Mago

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Blackpool_Pie

Mago

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

With Coopers injury and Smithies suspended, he must be in with a shout of some game time at Wire. He absolutely must be ready to do some proper minutes, get through some work and cut out silly errors. All too often does he play a very short amount of time and come up with penalties or dropped balls then get hauled off. Must be getting close to his last chance
Charriots Offiah

Re: Mago

Post by Charriots Offiah »

You have more faith than I do. I would like to be proven wrong though.
Brennox7

Post by Brennox7 »

If he doesn’t get at least a bench spot tonight you’d think his time with the club will come to end any day now. Especially with him taking a quota spot
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

With the injuries and suspensions which will probably continue in some form or other throughout the season then perhaps Mago should figure somewhere in the squad 17.
We haven't seen him since the Hudds game and there maybe many reasons why.

MP seems to be getting his team selection spot on and although I'd like to see Mago given another chance it will depend on many things of which we are not privy to. MP has earned the right to be trusted on his squad and match day selection.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

With Mago we may not know till he leaves what is the issue - Wigan or him

Wigan do have a track record of buying players that are ery good at what they do then asking them to do something different and being confused at why it doesnt work out

Examples

Moran, Feka, FPN
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Suzieb

Post by Suzieb »

Yes but getting fit is what all professional sportspeople should do
Suzieb

Post by Suzieb »

My son used to be a professional and he was a prop and he used to stay on for at least 60 minutes this 20 minutes is a load of rubbish
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Different builds yield different uses

Feka was a great example when he came over you'd get 10-15mins max a stint - during that stint he would be devastating and destroy anything in his path.

They stopped that and made him "fit" as you say and he could play longer but lost his USP, he became an average prop with no real stand out talent.

So you have to decide what you want from your player and buy players that give you that, Feka was a luxury player but potent, no point buying him then trying to make him into Jamie Peacock

Mago seems similar to me a come on burst and wreak a bit of havoc throw a million offloads and generally mix the game up. Hes not a standard drive in for 25mins stint prop. So either play to his strength or get someone different because its rare trying to make square pegs fit round holes works
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Suzieb wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 1:00 pm My son used to be a professional and he was a prop and he used to stay on for at least 60 minutes this 20 minutes is a load of rubbish
Things are not black and white.

Walmsley when in form and not injured is easily the best prop in the league. He never or rarely went 60 minutes.

You also seem to suggest Byrne starting / featuring all of the time, yet he only does 20 minute stints…
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 1:22 pm Different builds yield different uses

Feka was a great example when he came over you'd get 10-15mins max a stint - during that stint he would be devastating and destroy anything in his path.

They stopped that and made him "fit" as you say and he could play longer but lost his USP, he became an average prop with no real stand out talent.

So you have to decide what you want from your player and buy players that give you that, Feka was a luxury player but potent, no point buying him then trying to make him into Jamie Peacock

Mago seems similar to me a come on burst and wreak a bit of havoc throw a million offloads and generally mix the game up. Hes not a standard drive in for 25mins stint prop. So either play to his strength or get someone different because its rare trying to make square pegs fit round holes works
yep, agree with most of that summary

i wasnt Feka's biggest fan, but cant disagree that he was devastating when he 1st came. Where i do disagree slightly is we tried to make him fit, but he went the other way and seemed to put weight on too, so was ineffective as he lost the explosiveness and any fitness he had, that may have been post an injury?

I've commented recently on Mago, and said i felt he was like a poor mans Feka. He can certainly impact and does offer something different to the rest of our props, but i feel he doesnt do enough. It needs to be impact and high quality impact or its basically carrying a player. I've used the CC Semi v Warrington previously as an example of how Wire completely ruled Feka out of that game. he was brought on at the wrong time, Wire were on top and basically ran at him to knacker him out, thus he either didnt take the ball in or was ineffective when he did, and was taken off

i'd probably add i think thats why Paasi from Saints struggled a bit on Friday as he was no-where near as effective as when he comes off the bench.

There is definitely a place for someone with impact in the props, but as you say they need to be played for that reason, and use their strengths. Once the 1st 20 mins of attrition has gone, then look to make an impact in a spell to HT, and then poss 2 stints in the 2nd half, 1 just after as they've had 10 mins to recover, and then another 10 mins late in the game