Cats v Wigan

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Re: Cats v Wigan

Post by josie andrews »

fozzieskem wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 7:29 pm
Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 6:04 pm
Barney841 wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 5:58 pm

My thoughts exactly. Don’t think either of them were match fit, felt abit sorry for Field thrown in at the deep end really
I get the feeling with the chopping and changing Cust/Hampshire/O’Neill Matty peet doesn’t know what the best combo is
I think he does know his best combo ks,cust and Smith but neither are the same player as last season for some reason I do t see field is the answer either
I questioned Matty Peet about this a few games into the season. ‘Why have you moved Smith to the left & Cust to the right?’ I think that is a big problem & a big difference to last season.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

morley pie eater wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:34 pm I'm far from happy with the performance in terms of players and coaches, and have no desire to justify, excuse or minimise any of it.

Looking at fans' reactions, I do think there's a tendency, perhaps in all of us, to go into "Woe is me, the end of the world is nigh" mode. So a few comments just for balance.

• Try withholding full judgement until the end of the season. All players make mistakes, but it's also hard to shine in a team that's being well beaten.
• Harry Smith is still a young lad with enormous possibilities. He has been badly handled by having kicking responsibilities and effectively being the sole or senior half-back, when he should have been playing alongside an "old head". Personality-wise, he's clearly not a strutting cockerel like Greg or Luke Gale. We need to stop piling so much responsibility on him, and create conditions where he can develop and flourish.
• Not excuses, but with Singo, Cooper and Isa playing, we'd have been a different team.
• There are always a few positives if you look hard enough: Ellis seems to have played long minutes recently and had looked at least half-decent. Mago to a lesser extent, though he should still go at the end of the season. Miski is better than we all thought, despite shooting the line today.

Teams go through bad spells and can come though them. They need our support - it was good to see some of the younger fans still singing at the end today.
It was out of line to start singing "Na na na you’re sh**e & you know you are, you’re sh**e!!” I thought that was in bad taste 🤨
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

josie andrews wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 11:48 pm
fozzieskem wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 7:29 pm
Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 6:04 pm

I get the feeling with the chopping and changing Cust/Hampshire/O’Neill Matty peet doesn’t know what the best combo is
I think he does know his best combo ks,cust and Smith but neither are the same player as last season for some reason I do t see field is the answer either
I questioned Matty Peet about this a few games into the season. ‘Why have you moved Smith to the left & Cust to the right?’ I think that is a big problem & a big difference to last season.
It is a problem and it's getting worse as the season lurches on,I like Cust he,and I've said this many times,allowed Smith to get on with his game but this season it just isn't working,to me this has to be down to the coaching staff,something has gone badly awry with the pair of them aside of course Cust's injury
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

josie andrews wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 11:53 pm
morley pie eater wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:34 pm I'm far from happy with the performance in terms of players and coaches, and have no desire to justify, excuse or minimise any of it.

Looking at fans' reactions, I do think there's a tendency, perhaps in all of us, to go into "Woe is me, the end of the world is nigh" mode. So a few comments just for balance.

• Try withholding full judgement until the end of the season. All players make mistakes, but it's also hard to shine in a team that's being well beaten.
• Harry Smith is still a young lad with enormous possibilities. He has been badly handled by having kicking responsibilities and effectively being the sole or senior half-back, when he should have been playing alongside an "old head". Personality-wise, he's clearly not a strutting cockerel like Greg or Luke Gale. We need to stop piling so much responsibility on him, and create conditions where he can develop and flourish.
• Not excuses, but with Singo, Cooper and Isa playing, we'd have been a different team.
• There are always a few positives if you look hard enough: Ellis seems to have played long minutes recently and had looked at least half-decent. Mago to a lesser extent, though he should still go at the end of the season. Miski is better than we all thought, despite shooting the line today.

Teams go through bad spells and can come though them. They need our support - it was good to see some of the younger fans still singing at the end today.
It was out of line to start singing "Na na na you’re sh**e & you know you are, you’re sh**e!!” I thought that was in bad taste 🤨
On that Josie we agree make a noise and have gallows humour about a day and a performance of course but we'll it was a bit tacky at best.
Suzieb

Post by Suzieb »

Once again as I have previously stated on here our right edge was found out as most teams attack from right to left a good coach should know this and fix it up poor coaching display that will cost him his job if he does not fix it
Mickw

Post by Mickw »

Next week's going to be fun.
Bobby-WRL

Post by Bobby-WRL »

Suzieb wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 8:06 am Once again as I have previously stated on here our right edge was found out as most teams attack from right to left a good coach should know this and fix it up poor coaching display that will cost him his job if he does not fix it
Are you really suggesting he’s even remotely close to losing his job?
I think he would have to lose every game until the end of the season to lose the job . He has that much credit in the bank.

Does no one think he showed what he could do over that Easter period. We looked so much more resilient and if we regather that form in September we will be at OT.
Suzieb

Post by Suzieb »

Anyone who knows anything about rugby knows that Toby King is a poor defender that is why Warrington and Huddersfield did not want him so why is he good enough for us other teams and coaches know this and do target him in matches as we have done when he was at Warrington his only saving grace is when a fit Isa is on his inside who did his graft for him made him look ok not good enough for Wigan give Eckersly a go
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Suzieb wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 8:06 am Once again as I have previously stated on here our right edge was found out as most teams attack from right to left a good coach should know this and fix it up poor coaching display that will cost him his job if he does not fix it
Pretty hard to fix it when your 1st and 2nd choice 2nd row are both out. King still doesn't fill me with confidence defensively but this was covered slightly by Isa and KPP. The only current solution I can see is to move Farrell but we know from last time he was moved to the right that his attacking performances drops.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Suzieb

Post by Suzieb »

Your right cab but we have to give young Eckersly a go nothing lost nothing gained I work with WArrington fans and they say they are glad that King is with us and he’s on mega money