Harry Smith

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
bertina

Harry Smith

Post by bertina »

I don't get all the stick being directed at Harry Smith at the moment. Fair enough, his goal kicking has been below par of late, but in general play, he's been massively under the cosh.
He's been playing without a recognised stand off, behind a pack getting dominated, and receiving the ball from the slowest acting half back in SL. Everything is having to go through him, and the opposition know it.
The lad is getting zero room to work with, and bugger all help from anywhere else, (unless French creates something from nothing).
Southern Softy

Re: Harry Smith

Post by Southern Softy »

Perfect summing-up.
keptinthedarkfans

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

bertina wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 10:47 am I don't get all the stick being directed at Harry Smith at the moment. Fair enough, his goal kicking has been below par of late, but in general play, he's been massively under the cosh.
He's been playing without a recognised stand off, behind a pack getting dominated, and receiving the ball from the slowest acting half back in SL. Everything is having to go through him, and the opposition know it.
The lad is getting zero room to work with, and bugger all help from anywhere else, (unless French creates something from nothing).

I agree with you but matty peet doing him no favours with putting kicking duties on him. That's not to say take it off him completely just let him concentrate on his position till his confidence returns. His body language gives him away at moment.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

I think the issue is some of the unforced errors and basics.

Kicking out on the full in general play
Kicking out on the full from kick off
Poor passing

All of your points above are valid and could explain why he doesn’t look at his best but the above are starting to mount up imo.

There’s a good player in there, we’ve all seen it, but it’s the consistency week in week our, year in year out, that makes you great.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
The Pearl1

Post by The Pearl1 »

He was the form half back in the league when our pack was standing up to teams.

The saints and wire games in particular.

Pack is struggling to lay him a platform.

He’s out of form but still one of our best players when firing. This was always going to happen with a 23 year old who’s playing half back on his own basically.

He has also struggled since that late shot on him in the Leeds home game.

He had my support and will turn it round soon enough.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Cue the "Shaun Edwards was good enough at 23" argument.

I agree with all of you. Smith is good but needs support.
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

morley pie eater wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 4:49 pm Cue the "Shaun Edwards was good enough at 23" argument.

I agree with all of you. Smith is good but needs support.
What about the 14 Origin players I mentioned?
Mauny6

Harry smith

Post by Mauny6 »

Not good enough. No speed can't open up a defence and kicking shit. Need a decent halfback whether from super league or spend and bring an nrl half in.
Ipinwigan

Re: Harry smith

Post by Ipinwigan »

Absolute crap, he's let down by the pack, it's only his goal kicking that needs to get better
Blackpool_Pie

Re: Harry smith

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

He's making the odd mistake but so is everyone at the moment