
Farrell - 37 tackles; 5 missed tackles; 13 carries; 70 metres
Smithies - 62 tackles; 1 missed tackle; 10 carries; 66 metres
Cooper - 17 tackles; 2 missed tackles; 9 carries; 67 metres
Ellis - 13 tackles; 2 missed tackles; 7 carries; 39 metres
Havard - 38 tackles; 2 missed tackles; 15 carries; 87 metres
KPP - 21 tackles; 0 missed tackles; 7 carries; 31 metres
Mago - 13 tackles; 1 missed tackle; 8 carries; 65 metres
Equals 504 metres (might not be quite right but I did the maths on a different computer that I'm not on now). Catalans pack slightly less. Micky Mac - zero metres BTw. (Their best forward got 140 and they had to sacrifice one forward to the centers so he didn't really figure in metres).

If these figures are supposed to be damning then surely the opposition should have got at least 50% higher metres, or maybe 100%? Let's define what being "dominated" means in terms of metres gained shall we?
I don't think our issue is being dominated in the forwards, it's not being able to be dominant with any sort of consistency. I thought it terms of our defence when Catalans were in their own half we were quite impressive at times. Catalans do have a good pack of forwards and we had spells where we contained them well.

I think the issue with our forwards, or mainly the props, is we don't have enough consistency in good performances. The only prop we have who posts consistently high metres is Havard who averages 94 metres per game. That's actually very good and he's consistent, but he's not really backed up by anybody else this year in the front row.

Among our props we have players who can have good games but they tend to be every so often. At the moment we've got Singleton, Cooper, Ellis and Mago sat comfortably in the average category. One might have a good game but follow it up with a quiet game. Compare it with other clubs and they tend to have several forwards who seem to play at or above that level.

As a comparison between Singleton, Cooper, Ellis, Mago, Byrne, Isa, KPP and some players at other clubs.
Wigan have 3 forwards averaging more metres per game than those above this year:

Saints have 9
Huddersfield 7
Hull KR 6
Leigh 6
Leeds 6
Castleford 6
Wire 5
Hull FC 5
Salford 5
Wakefield 3

As for Catalans, every single forward that has played for them this year averages more metres per game than those 7 Wigan forwards.

Cooper was capable of making over 100m per game on a regular basis but this year he hasn't managed it once and is averaging 62 metres per game. He's made 247 metres in his 4 games this season. Paul Vaughan at Wire made more than that in his first game!

Now in some cases the differences here are marginal and small sample sizes are easily skewed, but I think it shows that there are a hell of a lot of players in Super League making similar metres per game or more. If you want to be a top team you're going to need consistent stand out performers, not lots of average performers.

If we've only got Havard playing consistently well and the rest might occasionally put in a good performance but will most of the time be average we're not going to cause teams enough problems.
Suzieb

Re: Tonights Game v Catalans Dragons

Post by Suzieb »

I feel that we need to get Joe Shorrocks back from Leigh and play him at loose forward and try smithies and Ida at right second row Smithies may do better wider out and we do know that he can tackle