Amor Spot On

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Firestarter

Re: Amor Spot On

Post by Firestarter »

josie andrews wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 11:03 am
Wintergreen wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 8:51 am
up the junction wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 8:50 am We should never have got shut of Ollie Party .
He wasn't very big though was he?
He was bigger than you think, & always played with passion for Wigan. He got control of his over aggressiveness which used to see him sent off regularly for the academy.

He wasn’t getting game time!
Big loss imo
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Firestarter wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 3:57 pm
josie andrews wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 11:03 am
Wintergreen wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 8:51 am

He wasn't very big though was he?
He was bigger than you think, & always played with passion for Wigan. He got control of his over aggressiveness which used to see him sent off regularly for the academy.

He wasn’t getting game time!
Big loss imo
Ditto.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Lachlan Fitzgibbon is off-contract at the end of the season. Is this guy any good for you that watch the NRL?
Newcastle Knights forward open to Super League move as recruitment market picks up
The back-rower is off-contract at the end of the season.

Newcastle Knights forward Lachlan Fitzgibbon is understood to be considering a move to Super League next year. Rugby League Live understands the 29-year-old back-rower is open to exploring his options in the competition for 2024, with his current deal down under coming to an end.

Fitzgibbon, who has made 107 NRL appearances, has spent his entire career with the Knights having made his debut in 2015. However, he is believed to be open to the possibility of playing in Super League next season as talks surrounding his future continue to evolve.

An ever-present for Adam O'Brien's side this season, Fitzgibbon has played every single minute of their campaign so far. He has scored three tries this season and the Knights are currently 14th on the NRL ladder.

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/ru ... e-26819247
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

josie andrews wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 4:27 pm Lachlan Fitzgibbon is off-contract at the end of the season. Is this guy any good for you that watch the NRL?
Newcastle Knights forward open to Super League move as recruitment market picks up
The back-rower is off-contract at the end of the season.

Newcastle Knights forward Lachlan Fitzgibbon is understood to be considering a move to Super League next year. Rugby League Live understands the 29-year-old back-rower is open to exploring his options in the competition for 2024, with his current deal down under coming to an end.

Fitzgibbon, who has made 107 NRL appearances, has spent his entire career with the Knights having made his debut in 2015. However, he is believed to be open to the possibility of playing in Super League next season as talks surrounding his future continue to evolve.

An ever-present for Adam O'Brien's side this season, Fitzgibbon has played every single minute of their campaign so far. He has scored three tries this season and the Knights are currently 14th on the NRL ladder.

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/ru ... e-26819247
Don’t recognise the name josie
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
moto748

Post by moto748 »

josie andrews wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 11:09 am We never run onto a ball, our forwards are almost level with the dummy half or first receiver so we are always flat footed & then we don’t gain any yards!

People say, rugby league is a simple game, and it is. When you watch the best attacking teams, say Penrith or the Rabbitohs, just what is it that makes them so good? The first thing you notice is that every single carry has real purpose, wherever it is on the pitch, and usually players receive the ball at pace, not a standstill. And they take some stopping! I know they calculate metres made differently over there, but what would, I think, be illuminating would be a comparison of post-contact metres.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Fitzgibbon never struck me as anything special. Newcastle have been rubbish for years.
Blackpool_Pie

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

I'm not overly bothered about sheer size. Many people point at height as size but our best props over the recent years have been around the 6ft mark. Best example for me was Ben Flower. I was a huge fan of his. He wasn't absolutely massive. I think he was around 6ft so shorter than all our current props. It was his explosiveness and sheet tenacity that made him so good. He would explode into contact and then carry on making post contact yards.
I used to watch him in the warmup hitting up into tackle shields and he was always the one looking sharpest. He used to do big numbers all over the pitch too. That's what we're missing. Our forwards are too soft now. We are too passive.
The Pearl1

Post by The Pearl1 »

up the junction wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 8:50 am We should never have got shut of Ollie Party .
Talk about rose tinted glasses jeez. Good lad and decent player but he got a great deal at Salford And wasn’t progressing at Wigan.
up the junction

Post by up the junction »

What have tinted specs got do with owt ?? I’m saying we need props with heart as Ollie had . I can guarantee if was still ere and playing he would show more heart than this lot .
EagleEyePie

Post by EagleEyePie »

Partington basically embodied the issues mentioned in the original post. He put in plenty of effort but wasn't built like most forwards and just couldn't make much ground with the ball in hand. What we really lack is strong ball carriers so I don't see how much of a difference Partington would have made.

Don't get me wrong, he's probably got more to offer than Singleton does currently, but essentially Partington is a loose forward not a prop, so his competition is with Smithies, Shorrocks and then pretty much every other 'middle' who can play loose forward too. We've got a lot of depth in that area so it made sense to let someone go.

He was a bit of a compromise between what we get from Smithies and Shorrocks. He can't match Smithies as a ball carrier, he can't match Shorrocks as a ball player, but he was somewhere in the middle. He provides lots of effort but not a huge amount of impact, which is the case for a lot of our forwards.