DW

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Gaznier

Re: DW

Post by Gaznier »

josie andrews wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 4:15 pm
Gaznier wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 3:50 pm Danson looking to buy latics and the ground.
Source please?

The athletic twitter account.. journalist called Phillip Buckingham..
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Gaznier wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 7:06 pm
josie andrews wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 4:15 pm
Gaznier wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 3:50 pm Danson looking to buy latics and the ground.
Source please?

The athletic twitter account.. journalist called Phillip Buckingham..
But we needed a link when you posted your thread!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

It just might concentrate their minds as HMRC has issued a winding up order against Wigan Athletic.
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

medlocke wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 6:58 pm
the pieman wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 6:55 pm
Lazy J wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 4:41 pm It looks like the Danson rumour came from a comment by Paul Kendrick that has been requoted in an article on a site called theathletic that sits behind a paywall, but can be read on latics speyk

But the winding up order does raise a question, If Danson is looking to buy it, why do it now? He can get it much cheaper on the 26th July, they don't seem to be awash with bidders.
given he's a vested interest in Wigan RL, it would make sense if he's as rich as we are led to believe, that he splashes a few million and keeps the Latics afloat, without them being relegated way back down the league ladder. It may cost him a bit more now, but in the long run, would that be worth it over getting them cheap, but only having 1500 fans on each week

from a rugby perspective, if the Latics are wound up in the courts, where would that leave us? I know they would be looking to get as much as they could to pay for the debts and football debts usually come first and then other creditors, but if the HRMC are involved does that take precedent? Could we not have a home ground to play games on if there is some sort of embargo placed on the latics?
Hence the plan B of playing at Bolton
fair point. As i was alluding to, i dont know all the technicalities of the process if the Latics do get wound up, but there will certainly be implications on Wigan if the ground is part of that process
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

the pieman wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 12:46 pm
medlocke wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 6:58 pm
the pieman wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 6:55 pm

given he's a vested interest in Wigan RL, it would make sense if he's as rich as we are led to believe, that he splashes a few million and keeps the Latics afloat, without them being relegated way back down the league ladder. It may cost him a bit more now, but in the long run, would that be worth it over getting them cheap, but only having 1500 fans on each week

from a rugby perspective, if the Latics are wound up in the courts, where would that leave us? I know they would be looking to get as much as they could to pay for the debts and football debts usually come first and then other creditors, but if the HRMC are involved does that take precedent? Could we not have a home ground to play games on if there is some sort of embargo placed on the latics?
Hence the plan B of playing at Bolton
fair point. As i was alluding to, i dont know all the technicalities of the process if the Latics do get wound up, but there will certainly be implications on Wigan if the ground is part of that process
don't much about it apart from what I was told the other month, Danson is now the major shareholder, If we can't get the JJB then there is plans for a £30 million redevelopment of next door with a short time spent playing at Bolton, don't know how true any of that is but so far so good
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

I don’t want to be going to bloody Bolton!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

josie andrews wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 2:44 pm I don’t want to be going to bloody Bolton!
is it a better option than Leigh or Widnes though :)?

if it gets us a £30m new ground at Robin Park, and away from the turmoil that is currently Wigan Athletic, then i'm sure most would prefer a bit of short term upheaval, rather than not having anywhere to play games full stop.

Depending on what happens to the Latics, with the HMRC and winding up order, we may not be able to play at the DW, so the club needs to have a serious fall back position that can be moved on quickly. If the latics pay their bills whether that be the current owners or any potential new owner, we may not need it. If its Danson, who appears to have been named, then that must be an added security for Wigan, although we dont know his exact role / investment within the club, but pretty sure he'll be taking a vested interest to protect the rugby club
Shaun1967

Post by Shaun1967 »

Danson owns 49% of the Warriors.
“Usually the fans that abuse players like Sam have never done anything of any note themselves. They’re nobodies, whose greatest claim to fame is abusing someone who has, and these so-called ‘Eddie the Experts’ pretend to their mates that they have."

WALLY LEWIS
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

Shaun1967 wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 7:16 pm Danson owns 49% of the Warriors.
Beltin so he has more than just a passing interest in us then

as i posted previously (may have been earlier or a couple of days ago) when the rumour about Danson being interested in the Latics 1st came up. There are a couple of different ways it could be looked at 1. He plays a waiting game to see what happens with the Latics and could pick them up on the cheap if it really goes tits up, but there is then the risk he loses out all together to another bidder (if there are any) 2. He tries to buy them now, but pay more than likely in point 1. However, he is getting a slightly more attractive Latics as they'll just about still be in League 1, instead of possibly way down the football ladder like Bury or 3. He has no interest in the Latics, just WiganRL, and thus we are in the hands of the gods as to what happens to us, and as Meds has posted there are contingency plans in place should be not be allowed to play at the DW. There are probably other scenarios, within the ones i've quickly come up with and others too, but the long and short appears to be he could buy the Latics, and from a rugby perspective we'd be safe at the DW or if he doesnt we could be going round in circles again in the next 12 -18 months as the likelihood is the Latics are going to be going down again to League 2 cos of the points deduction
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

It wouldn't surprise me if Danson bought the Latics (and stadium) thereby owning them and us.

Probably then he would set up a Stadium Management Company (SMC) to run the place on a business basis. Each club would keep their match day revenue and the stadium would create its own revenue on non match days.

Just flying a kite, it also wouldn't surprise me if he (Danson) went to build a new stadium on the Robin Park site. It would have us and the tics playing there with a capacity of 18-19k. State of the art stadium leaving the DW to be demolished and replaced by retail, industrial etc. A lot of discussion with the local council but something that may seem better than paying out £ms repairing an old oversized ground.