Ruck speed

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Ruck speed

Post by josie andrews »

Just been reading two reports from Jon Wilkin, the first was also involving Phil Clarke.

He, Wilkin, comments that Wigan Warriors are pushing the rule to the limit!

I feel all teams do this, slow down the ruck & the PTB & don’t always play to the exact rules of the game. Touching the ball with your foot at PTB was supposedly brought in a couple of seasons ago but there are hardly any players do this, if any!

What do others think of these comments from the two pundits?

https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/jon-wilk ... mit-73158/

https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/jon-wilk ... ors-73154/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Wigan_forever1985

Re: Ruck speed

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Wilkin isn’t daft he knows if he keeps saying that refs will listen
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 8:11 pm Wilkin isn’t daft he knows if he keeps saying that refs will listen
I agree.I even remember a wigan/saints game where whingeing wilkin was butchering the referee for giving wigan everything.After that the ref gave saints everything.The way i look at it is if wilkin and co are complaining then Wigan are doing something very very good.Keep up the good work mighty wigan
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Refs are hearing it and they know what Wigan are doing.
Wigan put three men into the tackle. Two around the upper body the third taking the legs. The player who tackles the legs shoots away from the ruck back into the defensive line leaving the two holding the ball carrier until the ref tells them to move.
Often they call the player by name who they want to move away next.

Wigan may play the rules but that is because they put three men into the tackle due to their line speed and overall fitness. They must be one of the fittest squads, if not the fittest, in SL and IMO that's where it has told this past few weeks.
Graham1

Post by Graham1 »

Never made the comment about saints ptbs over the years. How does he think Roby makes all his scoots. Walmsleys never played the ball in his life. There’s not one team in the league plays the ball correctly.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Graham1 wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 9:12 am Never made the comment about saints ptbs over the years. How does he think Roby makes all his scoots. Walmsleys never played the ball in his life. There’s not one team in the league plays the ball correctly.
Thats correct graham.The only difference is certain players just roll the ball between there legs, some even before they stand up.Thats why wrestling and spinning in the tackle has become so big to counter qptbs.For me the only way to put it all right is by foot on ball again
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

Wilkin never stopped whineing during the GF game about the ruck speed. Tell you what Jon, we wont tackle your beloved Saints players, and just let the run up the pitch.

Watching the Wire game back and you can see the constant arms up in the air from the wire players. Clearly, they've been allowed to do what they want for 8 games, so along come Wigan to spoil their party :) :), and sour faced Powell was a picture :) :)
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

the pieman wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 1:14 pm Wilkin never stopped whineing during the GF game about the ruck speed. Tell you what Jon, we wont tackle your beloved Saints players, and just let the run up the pitch.

Watching the Wire game back and you can see the constant arms up in the air from the wire players. Clearly, they've been allowed to do what they want for 8 games, so along come Wigan to spoil their party :) :), and sour faced Powell was a picture :) :)
I kept commenting on that at the game it looked like a dance routine to start off YMCA!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Big Steve

Post by Big Steve »

The ref was constantly shouting ' Surrender' when the wire players went to ground - I've never heard so many calls. Naturally we exploited that as the rules allow/.

It's strange that wilkin makes such a big thing about it when only a few games ago Cats were praised for controlling the ruck against Wigan when they beat us.

The point Clarke was making about Saints was subtly diffeent in that he said Saints were happy to conciously concede 6 again rather than have to try and defend with a broken line. They would rather trust their set defence to be solid rather than concede a more likely try following a quick break as per the Salford SF game last year. That's a much more cynical approach.

pedro

Post by pedro »

saints have done it for years