Team for Saints

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Brennox7

Team for Saints

Post by Brennox7 »

Just wondering what people’s thoughts were regarding the big one next week? Been looking at full squad to get an imagine of how we can start…

French
Miski
King
Wardle
Thornley?

Powell
Smith

Harvard
ONeill
Cooper
KPP
Farrell
Smithies

Mago (Just for impact)
Shorrocks (Switch with O’Neill)
Byrne
Isa

Bit random having Thornley in but atm I’d rather have players familiar with positions than switching it all up and giving young lads a taste this early in a big game.

Cheers
Bill
Mike
Site Admin

Re: Team for Saints

Post by Mike »

I'd go

French
Miski
Wardle
KPP
King

Powell / Astley
Smith

Harvard
ONeill / Powell
Byrne
Isa
Farrell
Smithies

Ellis
Cooper
2 of Shorrocks / ONeill / Singlton

If Astley plays, then it Powell at hooer to start with ONeill and Singleton on the bench, if Powell is in the halves, then its ONeill hooker with Shorrocks and Singleton on the bench.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
archiekeith

Post by archiekeith »

What if it's. None of those? : :lol:
John512

Post by John512 »

If Wardle's picks up a ban we're in a bad spot. No Field, Cust, or Marshall. Matty Peet's already said given the intensity of the game he'd look for rotation of fit players, instead of the introduction of fresh faces. From briefly watching Barrows game last week, Thornley didn't look 100% fit. And if Wardle picks up a ban, we'd line up like this:

French
King
KPP
Isa
Miski
Smith
Powell

Havard
O'Neill
Byrne
Farrell
Smithies
Shorrocks
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Assuming no one returns from injury and wardle is banned (realistic)

Id go with this

1. French
2. King
3. KPP
4. Isa
5. Miski
6. Smith
7. Powell
8. Havard
9. O'Neill
10. Byrne
11. Farrell
12. Smithies
13. Shorrocks

Subs: Ellis/Singleton/Cooper/Nsemba

I dont think it would be fair to Astley to throw him in against saints when the team is so depleted in the backline. Powell can at least defend well and we know he can do 80mins no issue
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Why would anyone want powell at seven…… even mentioning shorrocks us silly…… give the lad astley a go…… we have this thing that bleeding an entire team at once is best…… imo i would bleed the odd player in individually and see who works best……. Can this forber bloke play at seven? Genuine question as ive never seen him play yet
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

Firestarter wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 4:21 pm Why would anyone want powell at seven…… even mentioning shorrocks us silly…… give the lad astley a go…… we have this thing that bleeding an entire team at once is best…… imo i would bleed the odd player in individually and see who works best……. Can this forber bloke play at seven? Genuine question as ive never seen him play yet
Good shout for Forber at half, I did think he would transition to half as he is a bit on the small size for a modern hooker and he can play well there. I think we need a running threat at stand off v Saints.
craigo

Post by craigo »

Some of you would make very bold Coaches. That is me being nice. Will not say what I really think. Apart from, Play said players v St Helens ?. Really ?.
Wigan Forever 85 has it right. Clearly understands.
I have supported Wigan RL since the late 80s. First game was a cup tie v Barrow. Also a fan of football and Speedway. Have a varied taste in music.
Bobby-WRL

Post by Bobby-WRL »

Looking about it doesn’t look certain marshy is out . Where has Peet said this?
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

I think Marsy will be back, so that makes covering for Wardle out easy. Just have KPP or Isa in the centres. The problem is in the halves. I'd go with Powell on balance and try to grind something out.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐