Disciplinary

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Disciplinary

Post by josie andrews »

Following the latest round of Betfred Super League fixtures, the Match Review Panel have issued the following sanctions:

Charges

John Asiata - Leigh Leopards - Strikes - A - Not applicable
James Batchelor - Hull KR - Dangerous Contact - C - 1 Match Penalty Notice
Gill Dudson - Warrington Wolves - Punching - E - Refer to Tribunal
Kane Evans - Hull FC - Dangerous Contact - B - 1 Match Penalty Notice
Zak Hardaker - Leigh Leopards - Trips - B - £250 Fine
Rhys Kennedy - Hull KR - Dangerous Contact - A - Not applicable
Rhys Kennedy - Hull KR - Dangerous Contact - A - Not applicable
Morgan Knowles - St Helens - Dangerous Contact - D - Refer to Tribunal
Sione Matautia - St Helens - Dangerous Contact - A - £250 Fine
Robbie Mulhern - Leigh Leopards - Dangerous Contact - B - £250 Fine
Joe Philbin - Warrington Wolves - Dangerous Contact - D - 2 Match Penalty Notice and £250 Fine
Ava Seumanufagai - Leigh Leopards - Dangerous Contact - B - 1 Match Penalty Notice
Morgan Smithies - Wigan Warriors - Dangerous Contact - B - 1 Match Penalty Notice
Sauaso Sue - Hull KR - Dangerous Throw - C - 2 Match Penalty Notice
Mitieli Vulikjapani - Hull FC - Dangerous Throw - C - 1 Match Penalty Notice
Joe Westerman - Castleford Tigers - Trips - B - 1 Match Penalty Notice
Joe Westerman - Castleford Tigers - Dangerous Contact - A - £250 Fine

Cautions

Matty Costello - Salford Red Devils - Other Contrary Behaviour - N/A - N/A
Tyler Dupree - Salford Red Devils - Other Contrary Behaviour - N/A - N/A
Bevan French - Wigan Warriors - Other Contrary Behaviour - N/A - N/A

https://www.rugby-league.com/article/61 ... view-panel
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: Disciplinary

Post by josie andrews »

Why St Helens star Morgan Knowles faces a tribunal instead of an instant ban for Grade D charge on tackle on Mike Cooper

IT has been one of the busiest mornings and afternoons for the Disciplinary Match Review Panel for a number of weeks with 15 players being charged!

Though 15 were charged, 12 were banned and two of those will be heading to an Operational Rules Tribunal to be given their sentencing.

One of those is Warrington Wolves forward Gil Dudson who has been slapped with a Grade E Punching charge following a punch on Catalans Dragons winger Tom Johnstone at the weekend

That could yield a four to six match ban for Dudson, whilst St Helens star Morgan Knowles has been handed a Grade D Dangerous Contact charge.

Whilst Warrington man Joe Philbin has also been charged with a Grade D Dangerous Contact charge, Philbin has been banned for two games and given a £250 fine.

However, Knowles has too been charged with the same offence but will go before an ORT which could see him being handed a two to three match ban.

The minutes state: “Law 15.1 (i) Dangerous Contact – Defender uses any part of their body forcefully to twist, bend or otherwise apply pressure to the limb or limbs of an opposing player in a way that involves an unacceptable risk of injury to that player. Grade D.”

That being said, Knowles has had his Penalty Notice removed according to the minutes.

After contacting the RFL, League Express can reveal that this is because the Match Review Panel can refer to tribunal in certain cases, for example, when a player suffers a serious, long term injury – with Wigan Warriors star Mike Cooper set for a spell on the sidelines as a result of Knowles’ tackle.

https://www.totalrl.com/why-st-helens-s ... ke-cooper/
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

Smithies 1 game ban for nothing. I've watched the game twice, and never saw anything but someone else has posted the time of the tackle that he has been banned for and still didnt see it or see anything wrong with it

re Knowles tackle, to be honest i've watched it a few times and didnt see anything wrong with it. having re-run it you do see him leave the ground, but i actually thought that was more to do with how Cooper had taken the ball in and driven through him. However, appears there is a lot of focus on the defender leaving the ground, and looks like he may be getting a good couple of games for it
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Curtis Sironen - dangerous throw on Smithies.

Charge Detail:
Opponent is not lifted into a dangerous position.
I just do not understand these people who are on this committee🤔 what do they look at?

Smithies feet/legs, IMO anyway, went above the horizontal so should have some sort of punishment.
Ipinwigan

Post by Ipinwigan »

I have watched the Cooper / Knowles tackle and can't see anything wrong, just unlucky.
Cooper didn't act like he thought anything dangerous had happened.
The way the disciplinary committee and the game is going, in five years there will be no contact allowed and they will be playing with tags on
pedro

Post by pedro »

josie andrews wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 5:46 pm
Curtis Sironen - dangerous throw on Smithies.

Charge Detail:
Opponent is not lifted into a dangerous position.
I just do not understand these people who are on this committee🤔 what do they look at?

Smithies feet/legs, IMO anyway, went above the horizontal so should have some sort of punishment.
that was the worst thing in the match for me
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

Fair piece by Sky Sports tonight on the incidents from GF.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Stevo has piped up and said any player putting another player out for the season should have a minimum 10 match ban.

Lots of reaction on Facebook saying it’s a bad idea but automatic bans are not new. I can remember when the RFL brought in an automatic 8 match ban for high tackles and Joe Lydon copped one for a tackle John Monie thought was a belter!

We already have a form of automatic ban anyway because each category C, D etc carry a minimum length of ban. He’s just suggesting that in effect we need a category which carries a 10 match ban.
Blackpool_Pie

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

DaveO wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 11:20 pm Stevo has piped up and said any player putting another player out for the season should have a minimum 10 match ban.

Lots of reaction on Facebook saying it’s a bad idea but automatic bans are not new. I can remember when the RFL brought in an automatic 8 match ban for high tackles and Joe Lydon copped one for a tackle John Monie thought was a belter!

We already have a form of automatic ban anyway because each category C, D etc carry a minimum length of ban. He’s just suggesting that in effect we need a category which carries a 10 match ban.
I think if deemed foul play and that then takes a player out for a season then yes, 10 games should be minimum. However sometimes foul play is unintentional. If a wigan player gets taken out from a kick in the air, land badly and are out for a period of time, but its more innocuous and more a 50/50 then how can you ban someone? I've always thought union tend to react too much to outcomes rather than what's actually happened at times and I don't want to see league going down the same route
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Why did Carney keep saying Morgan Smithies was serving the first of a two game ban when he was only charged with one?