Wigan squad for Hull FC

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Wigan squad for Hull FC

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan squad for Hull FC

21-man squad announced for Thursday’s Round 11 Clash with Hull FC, in association with Greenmount Projects.

Peet makes two changes to the squad ahead of the fixture.

Hull FC v Wigan Warriors, Thursday 4th May, 8pm K.O.

Matt Peet has named his 21-man squad for Thursday’s Betfred Super League Round 11 clash with Hull FC at the MKM Stadium.

The Wigan Head Coach has named his 21-man squad for Thursday’s fixture. Willie Isa misses out through suspension, whilst Kaide Ellis misses out through injury as confirmed by Matt Peet following the victory over Wakefield.

Iain Thornley comes into the 21 after appearing for the Reserves at the weekend, as well as Ryan Hampshire who made his return from a long-term injury in the Reserves victory.

Wigan squad for Hull FC:

1 Bevan French
3 Toby King
4 Jake Wardle
5 Liam Marshall
7 Harry Smith
9 Sam Powell
10 Liam Byrne
12 Liam Farrell
13 Morgan Smithies
16 Ethan Havard
17 Kai Pearce-Paul
19 Joe Shorrocks
20 Patrick Mago
21 Iain Thornley
22 Brad O’Neill
23 Abbas Miski
26 Harvie Hill
27 Junior Nsemba
28 Zach Eckersley
29 Tom Forber
32 Ryan Hampshire

You can still get tickets for Thursday’s game at the MKM Stadium, all the information can be found HERE.

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2023/05/ ... hull-fc-4/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Firestarter

Re: Wigan squad for Hull FC

Post by Firestarter »

First glance it looks a tad more balanced than the team v wakey.Ide be tempted start hampshire at 6 and put shorrocks in the bavk row or on the bench.Looks like either hill or nsemba will get the last bench slot.My team would be
French
Miski
King
Wardle
Hampshire
Smith
Byrne
Powell
Havard
Faz
KPP
Smithies

Subs
Oneill
Hill
Mago
Shorrocks

Heard a rumour marshy was injured but probably wrong
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Firestarter wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 12:19 pm First glance it looks a tad more balanced than the team v wakey.Ide be tempted start hampshire at 6 and put shorrocks in the bavk row or on the bench.Looks like either hill or nsemba will get the last bench slot.My team would be
French
Miski
King
Wardle
Hampshire
Smith
Byrne
Powell
Havard
Faz
KPP
Smithies

Subs
Oneill
Hill
Mago
Shorrocks

Heard a rumour marshy was injured but probably wrong
He did have a cut on his foot I think, it wasn’t healing well.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

After seeing g that about Marshall then I think he may start with Eckersley.
Shorrocks to start at 6 then Hampshire to half back after 30 mins or so.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

I watched the Reserves game yesterday, thought Eckersley was impressive.
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

Shorrocks deserves better than to be benched.
Given our rapidly deceasing number of props - Smithies to act as a new kind of mobile prop in an emergency? - Shorrocks to 13 - Powell to move into the forwards - Faz & KPP in the 2nd row and get O'Neill into hooker. (Cue outrage at playing a player in a different position from the one he's occupied since he was in the cradle but we need to have our best players on the pitch.) Thought Smithies was outstanding for England (I know but you can only play against what's in front of you) and although Smithies is beginning to look like the eventual replacement for SOL again, Shorrock's mobility and defence can't be overlooked.
If we are going to give Hampshire a run-out - Hull seems a good opportunity. Maybe start with Shorrocks for solidity as was posted earlier and then make the switches.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Wiganer Ted wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 1:55 pm After seeing g that about Marshall then I think he may start with Eckersley.
Shorrocks to start at 6 then Hampshire to half back after 30 mins or so.
Me too as well like
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Southern Softy wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 3:24 pm Shorrocks deserves better than to be benched.
Given our rapidly deceasing number of props - Smithies to act as a new kind of mobile prop in an emergency? - Shorrocks to 13 - Powell to move into the forwards - Faz & KPP in the 2nd row and get O'Neill into hooker. (Cue outrage at playing a player in a different position from the one he's occupied since he was in the cradle but we need to have our best players on the pitch.) Thought Smithies was outstanding for England (I know but you can only play against what's in front of you) and although Smithies is beginning to look like the eventual replacement for SOL again, Shorrock's mobility and defence can't be overlooked.
If we are going to give Hampshire a run-out - Hull seems a good opportunity. Maybe start with Shorrocks for solidity as was posted earlier and then make the switches.
Good post SS 😊
Fan4Fifty

Post by Fan4Fifty »

josie andrews wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 5:09 pm
Southern Softy wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 3:24 pm Shorrocks deserves better than to be benched.
Good post SS 😊
Shorrocks seems to have gone from the guy who doesn't have an obvious position, through being a player who was out on loan at Leigh, to the one person who can't be benched/dropped. I have huge respect for what Joe has done and is doing these last few weeks - his commitment to the cause has been outstanding and has helped us to some big wins. But professional sport is a tough environment and, apart from rotation/injury changes, you need to be the best in your position to command a regular starting spot. I'm not sure Joe is the best we have in any given position at the moment and we shouldn't be thinking in terms of shuffling a significant part of the team to accommodate one player. Loose forward seems to be the most likely 'best' position for Joe, but with Smithies developing nicely that's not an easy one as, for me, Smithies needs to be kept in that role.

Don't misinterpret this. I like Joe as a player and he adds immense value to the squad but like others in the past until he can nail down one position where he is the best available, he may have to settle for 'cameo' roles and remain versatile.
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

Smithies was outstanding v France and put in two excellent passes, good to see KPP running straighter and looking dangerous, as did King - small changes to their games from Peet to great effect.
Looking forward to the Hull game, fascinated in what the team will be.