SUPER LEAGUE is set to increase the number of marquee players instead of increasing the salary cap

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

SUPER LEAGUE is set to increase the number of marquee players instead of increasing the salary cap

Post by josie andrews »

SUPER LEAGUE is set to increase the number of marquee players.

That’s according to Sky Sports pundit Jon Wells who revealed that, on May 10th, there is set to be massive amendment to the current marquee player rule.

At present, Super League clubs can only have two marquee players in a bid to stop the best talent leaving for the NRL, allowing clubs to only pay these marquee stars a contract worth £150,000 on the salary cap – or £75,000 if they are club trained.

Now, Wells is purporting that will be increased to three with one at least reserved for a domestic or federation player in “a clear move to retain top English talent without directly increasing salary cap.”

All Super League clubs are required to submit half year and full year returns evidencing all payments made to players.

https://www.totalrl.com/super-league-se ... alary-cap/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: SUPER LEAGUE is set to increase the number of marquee players instead of increasing the salary cap

Post by josie andrews »

What is the point? The salary cap is not fit for purpose anymore!

This is the selection of one player out of a clubs academy when there are only four or five clubs that do nurture its academy.

What if there are several players in a club who deserve to be used as a ‘marquee’ player? How do clubs select just one to be used in this selective domestic or federation trained player, when they have several & there are some young players who take a bit longer to reach an excellent standard than others?

Young players brought through a clubs academy would be better rewarded by not counting on the salary cap at all until they have played a set number of first team games.

But I don’t expect a club to spend the time & effort of developing young players only for a new club to reap the benefits of the ‘marquee’ rule. (George Williams, Matty Nicholson!) spring to mind.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Firestarter

Re: SUPER LEAGUE is set to increase the number of marquee players instead of increasing the salary cap

Post by Firestarter »

If home grown players wernt on the cap then we could definitely advance.I get the feeling the rugby league lot wouldnt do this as it would suite wigan
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
John512

Post by John512 »

It's interesting that IMG mostly ignored the academy in the grading criteria. Maybe new salary cap rulings on home grown players is a way to compensate for that. Big for Wigan, Saints, Leeds, and Catalan (given recent years)
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

5 Marque and 5 academy players off the cap till the age of 25 or double the cap and if Wakey and Cas can't compete then tough titty, It's about time the tail stopped wagging the dog
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

John512 wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 9:54 am It's interesting that IMG mostly ignored the academy in the grading criteria. Maybe new salary cap rulings on home grown players is a way to compensate for that. Big for Wigan, Saints, Leeds, and Catalan (given recent years)
i havent looked in detail, but for me, the club structure / pathway should be included and there should be a at least the below to be considered Grade A in terms of the mens game

Scholarship
Academy whether 16 / 18 / 21 (i think we only have 1 academy grade at the minute with the scholarship too )
Reserves

Looking at the bigger picture and are all growth areas too a club should be running these teams too
Ladies
Disability
Wheelchair
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

medlocke wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 10:23 am 5 Marque and 5 academy players off the cap till the age of 25 or double the cap and if Wakey and Cas can't compete then tough titty, It's about time the tail stopped wagging the dog
At least they do get homegrown players coming through unlike the likes of leigh.Hull are good st bringing players through also
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE