Memorable Derby games

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Memorable Derby games

Post by josie andrews »

Ahead of the Good Friday derby this week, let’s take a look back at some of the more memorable clashes from the biggest match in Rugby League.

St Helens 10-18 Wigan Warriors, Super League XV Round 9, 2010

In the last ever Derby at the home of St Helens Knowsley Road, Wigan would crash the party by running out 10-18 winners in front of 17,500 people. Tries from Darrell Goulding, Iafeta Palea’aesina and five goals from Pat Richards would secure the victory, holding onto a 0-14 lead at halftime.

St Helens Lineup: Leon Pryce, Ade Gardner, Matthew Gidley, Chris Dean, Francis Meli, Jon Wilkin, Kyle Eastmond, James Graham, Keiron Cunningham, Tony Puletua, Chris Flannery, Paul Clough, Scott Moore. Bench: James Roby, Bryn Hargreaves, Andrew Dixon, Maurie Fa’asavalu

Wigan Warriors Lineup: Amos Roberts, Darrell Goulding, Martin Gleeson, George Carmont, Pat Richards, Sam Tomkins, Thomas Leuluai, Stuart Fielden, Mike McIlorum, Paul Prescott, Phil Bailey, Joel Tomkins, Sean O’Loughlin. Bench: Iafeta Palea’aesina, Paul Deacon, Eamon O’Carroll, Lee Mossop.

Wigan Warriors 22-10 St Helens, Super League XV Grand Final, 2010

Later the same year, Wigan tasted more Derby success, this time on the biggest stage of them all. After a blistering Super League campaign, remaining top of the pile since Round 3, the Warriors would the cherry on the cake with Grand Final success against their fiercest rivals in front of over 71,000 at Old Trafford. Two tries from Martin Gleeson and singles from Darrell Goulding and Sam Tomkins secured the victory as Wigan won their second ever Grand Final.

Wigan Warriors Lineup: Sam Tomkins, Darrell Goulding, Martin Gleeson, George Carmont, Pat Richards, Paul Deacon, Thomas Leuluai, Stuart Fielden, Mike McIlorum, Andy Coley, Harrison Hansen, Joel Tomkins, Sean O’Loughlin. Bench: Paul Prescott, Mark Riddell, Iafeta Palea’aesina, Liam Farrell.

St Helens Lineup: Paul Wellens, Jamie Foster, Matthew Gidley, Francis Meli, Jonny Lomax, Jon Wilkin, Matty Smith, James Graham, Keiron Cunningham, Bryn Hargreaves, Iosia Soliola, Chris Flannery, Tony Puletua. Bench: James Roby, Paul Clough, Andrew Dixon, Jacob Emmitt.

Wigan Warriors 30-10 St Helens, Super League XXVII Round 25, 2022

Our most recent Derby day victory, Wigan went into half time 18-0 up, with two tries Bevan French and singles from Liam Farrell, Liam Marshall and Jai Field securing the win for the Warriors at the DW Stadium in front of 19,210 people.

Wigan Warriors Lineup: Jai Field, Bevan French, Willie Isa, Kai Pearce-Paul, Liam Marshall, Cade Cust, Harry Smith, Brad Singleton, Brad O’Neill, Liam Byrne, Liam Farrell, John Bateman, Morgan Smithies. Bench: Patrick Mago, Kaide Ellis, Mike Cooper, Joe Shorrocks.

St Helens Lineup: Jack Welsby, Josh Simm, Konrad Hurrell, Joe Batchelor, Joe Bennison, Ben Davies, Jonny Lomax, Alex Walmsley, James Roby, Matty Lees, James Bell, Curtis Sironen, Morgan Knowles. Bench: Joey Lussick, Louie McCarthy-Scarsbrook, Agnatius Paasi, Jake Wingfield.

Wigan Warriors 28-24 St Helens, Super League XVI Round 11, 2011

A last gasp try from Liam Farrell secured the win here in an iconic moment in Wigan’s Derby history. Two tries a piece for Josh Charnley and Pat Richards helped the Warriors come from behind to secure a famous victory at the DW.

Wigan Warriors Lineup: Sam Tomkins, Josh Charnley, Joel Tomkins, George Carmont, Pat Richards, Paul Deacon, Thomas Leuluai, Andy Coley, Mike McIlorum, Jeff Lima, Harrison Hansen, Ryan Hoffman, Sean O’Loughlin. Bench: Paul Prescott, Brett Finch, Lee Mossop, Liam Farrell.

St Helens Lineup: Paul Wellens, Ade Gardner, Michael Shenton, Francis Meli, Jamie Foster, Jonny Lomax, Gary Wheeler, James Graham, James Roby, Louie McCarthy-Scarsbrook, Jon Wilkin, Iosia Soliola, Tony Puletua. Bench: Scott Moore, Matty Ashurst, Shaun Magennis, Tommy Makinson.

Wigan Warriors 27-0 St Helens, Challenge Cup Final, 1989

Yet another iconic moment in Wigan’s Derby history, with two tries from Kevin Iro and singles from Andy Gregory, Steve Hampson, Ellery Hanley helped lead Graham Lowe’s side to their second successive Challenge Cup victory by thumping Saints 27-0 in front of 78,000 people at Wembley.

Wigan Lineup: Steve Hampson, Tony Iro, Kevin Iro, Dean Bell, Joe Lydon, Shaun Edwards, Andy Gregory, Ian Lucas, Nicky Kiss, Adrian Shelford, Andy Platt, Ian Potter, Ellery Hanley. Bench: Denis Betts, Andy Goodway.

St Helens Lineup: Gary Connolly, Micheal O’Connor, Phil Veivers, Paul Loughlin, Les Quirk, Shane Cooper, Neil Holding, Tony Burke, Paul Groves, Paul Forber, Bernard Dwyer, Roy Haggerty, Paul Vautin. Bench: Darren Bloor, Stuart Evans.

Wigan Warriors 28-20 St Helens, Super League IV Round 26, 1999

96 years and 364 days after the first game against Batley was played, Wigan played their final ever game at the stadium they had called home for so long – and what a send off it was. Inside a packed Central Park, the Warriors bid farewell to ground with a 28-20 victory in The Derby, with tries from Denis Betts, Gary Connolly, Paul Johnson and two from Jason Robinson leading the home side to victory.

Wigan Lineup: Kris Radlinski, Jason Robinson, Gary Connolly, Paul Johnson, Danny Moore, Chris Chester, Gavin Clinch, Neil Cowie, Mark Smith, Terry O’Connor, Denis Betts, Mick Cassidy, Andy Farrell. Bench: Lee Gilmour, Simon Haughton, Tony Mestrov, Brett Goldspink.

St Helens Lineup: Anthony Stewart, Chris Smith, Kevin Iro, Paul Newlove, Anthony Sullivan, Paul Sculthorpe, Tommy Martyn, Apollo Perelini, Keiron Cunningham, Julian O’Neill, Sonny Nickle, Des Clark, Christ Joynt. Bench: Fereti Tuilagi, Steve Hall, Gareth Price, Vila Mata’utia.

Don’t miss the biggest game in Rugby League! Buy online by clicking HERE or call the DW Stadium Ticket Office on 01942 311111 (9am-5pm Mon-Fri).

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2023/04/ ... rby-games/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
morley pie eater

Re: Memorable Derby games

Post by morley pie eater »

27 beawt has to be the top game.

I remember a tough one at CP in the 60s that we won 7-2 (I think). Massive crowd, great atmosphere, and a super win. Not sure if it was league or cup.

*I found it!
27th Feb 1965, 2nd round cup match.
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

morley pie eater wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 12:25 pm 27 beawt has to be the top game.

I remember a tough one at CP in the 60s that we won 7-2 (I think). Massive crowd, great atmosphere, and a super win. Not sure if it was league or cup.

*I found it!
I agree morley and i remember the wigan( i mean saints) walk…… most were gone with 20 left on the clock and also remember the ducky odonnell hand of god cup replay when the saints fans were pilling out at half time…… but its only our fans that do that , apparently
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
morley pie eater

Firestarter wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 9:24 pm
morley pie eater wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 12:25 pm 27 beawt has to be the top game.

*I found it!
I agree morley and i remember the wigan( i mean saints) walk…… most were gone with 20 left on the clock and also remember the ducky odonnell hand of god cup replay when the saints fans were pilling out at half time…… but its only our fans that do that , apparently
I'd forgotten about O'Donnell - was there with my lads. One of their favourite Derbies was at Knowsley Road: "super Kel" !!!
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
Stanfax

Post by Stanfax »

Talking of "tough ones", the last Lancashire Cup final at Knowsley Road in the early 90s would take some beating. Wasn't it something like 5-4 to us in the end?
Blackpool_Pie

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

Good Friday 2003

Wigan Warriors: Shaun Briscoe, Jon Whittle, Martin Aspinwall, Paul Johnson, Brian Carney, Sean O Loughlin, Adrian Lam, Terry O Connor, Terry Newton, Craig Smith, Rickey Bibey, Danny Tickle, Mark Smith

Danny Sculthorpe, David Allen, Kevin Brown, Mark Roberts

Players missing: Radlinski, Dallas, Hodgson, Ainscough, Cassidy, Pongia, Farrell, Hock, O'Neil, Robinson, Wild

St Helens: Wellens, Albert, Gleeson, D Smith, Gardner, P Sculthorpe, Long, Britt, Higham, Ward, Joynt, Stankevitch, Cooper. Substitutes: Jonkers, Edmondson, Stewart, Jones

Wigan 24 Saints 22

One of the gutsiest games I've ever seen from the most youthful of sides I think we've ever put out against Saints.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Stanfax wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 1:11 am Talking of "tough ones", the last Lancashire Cup final at Knowsley Road in the early 90s would take some beating. Wasn't it something like 5-4 to us in the end?
Was that when mckraken hit bell and he got up and pointed at the scoreboard?
morley pie eater

Blackpool_Pie wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 2:48 am Good Friday 2003

Wigan Warriors: Shaun Briscoe, Jon Whittle, Martin Aspinwall, Paul Johnson, Brian Carney, Sean O Loughlin, Adrian Lam, Terry O Connor, Terry Newton, Craig Smith, Rickey Bibey, Danny Tickle, Mark Smith

Danny Sculthorpe, David Allen, Kevin Brown, Mark Roberts

Players missing: Radlinski, Dallas, Hodgson, Ainscough, Cassidy, Pongia, Farrell, Hock, O'Neil, Robinson, Wild

St Helens: Wellens, Albert, Gleeson, D Smith, Gardner, P Sculthorpe, Long, Britt, Higham, Ward, Joynt, Stankevitch, Cooper. Substitutes: Jonkers, Edmondson, Stewart, Jones

Wigan 24 Saints 22

One of the gutsiest games I've ever seen from the most youthful of sides I think we've ever put out against Saints.
O'Connor, Newton and Craig Smith - what a front row!
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
Stanfax

Post by Stanfax »

Firestarter wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 8:00 am
Stanfax wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 1:11 am Talking of "tough ones", the last Lancashire Cup final at Knowsley Road in the early 90s would take some beating. Wasn't it something like 5-4 to us in the end?
Not sure but sounds about right! Didn’t like each other those two did they?
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Stanfax wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 1:57 pm
Firestarter wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 8:00 am
Not sure but sounds about right! Didn’t like each other those two did they?
nope not one bit