Shocking Warriors fans v Saints (A)

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
moto748

Re: Shocking Warriors fans v Saints (A)

Post by moto748 »

But I thought it was that we were supposed to be better than football fans, and could be trusted with a beer without chucking it all over the place?
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

as someone who used to stand under the Sullivan Bar at Central Park, can i just say that this isnt a new thing

it was happening 30+ years ago, and there was nothing better than it being packed, and unfortunately, there was some idiots then who used to throw their ale when Wigan scored, some was accidental but equally quite a bit wasnt

the big difference now is that at the DW we are seated, so in the main, the issue has gone, although we get the occasional problem at big home games

for away games where there is standing, and like minded fans congregate and drink to excess, then it is likely to create problems. If it was served in plastic pint pots, whilst you will still get the spillage / thrown ale, there is little or no chance of anyone getting injured from a plastic bottle. Throwing bottles at players full stop is wrong, and they should be hawked out and banned from future games. There are 2 sides to this, 1. as we have heard the bottle(s) have hit Wigan fans and 2. they are happy to give Saints (or other team players) s*** all game, but when they score and give a bit back, take it, and dont throw bottles at them, as that it likely to have major repercussions on fans attending games in the future
jobo

Post by jobo »

They can't be glass bottles surely.
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

jobo wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:14 am They can't be glass bottles surely.
no they are plastic bottles, but i recall Wire used to remove the tops when you bought one from the bar, with the reason, that the contents will empty if they are thrown. Bear in mind as i was with my dad and young daughter, so by no means going to be throwing our drinks

unsure about Saints last week, but you would think at minimum the tops would be removed if the above theory is correct. I personally dont think it will make much difference, as a full bottle will lose very little being thrown and heading in a downwards direction