Faz

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
The Pearl1

Re: Faz

Post by The Pearl1 »

Still getting over his bad injury at the end of last year and is playing with a knock.

Not been his best but still a consistent performer.

We do need to be looking at replacing him soon though.

He’s fine captain IMO
Graham1

Post by Graham1 »

We’ve got Faz and Isa coming to the end of theirs careers. We need some new blood and we have history of keeping players too long and extending contracts that’s why we lost Nicholson and McDonnell. If we had kept hold of them by giving them game time we would have been sorted for a few years instead we have an ageing back row.

Sorry if I’ve upset Faz fans but he cannot go on forever. We need to be looking for replacements now for next season. Preferably with some size and weight.
archiekeith

Post by archiekeith »

fozzieskem wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 10:33 am For my money he isn't a captain,brilliant player for sure but a bit to quiet on the pitch,not sure how they'll replace him though you'd hope there's a plan in place but players such as his quality don't come around very often
I had similar feelings re Josie's favourite captain with the proviso of "good" for "brilliant " in. the case of Sol
Brennox7

Post by Brennox7 »

You don’t always have to be loud to be a captain. You just have to influence. I played for 20+ years and if you have respect for your skipper you’ll work hard for them regardless of their performances.

I’ve played for some captains who aren’t that good of a player, but committed

Leuleui wasn’t the loudest and I don’t think O Loughlin was much of a commander on the field. They just played the game hard and it makes players want to play just as hard. Hence why most captains are forwards or pivot players.

To contradict myself and divide opinion here but I think we should have gave it to Bateman.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

archiekeith wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 2:23 pm
fozzieskem wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 10:33 am For my money he isn't a captain,brilliant player for sure but a bit to quiet on the pitch,not sure how they'll replace him though you'd hope there's a plan in place but players such as his quality don't come around very often
I had similar feelings re Josie's favourite captain with the proviso of "good" for "brilliant " in. the case of Sol
😊 I was right all along though re Lockers 😊
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
archiekeith

Post by archiekeith »

Yes ok 😜
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

For people who think a captain needs to be loud on the field - there's a difference between activity and action.
craigo

Post by craigo »

Captain because of service. Experience. Can give advice/talk. Doesn't have to be shouting his head off.
I have supported Wigan RL since the late 80s. First game was a cup tie v Barrow. Also a fan of football and Speedway. Have a varied taste in music.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Harry & Sam don’t shout but they do talk a lot during games to the players.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

Off his best but still get's in the team on merit imo.

I also think he will be able to raise his game towards the end of the season.

Next year is a question mark though. How old is he?