Ex Wigan lad

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
Charriots Offiah

Chris Ashton: Leicester Tigers' former England international to retire from rugby

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Announced his retirement.
The Premiership's record try-scorer and former England back Chris Ashton is to retire at the end of the season.

The 36-year-old switched codes from rugby league side Wigan in 2007 and has represented his country in both.

He was capped 44 times in union, with 20 tries, and won the Premiership three times and Champions Cup twice.

Ashton joined Leicester from Worcester in 2022, having previously had spells at Sale Sharks, Harlequins, Toulon, Saracens and Northampton Saints.

"This game has opened the world to me, taken me to places I never thought I would have been or experienced, and I am so grateful for that," he told the Tigers' website.

"Playing for Wigan Warriors was my dream growing up, that was all I wanted to do, and I know rugby league would have given me so much too.

"But it is amazing to look back and see what I have been able to do because of both codes and the groups and places I have been a part of in my career.

"I am honoured to have done what I have done, for the clubs I have played for and to represent my country in two codes."

Ashton, who had five-year spells at Northampton and Saracens, has made 25 appearances for defending Premiership champions Leicester since his move to Welford Road.

In April 2022 his hat-trick against Bristol took him to 95 tries and past Tom Varndell as the outright record try-scorer.

"I have just felt, this season, that my body is not able to do what I want it do anymore," he added.

"If I am not able to keep the standards that I expect of myself, then it is the right time for me to retire.

"It is the right time for me. I know that, and I am happy in making this decision at this time."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/65251095

**Edited moderator
archiekeith

Re: Chris Ashton: Leicester Tigers' former England international to retire from rugby

Post by archiekeith »

Who knows if he had stopped in RL he could possibly have been our CEO! No disrespect to Rads but I just considered Chris Ashton a better all round rugby player has his career ,to my mind at least, shows. Thanks Chris Ashton!
Wigan_forever1985

Re: Chris Ashton: Leicester Tigers' former England international to retire from rugby

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

looking back he was probably the first in the new breed of FB - before him Radlinski/Wellens/Withers etc were all quite defence orientated
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Despite (because of?) his try-scoring records, he always seemed to be widely disliked by RU fans to me.
Last edited by moto748 on Mon Apr 24, 2023 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
archiekeith

Post by archiekeith »

moto748 wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 7:09 pm Despite (becuase of?) his try-scoring records, he always seemed to be widely disliked by RU fans to me.
Don't know him personally so I can only comment on his Rugby prowess moto :D
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

archiekeith wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 9:21 am
moto748 wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 7:09 pm Despite (becuase of?) his try-scoring records, he always seemed to be widely disliked by RU fans to me.
Don't know him personally so I can only comment on his Rugby prowess moto :D
He’s a nice lad Chris,

Saw him last year I think it was in the Costa Drive Thru at Robin Park. He recognised me & came & joined me & my friends for a while. He still comes to Wigan RL games when he is in the area.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
pearsy

Ex Wigan lad

Post by pearsy »

100 premiership trys well done Chris Ashton
Charriots Offiah

Re: Ex Wigan lad

Post by Charriots Offiah »

pearsy wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 5:15 pm 100 premiership trys well done Chris Ashton
+1. 100 tries in about 180 games is phenomenal in rugby union.
EDINBURGH-WARRIOR

Post by EDINBURGH-WARRIOR »

I met a couple of Northampton Saints (season ticket holders) fans on holiday in Aruba a few years ago . Told them we were Wigan fans and asked what they thought about Ashton . They never doubted his ability but their opinion of him as a person and team mate was shall we say was less than impressive and went as far as to say the Northampton club would be a better place without him

EW
2002 and EW is hooked