Tonight's Match

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Suzieb

Re: Squad for Giants

Post by Suzieb »

I would play Isa right centre smithies right second row and kade Ellis LF
PoppaG

Post by PoppaG »

I think part of the problem is that we need someone who can defend at right centre, but also provide some service to French.
King can give some service (But doesnt seem to be gelling as well as expected), but has defensive deficiencies.
Putting someone like Isa/KPP in there shores up defence (Which is needed), but further reduces our attacking threat down that side, essentially nullifying one of our main attacking options.

No good answers spring to mind other than wait for Thornley to come back and hope he's decent and can stay fit..... :lol:
Blackpool_Pie

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

Suzieb wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:27 am I would play Isa right centre smithies right second row and kade Ellis LF
We definitely need to give King a bit of time. No good binning him off after just a few games
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

I think it all depends on whether Huddersfield are allowed to be a bit more 'off the cuff' by Watson.
In the Cup Final, they attacked non-stop down our right flank for the first 20/30 minutes but just when they had created an opening, they switched back inside due to some pre-set plan. Our central goal-line defence kept them out, mostly. That and Lolohea's dreadful kicking cost them the match.
If I was them, I'd attack down our right flank because it looks even more open than last season.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Suzieb wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 7:53 am For those that don’t know it is easier to pass a rugby ball from right to left that is why most teams atack the left side so it is important to have your best defenders on your right side a good coach should know this but let’s see which way Huddersfield attack tonight??????
For those that don't know players also have preferred sides for defending so it isn't as simple as just putting your best defenders on a given side as when defending in a sliding defence its important your dominant tackling should is defending the outside.

For those that don't know moving your best defenders to the right could then impact your attacking ability on the left...

Rugby isn't black and white, we aren't in the 70s anymore.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Its also very easy to blame centres for tries as most tries are scored out wide with overlaps….. not saying king hasnt been at fault but it’s definitely one of the hardest defensive positions imo
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

EDINBURGH-WARRIOR wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:10 am
Suzieb wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 7:53 am For those that don’t know it is easier to pass a rugby ball from right to left that is why most teams atack the left side so it is important to have your best defenders on your right side a good coach should know this but let’s see which way Huddersfield attack tonight??????
Surley that depends I'd you are left or right handed

EW
Of course it does. If you're left handed it's easier to pass left to right and if you're right handed it's easier to pass right to left.
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

Firestarter wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 1:48 pm Its also very easy to blame centres for tries as most tries are scored out wide with overlaps….. not saying king hasnt been at fault but it’s definitely one of the hardest defensive positions imo
King v Wardle?

https://www.superleague.co.uk/player/355/toby-king

https://www.superleague.co.uk/player/823/jake-wardle

Not much in them, it looks as thought King is doing more work carrying the ball up though. Maybe worth revisiting in a couple of months?
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

:ugeek:
No straw damn us wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 3:54 pm
Firestarter wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 1:48 pm Its also very easy to blame centres for tries as most tries are scored out wide with overlaps….. not saying king hasnt been at fault but it’s definitely one of the hardest defensive positions imo
King v Wardle?

https://www.superleague.co.uk/player/355/toby-king

https://www.superleague.co.uk/player/823/jake-wardle

Not much in them, it looks as thought King is doing more work carrying the ball up though. Maybe worth revisiting in a couple of months?
Both very different centres but i do prefer wardle…… king needs time and can only improve on his defensive positioning
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Suzieb wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:27 am I would play Isa right centre smithies right second row and kade Ellis LF
Not many points on that side for us.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐