Brenko Lee

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
Big stick

Re: Brenko Lee

Post by Big stick »

Karl Carpenter wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 9:58 pm
Jonh wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 2:14 pm
Big stick wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 11:24 pm

I’m not sure he’s filled out enough yet to get first team rugby at SL. I’d like Wigan to give him another year and maybe get him in a SL side see how he matches up. All I’ve heard about this Lee chap doesn’t sound good. Especially the part about the injuries. I hope the club can start to make some shrewd signing and clear out who needs to go
The desire to chuck in kids by some fans is baffling.

Eckersley is a top prospect..but a prospect non the less. Next year will hopefully be mainly on loan with a recall clause and the year after he probably needs regular first team exposure. With a view to being a regular starter in 2026 if he passes the development tests in 24 & 25.

Lee is a very good player. He was playing Origin 3 years ago and played in a winning Grand Final team. He is very highly rated by Wayne Bennett as a player.

The elephant in the room is obviously his injury record which has prevented him from kicking on.

If King leaves as seem likely we desperately need to replace him with a senior centre.

Lee would be a huge risk because if his injury record but for some to claim he is “average” is wide of the mark.

The policy could be that we are willing to accept his injury record knowing we have Eckersley waiting as cover so he gets some exposure without being 100% reliant on him to step up for the duration of the season.
Eckersley is playing regular Championship rugby against seasoned professionals and needs to be “chucked in” at some point or he may end up playing elsewhere. Will he wait for regular first team exposure until 2025? If King leaves we can surely do better than a player with a recent history of leg injuries.
Seasoned professionals? Playing against part time players and over the hill players more like. Playing against FT player is a big step up. I don’t understand your argument on loosing him; he’s 19 and isn’t the biggest of lads. Why introduce a player that isn’t ready just in case we loose him? I trust Wigan are managing his expectations and will give him game time when it’s right.
Flash

Post by Flash »

Big stick wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 10:35 pm

Eckersley is a top prospect..but a prospect non the less. Next year will hopefully be mainly on loan with a recall clause and the year after he probably needs regular first team exposure. With a view to being a regular starter in 2026 if he passes the development tests in 24 & 25.

Lee is a very good player. He was playing Origin 3 years ago and played in a winning Grand Final team. He is very highly rated by Wayne Bennett as a player.

The elephant in the room is obviously his injury record which has prevented him from kicking on.

If King leaves as seem likely we desperately need to replace him with a senior centre.

Lee would be a huge risk because if his injury record but for some to claim he is “average” is wide of the mark.

The policy could be that we are willing to accept his injury record knowing we have Eckersley waiting as cover so he gets some exposure without being 100% reliant on him to step up for the duration of the season.
Eckersley is playing regular Championship rugby against seasoned professionals and needs to be “chucked in” at some point or he may end up playing elsewhere. Will he wait for regular first team exposure until 2025? If King leaves we can surely do better than a player with a recent history of leg injuries.
Seasoned professionals? Playing against part time players and over the hill players more like. Playing against FT player is a big step up. I don’t understand your argument on loosing him; he’s 19 and isn’t the biggest of lads. Why introduce a player that isn’t ready just in case we loose him? I trust Wigan are managing his expectations and will give him game time when it’s right.
He's 6' 3" and knocking on 15 stone. I think that's pretty big for a centre, let alone a 19 year old one!
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

The lad will play some first team rugby this season.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Flash wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 2:19 am
Karl Carpenter wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 9:58 pm Eckersley is playing regular Championship rugby against seasoned professionals and needs to be “chucked in” at some point or he may end up playing elsewhere. Will he wait for regular first team exposure until 2025? If King leaves we can surely do better than a player with a recent history of leg injuries.
He's 6' 3" and knocking on 15 stone. I think that's pretty big for a centre, let alone a 19 year old one!
Dont forget Sam Tomkins was 17ft 6 and 250stone when he broke in to the time otherwise he wouldnt of made it
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Big stick

Post by Big stick »

Didn’t we need to bring Tomkins in at the time due to the injuries also played in a different position. Zach is down as a FB and Centre, he’s not getting in over French or Fields at FB. So that leaves Centres which we have two of. Up until recently King has been good and has made this weeks squad so chances are the club are backing him. The size comment to me he doesn’t look the biggest and I’m happy to be proven wrong and he does get game time and kicks on but it can easily go the other way we’re he’s introduced to soon in a side low on form. I trust the club will put the lad in when it’s right and aLeo be having discussions with him
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 10:30 am

Dont forget Sam Tomkins was 17ft 6 and 250stone when he broke in to the time otherwise he wouldnt of made it
:lol:
DaiJones

Post by DaiJones »

[/quote]

You're just being silly aren't you? I saw Tomkins in Tesco and he's maybe 17ft 2 at the absolute outside
Flash

Post by Flash »

Big stick wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 12:30 pm Didn’t we need to bring Tomkins in at the time due to the injuries also played in a different position. Zach is down as a FB and Centre, he’s not getting in over French or Fields at FB. So that leaves Centres which we have two of. Up until recently King has been good and has made this weeks squad so chances are the club are backing him. The size comment to me he doesn’t look the biggest and I’m happy to be proven wrong and he does get game time and kicks on but it can easily go the other way we’re he’s introduced to soon in a side low on form. I trust the club will put the lad in when it’s right and aLeo be having discussions with him
Have I not just done exactly that? I really don't get this comment at all. He's 6' 3"!!! He must have a really bad stoop or something...
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Flash wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 1:58 pm
Big stick wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 12:30 pm Didn’t we need to bring Tomkins in at the time due to the injuries also played in a different position. Zach is down as a FB and Centre, he’s not getting in over French or Fields at FB. So that leaves Centres which we have two of. Up until recently King has been good and has made this weeks squad so chances are the club are backing him. The size comment to me he doesn’t look the biggest and I’m happy to be proven wrong and he does get game time and kicks on but it can easily go the other way we’re he’s introduced to soon in a side low on form. I trust the club will put the lad in when it’s right and aLeo be having discussions with him
Have I not just done exactly that? I really don't get this comment at all. He's 6' 3"!!! He must have a really bad stoop or something...
People bang on about size - if you front or back rower its not really a concern bloody hell Rob Burrow probably couldnt get on a ride at alton towers when he was playing and was one of the best to do it!
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 10:30 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐