Joe Shorrocks back with Wigan Warriors following Leigh Leopards loan spell

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Brennox7

Re: Joe Shorrocks back with Wigan Warriors following Leigh Leopards loan spell

Post by Brennox7 »

Yeah I agree pal, although contracts mean nothing these days. It’s strange how the game has evolved. Back in the day players would sit a season on the bench as long as they were part of a Wigan team.

Seems Wigan has lost that pull power of getting the right player in and retaining those that we already have. I understand the NRL is a stronger comp but seems players are happy to leave the Wigan brand rather than forcing their way in. (I do understand it’s partly about making money for their future)
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Brennox7 wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 5:24 pm Yeah I agree pal, although contracts mean nothing these days. It’s strange how the game has evolved. Back in the day players would sit a season on the bench as long as they were part of a Wigan team.

Seems Wigan has lost that pull power of getting the right player in and retaining those that we already have. I understand the NRL is a stronger comp but seems players are happy to leave the Wigan brand rather than forcing their way in. (I do understand it’s partly about making money for their future)
Hard to disagree with you
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Brennox7 wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 5:24 pm Yeah I agree pal, although contracts mean nothing these days. It’s strange how the game has evolved. Back in the day players would sit a season on the bench as long as they were part of a Wigan team.

Partly? Entirely more like. The only thing we can do is grow the finances of SL until they are on a par with NRL. Maybe that's not realistic, but we can aspire to it and make decisions designed to get closer to it. It wasn't too long ago when the financial clout was on this side of the world, but that's the difference between the reach of a national and a regional game.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Brennox7

Post by Brennox7 »

Yeah that’s true. We do still lose a fair few players to other SL clubs. Tomkins brothers Davies, Jack Hughes, Burgess, Hardaker to name a few. I understand each transfer will have its own reasons but seems players aren’t too fussed about leaving Wigan now.

Suppose recent success goes hand in hand and we haven’t been consistently winning trophies since pre 2018
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Brennox7 wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 7:01 pm Yeah that’s true. We do still lose a fair few players to other SL clubs. Tomkins brothers Davies, Jack Hughes, Burgess, Hardaker to name a few. I understand each transfer will have its own reasons but seems players aren’t too fussed about leaving Wigan now.

Suppose recent success goes hand in hand and we haven’t been consistently winning trophies since pre 2018
Tomkins brothers - one was got rid of for vulgar action, the other left for life style. Davies - out of contract wanted more game time.
Jack Hughes - came on but the same comments we see about shorrocks where said about Hughes
Burgess he came back and honour his contract
Hardaker was a ticking bomb and glad he's gone.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Joe Shorrocks was outstanding tonight.
Got a mention by Rowley in the after match chat saying he provided a link between the middles and edges. Rowley thought Joe was another asset to the Wigan team.
Always had a good skill set hopefully Peet (Lockers) can get the best out of him.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

I like Joe. He's not a great player, and certainly not fit to lace the drinks of the great 13s who've graced a Wigan shirt, but he certainly has something to offer in his preferred position. I said when he was in the Academy that I thought he would have more of a Wigan career than his unrelated namesake (who was in the first team squad at the time), and so it has proved.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Caboosegg wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 8:02 pm
Brennox7 wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 7:01 pm Yeah that’s true. We do still lose a fair few players to other SL clubs. Tomkins brothers Davies, Jack Hughes, Burgess, Hardaker to name a few. I understand each transfer will have its own reasons but seems players aren’t too fussed about leaving Wigan now.

Tomkins brothers - one was got rid of for vulgar action, the other left for life style. Davies - out of contract wanted more game time.
Jack Hughes - came on but the same comments we see about shorrocks where said about Hughes
Sam Tomkins was going nowhere until Wigan decided not to honour his marquee contract which opened up the opportunity for a move and he took it. Not sure why Jack Hughes was mentioned in the first place. He was a decent player but we had other options at the time.

Why they decided to leave is just not relevant. It’s how the club responds to it that’s important and forward planning as someone les mentioned has been lacking. The Bateman fiasco where the club danced to his tune was ridiculous and as to Hardaker, it was the club that recruited that ticking time bomb in the first place. What was your reaction when he signed? Supportive of the club doing so?
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

DaveO wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 12:09 am

Sam Tomkins was going nowhere until Wigan decided not to honour his marquee contract which opened up the opportunity for a move and he took it. Not sure why Jack Hughes was mentioned in the first place. He was a decent player but we had other options at the time.

Why they decided to leave is just not relevant. It’s how the club responds to it that’s important and forward planning as someone les mentioned has been lacking. The Bateman fiasco where the club danced to his tune was ridiculous and as to Hardaker, it was the club that recruited that ticking time bomb in the first place. What was your reaction when he signed? Supportive of the club doing so?
We did honour Tomkins Contract, the issue was at the end with the extension clause instead of a year at marque we offered him a long term contract on one of the highest salaries paid by the club (if you believe the club and Tomkins).

With Hardaker I said (on here as well) multiple times that I didn't want him at Wigan. You mistake disagreeing with the constant Wigan can do no right people for blind club support.

Point kind of proved by the initial Hughes comment, you admit it wasn't really anything to Jim going but someone else's uses him to try and prove club incompetence.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Brennox7

Post by Brennox7 »

I understand what you’re saying. Just a shame to watch how they all went on to become better players after leaving