DW

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
medlocke

Re: DW

Post by medlocke »

Caboosegg wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 6:53 pm I don't feel this is the good news we want it to be.

Supporting two loss making operations can't be sustainable can it?

£1.5 Billion, I doubt it would even touch his interest, he'll probably be getting £74 million (pre tax) a year in interest according to https://www.projectfinanciallyfree.com/ ... on-pounds/
EagleEyePie

Post by EagleEyePie »

Caboosegg wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 6:53 pm I don't feel this is the good news we want it to be.

Danson obviously is a smart business man. Will he want to invest in Wigan RL and Athletics or will he look to sell his stake in RL?

Still feel the dw needs scrapping and rebuilding as a smaller and more up to date stadium.
He's worth over a billion. He could probably cover our losses with the change down the back of his sofa. His investment is currently minimal as he allows Ian Lenagan to continue doing what he's been doing since he took over.

I don't see what selling his stake in Wigan RL would even do. It might cover Latics' losses for a season or two but that's it.

Chances are he's not going to be going on a spending spree like Todd Boehly, but massively cut the outgoings at the football club and attempt to make them sustainable. If it means the club spends 5 years in League One then that's probably seen as acceptable in the short term.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I am cautiously optimistic that this will be good news for us. He didn’t have to invest in us at all, and did so when there was no obvious prospect of Latics being for sale.
lucky 13

Post by lucky 13 »

Does the statements not speak volumes of where this is heading?
Danson doesn't call himself owner but backer of a group that's bought Latics.
On all his own stuff he's always co owner of Wigan RL and he has shares in Lenegans holding company which again just made adjustments to it's set up. Be interesting to see who's in this new ownership group or advising them and how long before it umbrellas more teams and sports. I would be very surprised if the EFL have not accepted the stamp of their ex chairman to get this deal signed off so quickly it's normally weeks of due diligence something Lenegan will already have with his football dealings, at the very least he will have been advising though I really believe he will behind a big part of this if not in name. Was the re shuffle at WRL all part of the preparations for what was coming one way or another? I imagine Danson takes full or more ownership of the rugby in time though I think we may see a popular CEO running Latics Shape or Jackson and Rads running the RL part. I think to have any chance of "Sporting Club Wigan" breaking even it needs both clubs doing well with a revamped stadium with naming rights, and concourse sales ploughed back into both clubs(think latics sold their concourse sales last year to make money for wages? We have never had ours. The stadium may get some certified work that makes it viable for other stuff away from sport maybe updated hospitality. With the Robin Park facility at the side I wouldn't be surprised to see another stand go in to make it viable for reserve games for football and somewhere for the women's teams to play, the athletics part could then maybe attract events making the sporting club a real multi sport group.
Whatever very interesting times and for the first time in ages seems some genuine goodwill noises over powering the negatives. Fingers crossed this all works out well.
02/04/2010/
[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff24 ... 10-1-1.jpg[/IMG]

HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Danson obviously is a smart business man. Will he want to invest in Wigan RL and Athletics or will he look to sell his stake in RL?

Still feel the dw needs scrapping and rebuilding as a smaller and more up to date stadium.
I'm with you on this football tends to be the bigger fish as we know and I have a feeling that'll be the case again here,billionaires tend to stay that way by being very savvy not letting heart rule their heads
sheepdip

Post by sheepdip »

Whilst anything is possible I still believe that Danson still has the best interests of the rugby club at heart. If the stories I hear about how the rugby club were treated and the degree of pettiness shown to the Warriors by the previous regime (Brannigan), things can only get bitter. In order to try and stem the hateful vitriol from certain Latics fans re the ground and our tenancy, he would be best to own the ground as a separate entity and charge both clubs rent. Let's face it Whelans folly, built on a swamp has been a millstone round everybody's neck. The need for it produce more revenue ,ie naming rights, other uses, catering and hospitality should be paramount for Danson.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

medlocke wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 8:38 pm

£1.5 Billion, I doubt it would even touch his interest, he'll probably be getting £74 million (pre tax) a year in interest according to https://www.projectfinanciallyfree.com/ ... on-pounds/
Mike Danson knows what he is doing you only need to look at his track record.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

A Latics fan’s opinions of the DW & takeover by Mike Danson.
Mike Danson and Wigan Athletic – A new Whelan era?
by Cockney_Latic | Jun 14, 2023 | News

Dejá vu?
Well, this could really be a case of what’s goes around, comes around. Just over 25 years ago Dave Whelan pulled the Warriors out of the proverbial shit, buying the near bankrupt Rugby League team and giving them a new home, and it looks like Warrior’s owner is looking to do the same for us.

Mr Whelan took over Latics in 1995, saving us from our fate of going out of business, and providing a future which included Wigan Athletic winning the FA Cup, Final of the League Cup, a European Tour, playing in the Charity Shield and spending 8 years in the topflight.

In January 1997 the Latic’s owner came to the call of the Warriors Board with the club’s shareholders approving a deal in which the Central Park stadium would be sold to Wigan Athletic’s owner Dave Whelan and be redeveloped to provide a new home for both the football and rugby teams. Two months later however, the Warriors’ chairman Jack Robinson reneged on the deal, accepting a rival bid from Tesco, pointing out that the supermarket’s offer was three times bigger than Whelan’s.

This meant looking elsewhere for a new stadium for us, and so the ball started rolling with a joint application with Orrell RUFC, which was approved and put in motion.

However, this was not to be last word on it, as Jack Robinson decided he had finally had enough of the town’s rugby team and flirted with the proceeds of the Tesco deal, leaving the Warriors looking for a new place to play.

Building a new one would take a new owner prepared to dig deep, another option was for them to move to Horwich with Bolton Wanderers. But Dave Whelan yet again stepped in and bought the Warriors. With the news that Orrell didn’t want professional Rugby Union, the new Ground was to have the Warriors as lodgers.

This showed true passion from Whelan, as he had been shafted in the past by the old Board, just like they shafted Latics in the 80s. But having put all that behind him, plus the old board and structure gone, a new Rugby Club had been born, albeit with Maurice Lyndsay still at helm.

After the announcement of Maurice Lindsay’s intention to retire in 2007, Whelan managed to persuade him to stay on until the end of the season. After the announcement of Lindsay’s retirement however, Whelan said he would be willing to sell the club after a proposed takeover from a “genuine Wigan fan” earlier in the year.

On 24 October 2007, it was announced that Ian Lenagan had completed his takeover of Wigan Warriors, buying out Whelan’s 89% stake in the club with the deal taking effect from 1 December 2007.

Mike Danson over the past few years, bought into the Warrior’s and looks to take full control in the near future. So will bringing the two Clubs back together work like it did first time round? Well I certainly hope so. Don’t get me wrong, I hated the RL club from the 80s and 90s that wanted to put us under, but even I can see that this club is well and truly in the past, and to be honest, so should our angst.

Like Whelan did 25 years ago, this could be a master stroke that sees both teams thrive with each other, rather than battling over historical grievances. I don’t see a Whelanesque promise of topflight football, far from it. It costs far more now than it did back in 1995, and I don’t see why a new owner would put that investment in, for little or more probably, no return.

What I think we will see is sustainability and hopefully the trust in Shaun Maloney as manager, who has a plan to sustainably keep us in League One in the short term and ultimately over time see progression through the League.

What certainly needs to happen, is for us the fans to get behind the new owner, get behind the manager, get behind the squad. Turn up 30 to 60 minutes earlier and have a drink, a pint, or some food at the ground. Buy something from the club shop, if you are able to. For us to thrive we need to help any way we can.

Mr Danson is a Wiganer and he wants to look after us, but for that to happen, we have to look after ourselves too.

Click here to discuss this issue and many more on the Cockney Latic message board.

Cockney Latic is an independent Wigan Athletic fans site and as such, if you feel you have an article, story or feature you would like to see on the site, please let us know.

We are always looking for fans which wish to put new articles on the site, whether they are one offs, or if they become a regular feature. If you’re interested, send your details or articles to us and we will publish them or get in touch.

The email as usual is editor@cockneylatic.co.uk.
The upkeep of the site is funded solely from the advertising on site, from our own pockets and donations from users, if you would like donate it would be greatly appreciated, click here for donation page.

Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
jobo

Post by jobo »

josie andrews wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 6:33 am A Latics fan’s opinions of the DW & takeover by Mike Danson.
Mike Danson and Wigan Athletic – A new Whelan era?
by Cockney_Latic | Jun 14, 2023 | News

Dejá vu?
Well, this could really be a case of what’s goes around, comes around. Just over 25 years ago Dave Whelan pulled the Warriors out of the proverbial shit, buying the near bankrupt Rugby League team and giving them a new home, and it looks like Warrior’s owner is looking to do the same for us.

Mr Whelan took over Latics in 1995, saving us from our fate of going out of business, and providing a future which included Wigan Athletic winning the FA Cup, Final of the League Cup, a European Tour, playing in the Charity Shield and spending 8 years in the topflight.

In January 1997 the Latic’s owner came to the call of the Warriors Board with the club’s shareholders approving a deal in which the Central Park stadium would be sold to Wigan Athletic’s owner Dave Whelan and be redeveloped to provide a new home for both the football and rugby teams. Two months later however, the Warriors’ chairman Jack Robinson reneged on the deal, accepting a rival bid from Tesco, pointing out that the supermarket’s offer was three times bigger than Whelan’s.

This meant looking elsewhere for a new stadium for us, and so the ball started rolling with a joint application with Orrell RUFC, which was approved and put in motion.

However, this was not to be last word on it, as Jack Robinson decided he had finally had enough of the town’s rugby team and flirted with the proceeds of the Tesco deal, leaving the Warriors looking for a new place to play.

Building a new one would take a new owner prepared to dig deep, another option was for them to move to Horwich with Bolton Wanderers. But Dave Whelan yet again stepped in and bought the Warriors. With the news that Orrell didn’t want professional Rugby Union, the new Ground was to have the Warriors as lodgers.

This showed true passion from Whelan, as he had been shafted in the past by the old Board, just like they shafted Latics in the 80s. But having put all that behind him, plus the old board and structure gone, a new Rugby Club had been born, albeit with Maurice Lyndsay still at helm.

After the announcement of Maurice Lindsay’s intention to retire in 2007, Whelan managed to persuade him to stay on until the end of the season. After the announcement of Lindsay’s retirement however, Whelan said he would be willing to sell the club after a proposed takeover from a “genuine Wigan fan” earlier in the year.

On 24 October 2007, it was announced that Ian Lenagan had completed his takeover of Wigan Warriors, buying out Whelan’s 89% stake in the club with the deal taking effect from 1 December 2007.

Mike Danson over the past few years, bought into the Warrior’s and looks to take full control in the near future. So will bringing the two Clubs back together work like it did first time round? Well I certainly hope so. Don’t get me wrong, I hated the RL club from the 80s and 90s that wanted to put us under, but even I can see that this club is well and truly in the past, and to be honest, so should our angst.

Like Whelan did 25 years ago, this could be a master stroke that sees both teams thrive with each other, rather than battling over historical grievances. I don’t see a Whelanesque promise of topflight football, far from it. It costs far more now than it did back in 1995, and I don’t see why a new owner would put that investment in, for little or more probably, no return.

What I think we will see is sustainability and hopefully the trust in Shaun Maloney as manager, who has a plan to sustainably keep us in League One in the short term and ultimately over time see progression through the League.

What certainly needs to happen, is for us the fans to get behind the new owner, get behind the manager, get behind the squad. Turn up 30 to 60 minutes earlier and have a drink, a pint, or some food at the ground. Buy something from the club shop, if you are able to. For us to thrive we need to help any way we can.

Mr Danson is a Wiganer and he wants to look after us, but for that to happen, we have to look after ourselves too.

Click here to discuss this issue and many more on the Cockney Latic message board.

Cockney Latic is an independent Wigan Athletic fans site and as such, if you feel you have an article, story or feature you would like to see on the site, please let us know.

We are always looking for fans which wish to put new articles on the site, whether they are one offs, or if they become a regular feature. If you’re interested, send your details or articles to us and we will publish them or get in touch.

The email as usual is editor@cockneylatic.co.uk.
The upkeep of the site is funded solely from the advertising on site, from our own pockets and donations from users, if you would like donate it would be greatly appreciated, click here for donation page.

Did Boris Johnson write this? Sounds a bit like a reverse reality begging letter to me.
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

medlocke wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 8:38 pm

:D I doubt he has that money invested in the bank :lol: :lol:

But your point is a valid one.